Bobby Dodd Renovation in the NE Stands

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
You could look at what Savannah did to Ellis Square. They demolished an above ground parking garage, moved it underground and put a park at street level. Of coursr a few years and lots of money later.
Significant storm drainage under BDS, Peters Park, etc, all the way through campus going to the north to Peachtree Creek.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Earlier in this thread, we mentioned a $250m number for investments to Bobby Dodd. Something I just noticed looking at the CCP, looks like it's confirmed GTAA has big plans for the Wardlaw Center:

1714484533309.png

1714484640717.png

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Hmm. How much more can we box in Bobby Dodd with buildings? My hope of one day having a symmetrical stadium is officially done. For a university with an elite design college, we sure do make some strange (to me) design decisions.
Sunk-cost. It would cost $100s of millions at this point to make BDS symmetrical with very marginal benefit. As always, the North Tower is the main culprit - the stadium is otherwise pretty symmetrical along the north-south axis.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
What are the advantages of a symmetrical stadium? Sight lines are pretty good from virtually everywhere (hate the south endzone though) and the Upper East might be some of the best seats in college football for purely watching the game.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Hmm. How much more can we box in Bobby Dodd with buildings? My hope of one day having a symmetrical stadium is officially done. For a university with an elite design college, we sure do make some strange (to me) design decisions.
your hope of having a symmetrical stadium ended when the Wardlaw was built in '88.

going back further it also ended when the east and west upper decks were built asymmetrically

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
What are the advantages of a symmetrical stadium? Sight lines are pretty good from virtually everywhere (hate the south endzone though) and the Upper East might be some of the best seats in college football for purely watching the game.
Upper east has to be replaced in the near future. Its concourse is woefully undersized for larger crowds. Barely functional, and almost dangerous, IMPO. Very claustrophobic. I was thinking that we may see Techwood closed at some point to accommodate an overhang large enough to match the UN and with an expanded concourse. Probably not now.

If we ever get that SECheat or B1G invite, we’ll need more space as we’ll draw more opposing fans and likely more sidewalk fans. I don’t want to see us boxed in.

Finally, that SW corner, with the oak trees is a nice green touch for an outdoor urban stadium.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Significant storm drainage under BDS, Peters Park, etc, all the way through campus going to the north to Peachtree Creek.
The topo map shows the blue-ish lowlands of Georgia Tech that had to be considered as Tech grew. The Atlanta news article below says that Peters Park was favored below Grant Park in southeast Atlanta for the site of the new technological school in 1887 because of the low land location in Peters Park. The gift and sale totaling 8 acres by Richard Peters in his Peters Park development area, plus a large monetary commitment from donors tot he state, landed Georgia Tech where it is today. It was later published in the Atlanta Journal in 1929 that Coach Alexander spent the money from the 1928 Rose Bowl win to build athletic grounds on Rose Bowl Field, which was a garbage dump for the residents of Peters Park at the time, meaning that it was on an uninhabited creek bed. Although we did not see a creek running through campus in 1968, we did have to walk up that big hill to classes 6 days a week..
1714488363288.png

1714486960222.png

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Curious- who else likes that BDS is asymmetrical and overall wonky?
I like :
-The upper north and upper west towering over the east stands in height. I think this is best for allowing the most eyes to see the skyline. And having less eyes in the East staring into the sun during day games.
-The old and incoming edge center, occupying a corner. It will be a Tech-looking building for more tech-branding inside. Big fan of unique aspects in football stadiums.
- The upper north oddly shaped, also best for putting the most eyes on Atlanta

There are some things I’d change, but for the most part it all seems pretty optimal for viewing experience. Always believed it was pretty well thought-out.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Curious- who else likes that BDS is asymmetrical and overall wonky?
I like :
-The upper north and upper west towering over the east stands in height. I think this is best for allowing the most eyes to see the skyline. And having less eyes in the East staring into the sun during day games.
-The old and incoming edge center, occupying a corner. It will be a Tech-looking building for more tech-branding inside. Big fan of unique aspects in football stadiums.
- The upper north oddly shaped, also best for putting the most eyes on Atlanta

There are some things I’d change, but for the most part it all seems pretty optimal for viewing experience. Always believed it was pretty well thought-out.
I think the weird setup makes it unique. And it shows its history.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Upper east has to be replaced in the near future. Its concourse is woefully undersized for larger crowds. Barely functional, and almost dangerous, IMPO. Very claustrophobic. I was thinking that we may see Techwood closed at some point to accommodate an overhang large enough to match the UN and with an expanded concourse. Probably not now.

If we ever get that SECheat or B1G invite, we’ll need more space as we’ll draw more opposing fans and likely more sidewalk fans. I don’t want to see us boxed in.

Finally, that SW corner, with the oak trees is a nice green touch for an outdoor urban stadium.
I agree with this. The entire East stands needs to be rebuilt in a modern way. West stands I'm sure need a facelift but they are the "Historic" part right? I think the the North and South stands are safe for the next few decades unless structural issues are uncovered or we win 3 natty in a row.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this. The entire East stands needs to be rebuilt in a modern way. West stands I'm sure need a facelift but they are the "Historic" part right? I think the the North and South stands are safe for the next few decades unless structural issues are uncovered or we win 3 natty in a row.
Upper East = best seats in college football (or pro, for that matter).

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
When I first heard of this a few years ago, I thought it was just a pipe dream. But since the video was made, the project snagged federal funding in 2023 for planning and engineering. It's been scaled back to extend just to 5th Street instead of 10th, "to lower costs, get the park underway sooner, and pave the way for other highway-capping parks proposed in the city." So it's not just a pipe dream, but still a long way from construction. It has a lot of support from local and state leadership, so I'd say it has a fair chance of happening if adequate funding can be secured.
I was amazed how how quickly the project in Boston went from concept to completion.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
That’s a really strange hope. How would you make the East symmetrical with the West when you have Techwood 15 feet from the stands? Tear down the west? Seems EXTREMELY wasteful for “design”.

Edit-guess you kinda explained your wishes but ….yeah….not happening.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I’d personally love to see the south endzone stands be converted to a Beer garden or something cool like that