Bobby Dodd Renovation in the NE Stands

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Looks nice, I prefer the brick, but I like the new rendering of the stadium side where they hid or eliminated the stairway access from view to the NE stands. The reduce in seating capacity doesn't bother me at all.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Capacity is officially decreasing to 51,913. 218, 219, and part of 217 will be removed

Visually, that’s a good bit of seats they are removing from the North. More than I expected. BDS is going to look pretty different.

Attachments

• 4612A0FC-7867-48FE-9823-DA1631A42563.jpeg
    4612A0FC-7867-48FE-9823-DA1631A42563.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 96

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Attached is some additional information concerning the new Fanning center. This is part of the grounding announcement from GT-AT Fund. The total file is too large to attach due to photos.

This article gives some more info concerning the Construction and Design companies. It is interesting to note that Brian Oliver is the DPR Construction Project Executive. Hopefully,
GT will receive a cost efficient and a quality job with a Tech Man leading the project. There is some more info on Thomas Fanning also.

Attachments

• Georgia Tech Breaks Ground on Fanning Center – Athletics — Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 92
Last edited:

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Nope. It’s supposedly coming next. Caught wind of it this week.
Something that big would have to be a redo of the Wardlaw Center. There's no way it would be an expansion, and seatbacks or a jumbotron don't cost that much. Perhaps like Vanderbilt's new endzone reno? But even then, Vandy United cost $300m for the stadium upgrades + new basketball facility + new football facility + new football indoor field + golf, tennis, and baseball renovations. I just can't imagine what $250m of upgrades to BDS could even be.

brian22

Jolly Good Fellow
Something that big would have to be a redo of the Wardlaw Center. There's no way it would be an expansion, and seatbacks or a jumbotron don't cost that much. Perhaps like Vanderbilt's new endzone reno? But even then, Vandy United cost $300m for the stadium upgrades + new basketball facility + new football facility + new football indoor field + golf, tennis, and baseball renovations. I just can't imagine what $250m of upgrades to BDS could even be.
I agree. I hate to be the “my source” guy on the internet, but I’m taking it seriously enough that I’m asking if someone knows anything. I took it as a redo of the west and east stands, but I could be completely wrong on that.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree. I hate to be the “my source” guy on the internet, but I’m taking it seriously enough that I’m asking if someone knows anything. I took it as a redo of the west and east stands, but I could be completely wrong on that.
Honestly, I'm sure what redoing the sideline stands would do to help revenues or recruiting. If anything we should be putting chairbacks in and an awning, though it would be nice to fix the concourse logjams. The Wardlaw Center is pushing 40, but I would think the bones are at least good and wouldn't require a full teardown/rebuild.

Maybe $250m is a "full athletics" thing? Noonan Golf Facility could use an actual clubhouse, they've certainly done well enough to earn it. Softball is "state of the art" according to our website and baseball just finished a renovation. McCamish is still nice... on watching videos, Zelnak is still nice... maybe an O'Keefe Gym replacement... uh... still having trouble reaching $250m lol

Last edited:

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
A giant awning, like Washington has, covering the upper East stands
Is always what I’ve thought BDS needs. A place for the masses to stand during the rain.

And if it is angled up far enough, can start blocking the blinding setting sun for the west stands an hour earlier.
Not to mention how much how generally cool these look and how much noise they trap.
It could be done in honeycomb or something GT

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Something is definitely planned. Another fund raiser building campaign? More boxes maybe?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Oops. West. I meant west. Hadn’t had my coffee yet. That’s precisely why west.

Sun sets in the west, finding the backside of the west awning, protecting the eyes in the East.
Pic for reference, over the WEST
Miami's stadium was 75% full and the loudest football stadium I've ever heard. Awning over the west stands would be a huge competitive advantage and put butts in the seats. Hesitate to put one over the east stands as others have mentioned re: skyline.