Building an Offensive Line

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This article focuses on Sanders trying to build on OL at CO his way and why it may be more difficult than he thinks.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ensive-line-overhaul-ahead-of-crucial-year-2/

The most interesting quotes to me were these

"Out of nine offensive linemen picked in the first round of the 2024 NFL Draft, only one transferred at any point. That player, Oklahoma's Tyler Guyton, still spent two years with the Sooners before prepping for the draft. The rest were homegrown high school recruits. "

"Last season, four teams were named finalists for the Joe Moore Award, given to the best offensive line in football: Georgia, Oregon LSU and eventual winner Washington. Among those four teams, three of the four returned at least three starters. Out of the 20 starters between the four, 19 were on the roster during the previous season. Only two players ever transferred. "

"In many ways, offensive lines tell the story of a program. Consistently attracting high-level recruits out of high school proves attraction. Turning them into a winning unit, teaching them to communicate and sending them to the next level shows developmental track record. ...historically there's no cheating the process along the offensive line. "

The article also mentions that CO has only 11 OL on its roster, 2 of which were on the team last year.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
The CO approach is also what TFG tried to do in his tenure at Tech. It didn’t work well.
That wasn't the OL's problem. Half the OL was blocking for the wrong play on most downs. Can't blame them, our OC didn't even know what offense he was running.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This article focuses on Sanders trying to build on OL at CO his way and why it may be more difficult than he thinks.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ensive-line-overhaul-ahead-of-crucial-year-2/

The most interesting quotes to me were these

"Out of nine offensive linemen picked in the first round of the 2024 NFL Draft, only one transferred at any point. That player, Oklahoma's Tyler Guyton, still spent two years with the Sooners before prepping for the draft. The rest were homegrown high school recruits. "

"Last season, four teams were named finalists for the Joe Moore Award, given to the best offensive line in football: Georgia, Oregon LSU and eventual winner Washington. Among those four teams, three of the four returned at least three starters. Out of the 20 starters between the four, 19 were on the roster during the previous season. Only two players ever transferred. "

"In many ways, offensive lines tell the story of a program. Consistently attracting high-level recruits out of high school proves attraction. Turning them into a winning unit, teaching them to communicate and sending them to the next level shows developmental track record. ...historically there's no cheating the process along the offensive line. "

The article also mentions that CO has only 11 OL on its roster, 2 of which were on the team last year.

Fact 1.
The Good Qbs, who attract the good WR, love a good Ol and hate a bad Ol.
Fact 2
Good ol men love a good ol coach.
1 plus 2 = pay a great ol coach with a good base salary and great performance bonus plan.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
That wasn't the OL's problem. Half the OL was blocking for the wrong play on most downs. Can't blame them, our OC didn't even know what offense he was running.
Yep. Our practices under the TFG were a joke. It's no surprise that the OL suffered. That's particularly so because the positions are actually a) very hard to learn and b) depend on linemen being able to backfill for their teammates and c) that depends on working together and knowing each other's strengths and weaknesses. This takes time, practice, and game experience. You can't get that from the portal, as Neon will soon learn. It seems that our OL is building for both next season and for the future.

Now all we have to do is keep the core intact and stroke the replacements.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m curious about the transfer rate for other first rounders. I’d expect blue chip all-world players to be less likely to transfer if they also stand out in HS - so get to pick their destination - and then quickly make their way up the depth chart.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I’m curious about the transfer rate for other first rounders. I’d expect blue chip all-world players to be less likely to transfer if they also stand out in HS - so get to pick their destination - and then quickly make their way up the depth chart.
Well 4 of the 6 QBs selected in the top 12 picks transferred. That is a very high percentage.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
You’ve nailed part of the problem, for sure, but I’ll still maintain that the revolving door we had at OL for 3 years was detrimental to their effectiveness.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Back to the question on how many of the selections have transferred. Seems like off hand 35-40% have transferred. Might be higher. As RR pointed out not so much for the OL.