Bobby Dodd Renovation in the NE Stands

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
And where are you going to replace all of those parking spaces? Must be, what, spaces in Peters? That's a lot of parking spots that would need to be replaced for the other 360 days of the year.
You could look at what Savannah did to Ellis Square. They demolished an above ground parking garage, moved it underground and put a park at street level. Of coursr a few years and lots of money later.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
You could look at what Savannah did to Ellis Square. They demolished an above ground parking garage, moved it underground and put a park at street level. Of coursr a few years and lots of money later.
Sounds good, except that there is that creek that runs through Peters Park and under BDS. Obviously, it was run through a culvert for Grant Field, but IIRC caused flooding in the lower level of the Peters Deck at times. Not sure how far down one could dig.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Sounds good, except that there is that creek that runs through Peters Park and under BDS. Obviously, it was run through a culvert for Grant Field, but IIRC caused flooding in the lower level of the Peters Deck at times. Not sure how far down one could dig.

Just thinking that same thing. The lower deck always floods whenever it rains it seems.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Our dorms could use an update. A large mixed-use dorm with a parking deck on floors 1-5 might make sense.
That’s a really good idea honestly. There are all of the “new-ish” dorms that we took over from Georgia state that were the Olympic dorms. Why not take down the older ones. Brittain has got to be super dated by now as well. I do have a soft spot for Brown because that’s where I stayed but if they were to make Peters a park again I’d be all for tearing it down.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Peter’s Parking deck is on limited time. In case you have not noticed several areas of campus that use to be accessible by cars are no longer. They are currently adding bike lanes all over campus. Eventually Peters will be converted to either a building or buildings or a true park. Parking will be moved elsewhere. Heck, open the tunnel and build the deck on the other side.

buzzn3

Georgia Tech Fan
I'd recommend taking a look at the Comprehensive Campus Plan from 2023. Pretty impressive report and some pretty bold ideas, especially if the Midtown Cap over the connector happens, and Peters Park is mentioned quite a bit, including the water/run-off aspects.

COMPREHENSIVE CAMPUS PLAN

Full report is 130 pages (and too large of a file to attach) and there's also a video presentation.

1714430384772.png

1714430567792.png

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Is there any chance for this to happen?
When I first heard of this a few years ago, I thought it was just a pipe dream. But since the video was made, the project snagged federal funding in 2023 for planning and engineering. It's been scaled back to extend just to 5th Street instead of 10th, "to lower costs, get the park underway sooner, and pave the way for other highway-capping parks proposed in the city." So it's not just a pipe dream, but still a long way from construction. It has a lot of support from local and state leadership, so I'd say it has a fair chance of happening if adequate funding can be secured.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It would be an even better tailgating spot as an open grass field with plenty of trees and flowers of course. The big question is: would GTAA suck the life out of it by moving the corporate tailgates currently on Tech Lawn to the new Peters Park? It could easily become our version of The Grove at Ole Miss which was easily the coolest tailgating experience I've ever had.
It would just be a matter of time before a building was dropped in there. We are discussing the use of a facility 6 football Saturdays a year that was designated as a park. It will be interesting to see how it is ultimately utilized.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
It would just be a matter of time before a building was dropped in there. We are discussing the use of a facility 6 football Saturdays a year that was designated as a park. It will be interesting to see how it is ultimately utilized.
I mean could you make the same argument for Tech Lawn, couldn't you? This park is right adjacent to loads of East Campus housing. Students would be picnic'ing and studying out there in nice weather during the fall and spring. I see students on Tech Lawn playing games and hanging out (never happened when I was a student but they also had strict guidelines not to step on the grass then) every time I go back and it's a minimum 10 minute walk from the closest dorm.