Bowl Projections & Rumors

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Sorry but that's bull****. If we are picking the four best teams, Georgia is one of them. No matter how much we hate them.
Without being personal can I just say

angry half baked GIF

All levels of hating on the dwags are acceptable.....

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Sorry but that's bull****. If we are picking the four best teams, Georgia is one of them. No matter how much we hate them.
Maybe there isn’t a “Best Four” this year.

I think Louisville proved they are as good as most teams in the country and they didn’t get in. Except for some flukes, bad penalty calls and miracle finishes, a lot of teams would have a similar record to Louisville. The only head to head contests that looked meaningful at this point were Texas vs Alabama and FSU vs LSU and Florida. Otherwise this year looks like a parity year to me unless Washington proves they are as good as advertised. Anyway I suspect the top 6 or 7 teams would include uga and there might be little difference between them.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree with the first sentence. Absolutely disagree with the second. The best teams are proven so on the field. uga lost to Alabama, who lost to Texas. FSU lost to no one. Washington lost to no one. Michigan lost to no one. There should have been no debate over the 4 teams in the Playoff. PERIOD!
I agree on the playoff. But if we are going to cite "best" teams based on talent and all that nonsense, it's pure horse**** to put Alabama over FSU but not Georgia over FSU too.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Everyone realizes, do they not, that is mathematically possible for Tech to not make a bowl now, right?

Don’t get me wrong, I fully expect Tech to get a bowl, but it would be typical Tech luck to get squeezed out now that all ACC teams have been down shifted.
There are 79 bowl eligible teams based on winning 6 games. JMU and Jacksonville St. get the next two spots as 6-win transitioning teams. Minnesota gets the last spot as a 5-win team. It's just a matter of who plays whom and where.

slugboy

Staff member
I just don't understand the committee's logic.

If winning your games matters most, then it should've been Michigan, Washington, FSU and Texas.

If not, and you can leave out an undefeated conference champ for extenuating reasons. If the goal is to get the four 'best teams'. Then leave out Michigan for cheating, FSU for injuries and Washington because the Pac12 is a joke. Make it Ohio State, Texas, Bama and GA.

Only thing I can think is the 'committee' (ie TV execs) just wanted two (soon to be) SEC teams and two (soon to be) B1G teams. But if they're going for the best matchups for TV ratings, should've been Michigan, Texas, Bama and GA.
For some reason, the committee’s logic favors Alabama. This is the second time that other teams would have been out based on tiebreakers that Alabama was included.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
Back to GT news.... Mandel from the Athletic now has us playing Northwestern in the Music City Bowl citing the SEC not filling the spot because of all the NY6 games they are going to get.
This would be awesome! Dec. 30th game in Nashville would be fun. Wasn’t even on our radar but with uga & fsu getting pushed out, everything is shifting.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe there isn’t a “Best Four” this year.

I think Louisville proved they are as good as most teams in the country and they didn’t get in. Except for some flukes, bad penalty calls and miracle finishes, a lot of teams would have a similar record to Louisville. The only head to head contests that looked meaningful at this point were Texas vs Alabama and FSU vs LSU and Florida. Otherwise this year looks like a parity year to me unless Washington proves they are as good as advertised. Anyway I suspect the top 6 or 7 teams would include uga and there might be little difference between them.
This 100%. There is no such thing as "the best four teams". Teams present different matchup problems for their opponents. Team A could be a matchup problem for Team B and therefore better than Team A, while Team B could for the same reason be better than Team C, while Team C for the same reason can be better than Team A. It's not always true, but I think in most seasons there is no such thing as the "best 4 teams".

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
This 100%. There is no such thing as "the best four teams". Teams present different matchup problems for their opponents. Team A could be a matchup problem for Team B and therefore better than Team A, while Team B could for the same reason be better than Team C, while Team C for the same reason can be better than Team A. It's not always true, but I think in most seasons there is no such thing as the "best 4 teams".
No you're wrong. SEC champion plays the best competition week in and week out and has the best offense, defense, and special teams of all. No non-SEC school presents a bad matchup to them.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
This is an idiotic statement. Alabama nor Texas is better than FSU. You prove it on the field, and FSU did. Alabama lost by 10 at home and if not for the luckiest of breaks would have lost to Auburn, a 6-6 team. FSU beat 3 Top15 teams, as good as ANY of the two 1-loss teams. The SEC was a weak conference this year, essentially losing all high-level head-to-head OOC match-ups. Head-to-head, the ACC outplayed the SEC. Anyone who says either Texas or Alabama deserved to be in the Playoff or is a better team than FSU this year is an...well, I'll just stop there.
Guess I'm an idiot

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Is it just me or does Michigan look slow?

The playoffs will, as usual, be about matchups. I actually think a team like Oregon matches up better than some of these teams. Saban is the wild card. I think he is a better game coach than the others.