CFP Discussion

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Not that I think it will happen, but I do wonder if GA or Alabama were to be left out of the national championship game, what that would do for TV viewership nationally. Good or bad ?
Last thing I want to see is a lopsided game like last year

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Not that I think it will happen, but I do wonder if GA or Alabama were to be left out of the national championship game, what that would do for TV viewership nationally. Good or bad ?
Last thing I want to see is a lopsided game like last year
I actually think interest would increase if the SEC is left out. The downside of the SEC’s relentless campaign of “we are the best” is that it actually turns off a lot of people and they get tired of watching the same old games.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Washington will get destroyed in the playoffs.
I doubt that.

They have more wins against FBS teams with winning records than any other team in the country. They have more road/neutral wins against winning FBS teams than anyone else.

They are very battle tested in close games.

I don't see them as being an easy out at all. As they get healthier and get all their offensive weapons back they may start to look like the team from the first 4-5 games of the season.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I actually think interest would increase if the SEC is left out. The downside of the SEC’s relentless campaign of “we are the best” is that it actually turns off a lot of people and they get tired of watching the same old games.
That's my thought, but I think the networks view it differently. Just look at the ticket prices for the conference games, If you go off that then the networks likely see higher viewership for an SEC team being in there.
My issue, is that if you do GA / Alabama against anyone else, you will likely see a blow out like last year's national championship

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That's my thought, but I think the networks view it differently. Just look at the ticket prices for the conference games, If you go off that then the networks likely see higher viewership for an SEC team being in there.
My issue, is that if you do GA / Alabama against anyone else, you will likely see a blow out like last year's national championship
Wasn’t the National Championship game last year the least watched since the playoffs?

Yes, SEC fans never miss watching their cult members 🤣 but there are a lot of people in other parts of the country who tune out when there’s too much SEC saturation on TV.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Wasn’t the National Championship game last year the least watched since the playoffs?

Yes, SEC fans never miss watching their cult members 🤣 but there are a lot of people in other parts of the country who tune out when there’s too much SEC saturation on TV.
It had nothing to do with the fact that uga was playing TCU and the final score 65-7? Nope, it is SEC fatigue. Ok

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It had nothing to do with the fact that uga was playing TCU and the final score 65-7? Nope, it is SEC fatigue. Ok
The numbers were down because people didn’t tune in.

I didn’t watch, don’t know anyone who did. The Ohio State vs uga game was the one everyone was eager to see with fans outside the SEC.

slugboy

Staff member
People remember the UGA - TCU blowout, but not the game they nearly lost to Ohio State (and probably should have).

Oregon, Ohio State, Penn State, Washington, Oregon, and Texas can all go toe-to-toe with anyone. I’d expect them to beat Bama.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I still fully believe FSU is on the outside looking in. They'd be in easily with Jordan Travis but I think the committee is going to (wrongfully) take that into account.
I hope you are wrong but just saw that FSUs 2nd string QB is now ruled out for today's game. They are down to the 3rd string at least for today's game.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I hope you are wrong but just saw that FSUs 2nd string QB is now ruled out for today's game. They are down to the 3rd string at least for today's game.
Its official? I have been hearing all week that it may happen.
Terrible news for FSU. I COMPLETELY disagree with those who think FSU is out of CFP with a win, but a win today sounds like a real uphill battle.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I really just don't think Louisville is very good. You can probably throw the 4th string QB out there and FSU will win.

Louisville will probably start the game 14-3 or some **** but they'll fold.

slugboy

Staff member
Texas getting in would do wonders for TV ratings. That would by my rational for why they could jump FSU in almost every scenario.
FSU is also a popular team with high TV ratings

If you’re going to knock a team out for popularity, it’s Washington. The problem is Washington might be the best team in college football.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Wrong. Bama vs. OSU the prior year was lower than Uga vs. Bama.
Counting the Covid year is not really fair considering all live sports ratings were down. Even the Super Bowl with Tom Brady vs. Patrick Mahomes drew its lowest viewership numbers in decades. UGA vs. Bama was the lowest non-Covid national championship, immediately de-throned by UGA vs. TCU the next year.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Counting the Covid year is not really fair considering all live sports ratings were down. Even the Super Bowl with Tom Brady vs. Patrick Mahomes drew its lowest viewership numbers in decades. UGA vs. Bama was the lowest non-Covid national championship, immediately de-throned by UGA vs. TCU the next year.
Fair? I was merely stating a fact. Do you think there might some lingering aftereffects of Covid that drove down uga vs. Bama and not just SEC fatigue since it actually drew more viewership than the games preceding and after it. Do you not think a uga vs. Michigan would have had a lot more viewership than TCU last year? If that is the match up this year with both undefeated, I doubt we will be discussing SEC fatigue