CDS staff speculation.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
So we’ve gotten to the point where we have to belittle the coaching hires of one GT team in order to prop up the coaching hires of another GT team. Am I missing something?

(PS I am very happy with the hiring of Coach Damon and the assistants he’s bringing in)
I will acknowledge, for the poster that I was responding to (who, to be clear, asked if we even made hires for basketball in a thread that discusses those hires), perhaps I should have let the uninformed characterization that there is no buzz around the basketball staff speak for itself. In the moment, I thought that was closer to a shot at GT staff than my own response.

I think folks are overly sensitive and I disagree that I was belittling. I never said the football coaches were bad hires. I frankly have no clue and think it's TBD. I am trying to articulate that no one on a national level was particularly impressed. Whereas, our new AHC for basketball has gotten a lot of buzz.

Even though I don't value the stat as much, I like that our SID is pushing the narrative around titles won for the football guys. I'd rather them be associated with winning than not. There aren't a lot of other stats to promote for them in the absence of that.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Staff believed to be in place so far:
  • Damon Stoudamire - Head Coach
  • Karl Hobbs - Associate Head Coach
  • Pershin Williams - Assistant Coach
  • BJ Elder - support staff
  • Tyler Benson - support staff (hunch based on still retweeting GT stuff)
  • Hayden Sheridan - support staff (hunch based on still retweeting GT stuff)
We expect a 3rd bench/recruiting assistant and a Special Assistant To The Head Coach (job posting) to be added.

Also, the NCAA is now allowing the "teaching" coaching staff to be 6 with 4 designated to recruit off campus. This probably creates a fluid situation to add another spot somewhere in there.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We expect a 3rd bench/recruiting assistant and a Special Assistant To The Head Coach (job posting) to be added.

Also, the NCAA is now allowing the "teaching" coaching staff to be 6 with 4 designated to recruit off campus. This probably creates a fluid situation to add another spot somewhere in there.
What's your take on the 3rd bench / recruiting assistant? What's the profile look like there?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What's your take on the 3rd bench / recruiting assistant? What's the profile look like there?
Hard to say. I've had my eyes on a couple of coaches via my usual conspiracy theories, but I think I'm wrong on them.

From a recruiting standpoint, I think we need someone with either national or West Coast coverage or another Georgia person with tendrils reaching into other regions.

Hobbs seems likely to cover the Northeast prep schools and DMV. Those are two areas we really should have a better presence in.

We're a national/international school. We should have a staff that recruits kids that way.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hard to say. I've had my eyes on a couple of coaches via my usual conspiracy theories, but I think I'm wrong on them.

From a recruiting standpoint, I think we need someone with either national or West Coast coverage or another Georgia person with tendrils reaching into other regions.

Hobbs seems likely to cover the Northeast prep schools and DMV. Those are two areas we really should have a better presence in.

We're a national/international school. We should have a staff that recruits kids that way.

I remember this sentiment when Groh was hired on the fall side. Makes sense.

I agree that you have no clue.

Aw, let's give ol @CuseJacket a break.

Who among us hasn't stepped in it every once in a while? I mean, other than me. I have a pretty stellar track record 'round these parts. :sneaky:

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
My take is both football and basketball have better head coaches and assistants than last year. Both teams have lost a number of players to the portal and it remains to be seen whether inbound portal players and recruiting can improve the quality of our talent. Coaches can clearly make players better but having a good baseline talent pool is importabt to getting both programs to the next level.

slugboy

Staff member
For Key, he had been Interim HC for most of the season, and he had a staff in mind. I would call many of those coaches “younger” coaches, but they’re not THAT young. I had seen press linking him to more senior coaches, but in particular he hired one at LB coach. I think Key surrounded himself with up-and-comers, solid coaches, plus one “old hand” (who isn’t even that old). Key had a point of view on the staff he wanted to build, and executed well on it.

Stoudamire was more of a sudden hire. He was looking for a head coaching job, and probably a P6 coaching job, but not necessarily GT. There also seems to be a scheme behind the hires, and a point of view on how to build a staff.
  1. A coach with solid NCAA head coaching experience—a consigliere. He also knows the northeast and mid Atlantic where we’ve gotten great players in the past
  2. A local coach tied into the local recruiting community
  3. (To be hired) a coach with western or midwestern recruiting experience? International?
  4. A staff of non-bench assistants with varied recruiting experience
It looks like there’s a decent or even really good plan the basketball staff. I think Stoudamire has solid NCAA experience, but if you don’t agree, then why wouldn’t you like Hobbs to have Stoudamire’s back?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
When you step in it you should then clean it up rather than spreading it around.
Let me clean it up for him, a little.

It’s not necessarily that our FB staff wasn’t terribly impressive nationally, it’s that there weren’t really any talking heads or pundants lauding the hires. There wasn’t a lot of air time dedicated to discussing Key building his staff. No one was out there saying “I’m not impressed,” but neither were they saying “ooo…did you see that Brent Key brought on CXXXX? Awesome hire!”

I agree with @CuseJacket in that we don’t know how this staff is going to perform. We’re ALL excited to see GT return to winning ways and are hopeful this group of coaches are going to get us there.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Isn't there a law in GA that all positions must be posted to the public for a specified period before making a hire?

If that's the case, I would not be surprised if the bolded positions are already "settled" and GT is just going through procedural requirements.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Isn't there a law in GA that all positions must be posted to the public for a specified period before making a hire?

If that's the case, I would not be surprised if the bolded positions are already "settled" and GT is just going through procedural requirements.
Entirely possible. I'm talking more about the positions we have no insight into yet, the way Hobbs & Williams have leaked.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I recall this being said during one of our previous hiring processes. That the job had to be posted for 10 or w/e number of days.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

"Elite positive energy giver"?

Sound like anybody you know?

Look At Me Reaction GIF by WWE

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Ok, so I may have missed some, but I moved the thread drift here: