Bowl Game Thought

wuzjrbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
OK, first let me say I think we are fine at A-back for the Orange Bowl, but what do you guys think about Conners at B, Days and Laskey at A-back at various times during the game? Lot of beef in the backfield and Days and Laskey are pretty good receivers, not to mention all are seniors. Don't think it would hurt us and could be fun to watch. This is hypothetical, please none of the coaches would never do this stuff, or I know someone who said this will never happen. This is just for fun.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Kind of like a goal line package? I would like it. Kind of reminds me seeing one the cox brothers when we he was at a back, if I remember that right

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I think a lot of what we do is designed to keep the defense guessing what will happen after the snap. I don't think coach likes to tip his hand via formation and substitution, but that's just a guess. I've seen a successful rocket toss on the goal line more than once as well as pitches of triple option. Obviously a majority of the time we're going to go to the QB, but that's just my thought.

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow
I think this game-a bowl game against a top ten SEC team-is second to UGA in importance this year for CPJ to show the world that GT is going to the top. Do what it takes with the same resolve for the UGA and Clemson games this year. Go Jackets.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Imagine a future goal line offense with byerly at qb, michel lands Davis and legget at slot, and glanton at b-back. That would be an automatic touchdown. Think of the midline having two of those rb's leading the way

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
I think this game-a bowl game against a top ten SEC team-is second to UGA in importance this year for CPJ to show the world that GT is going to the top. Do what it takes with the same resolve for the UGA and Clemson games this year. Go Jackets.

I think GT will. I kept waiting for this team to wither down the stretch (like some previous CPJ teams), but they didn't. The performance against F$U was amazing - they gave it all they had and then some. I've never been so proud in defeat. And so, off to the Orange Bowl - again! :) I'm starting to feel it. GT has all the momentum going into this game and still feels like it has something to prove.

I've been trolling the little dawggies message boards. They're awfully quiet about this game. Ever since the matchup was announced and the initial "we're in the uber-SEC and we're going to stomp them" comments, they aren't saying anything. They're more interested in talking about SEC hoops for crying out loud. Their DC has left, and Mullen's name is being mentioned for the Michigan job. Maybe they're starting to realize what is coming. This game could be another swift kick in the cajones for them.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Mullen has probably missed the boat for a HC job better than Miss St. at this point. Michigan is offering Harbaugh $8 million a year :wideyed:

I do like Byerly inside the 5. The midline/BB follow type of inside run game just isn't JT's strong suit. He's so good everywhere else it doesn't really matter. I do think a lot of coaches overthink the goal line stuff though. Make it easy and do one of two things: I think you either pack everything in like you want to stuff it up the middle (hence bringing all of the defense inside) and then run a toss/speed option type of play where it's a foot race for the far pylon - which is almost indefensible barring a ridiculous play by the defense. Or, do the opposite of that. Spread everything out 4 wide or trips to the wide side of the field and then let QB or RB bust through the line with fewer DL and LBers.

That's why rocket toss and the counters to it are so effective at the goal line. Especially when we do the bunch formation and bring the force player down inside. When we block reasonably decent it's really hard to stop that play for no gain or a loss.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
If we would have put Byerly in against UGAG on that goaline stand we would have easily punched it in...take JT out in those situations...it's just common sense to me...

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
If we would have put Byerly in against UGAG on that goaline stand we would have easily punched it in...take JT out in those situations...it's just common sense to me...
I disagree. First off, JT did make it in, the refs just chose to ignore that. Second, we put Byerly in and we basically tip our hand that it's a QB keeper. With JT in, yes odds are we are just going to stuff it right up the middle, but the threat of the perimeter attack is still strong so they can't sell out to stuff the middle.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I disagree. First off, JT did make it in, the refs just chose to ignore that. Second, we put Byerly in and we basically tip our hand that it's a QB keeper. With JT in, yes odds are we are just going to stuff it right up the middle, but the threat of the perimeter attack is still strong so they can't sell out to stuff the middle.
Agree. Short of JT being banged up (say hobbled by an ankle sprain) you keep him in.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
And I have seen too many bad initial center-quarterback exchanges that occurred due to quarterback switch-outs to feel good about having making a goal line change as standard policy. Of course it matters not what I think anyway.