Biggest ? Going into 2017

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
This will help the first month.
125962267_6d2e18e40c_o.jpg
I'll be watching Georgie Tech football games of the past on youtube.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I posted this in another thread, but it fits better in this one.

Jordan vs VT is what we will see over and over again next year. We will have a true inside/out attack. When you can successfully attack a defense inside and out with the run, then it's all about play calling and CPJ is a master at that.

Both MJ's and MM's big td runs were more due to poor discipline by the defense that anything else. (and that wasn't Mercer out there, it was a very well coached Bud Foster defense.) Prior to both plays, the D had multiple players in the middle of the field right where we eventually ran the ball. We didn't even block them, they ran themselves out of position chasing ghosts. Having a balanced running attack does that for you.

Another thing it does for you is it sets up play action beautifully. I can't wait for next year!

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
For those that have forgotten or never bothered to check out MJs HS information you might want to read the linked article. MJ can make the throws, we know he can run the midline and by the time the season rolls around he'll have the 3O timing down as well. He's been in the system 2 years and I think PJ has no qualms about turning over the Offense to him. If either of the RS Fr beat him out we will have one helluva of a QB under center. For now, I'm very comfortable with MJ going forward.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/06/jackson_qb_matthew_jordan_anno.html
On what basis is the conclusion drawn that MJ is not as good a passer as JT5? IMHO MJ is not as shifty an open field runner but I don't see a drop off in running the TO or passing. I see improved mid line, and being taller, improved ability to check down receivers and possible quick slants. Different skills but I see no reason MJ cannot be as successful as JT5 running this offense. With the depth being developed and improved D maybe better.

Deleted member 2897

Lucas Johnson looks good in his tape. I am anxious to see how he does this spring.

Lucas just posted he weighed in today at 211.
He is listed on the official team roster at 200. I assume that is from late in the pre-season.
When he committed about 1 year ago, he was 189.

+22 pounds. He's now 1 inch taller than MJ11 and about the same weight.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
MJ has shown some poise issues in his limited time (with he snaps, happy feet causing unnecessarily bad throws, missed reads especially on the pitch), but he has the tools, and if he is the guy I expect him clean it up rather quickly.

For QB I wouldn't sleep on Tobias Oliver fitting like a glove when he gets in, although I'm not sure if he'll have the size we want out of him without some S&C work so likely a RS candidate given the quality depth.

Personally, I think the biggest ? is leadership. We need some players to step up and set an identity and tone for our team and have the ability to galvanize the pieces into a cohesive whole.

Deleted member 2897

Also, an interesting side note. Matthew Jordan enrolled early in January 2014. This spring he will graduate from Georgia Tech. Next football season he will be only a Redshirt Junior.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Last semester as an undergrad!</p>&mdash; Matthew Jordan (@M_Jordan11) <a href="">January 9, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
Also, an interesting side note. Matthew Jordan enrolled early in January 2014. This spring he will graduate from Georgia Tech. Next football season he will be only a Redshirt Junior.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Last semester as an undergrad!</p>&mdash; Matthew Jordan (@M_Jordan11) <a href="">January 9, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If true, that's outstanding! Way to go MJ!

slugboy

Staff member
DT - including who rotates in. Who are the backups who get playing time?
LB
DE: Who fills Rook-Chungong's spot in the DE rotation?
Special teams--do the transfers and graduations thin our ranks on kickoffs and punts?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Biggest question l? Front 7, front 7, then front 7.

If you have watched MJ progress from being pressed into service at Miami the year before last, to the VT game this last year, I don't see why so many are concerned with or doubt his ability. I think we are gonna be fine with MJ under center. If anyone beats him out next year I will be surprised. And I'm
very pumped over the potential of the younger QBs....if they can beat out MJ they are hella good underclassmen.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
DT - including who rotates in. Who are the backups who get playing time?
LB
DE: Who fills Rook-Chungong's spot in the DE rotation?
Special teams--do the transfers and graduations thin our ranks on kickoffs and punts?

DT? Probably committee action. DE is deep with Freeman, Simmons (WDE), St Amour, Merriweather, and Woods (SDE), but two of them are seniors and two are juniors. LB is deep for a 4-2 but the pecking order not so clear: Mitchell, Alexander, Jackson, Lewis, Cooksey, Curry, and maybe a freshman. ST not a problem with the two Austins, Jackson, JJohnson, Dotson, Lewis, Benson, MLD, Cottrell, and all the talented underclassmen CBs and WRs.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It's true.
Masters next.

Excellent for him. You can earn a Masters in three semesters...he could have his Masters wrapped up going in to his Senior season.

Just curious, but what are the NCAA rules regarding graduate students and enrollment? Didn't Florida have a kid on their team (QB, I believe) that wasn't even taking classes in the Fall semester because he was in this situation?

I mean what happens if MJ has Ugrad and Grad completed before Fall 2018 with one year of elligibility remaining? Could he just play football without taking classes at that point?

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Excellent for him. You can earn a Masters in three semesters...he could have his Masters wrapped up going in to his Senior season.

Just curious, but what are the NCAA rules regarding graduate students and enrollment? Didn't Florida have a kid on their team (QB, I believe) that wasn't even taking classes in the Fall semester because he was in this situation?

I mean what happens if MJ has Ugrad and Grad completed before Fall 2018 with one year of elligibility remaining? Could he just play football without taking classes at that point?

No idea.
I remember Matt Lienhart (USC) taking ballroom dancing to be eligible.

slugboy

Staff member
DT? Probably committee action. DE is deep with Freeman, Simmons (WDE), St Amour, Merriweather, and Woods (SDE), but two of them are seniors and two are juniors. LB is deep for a 4-2 but the pecking order not so clear: Mitchell, Alexander, Jackson, Lewis, Cooksey, Curry, and maybe a freshman. ST not a problem with the two Austins, Jackson, JJohnson, Dotson, Lewis, Benson, MLD, Cottrell, and all the talented underclassmen CBs and WRs.
I'm not really wondering about the players that get named on the depth chart for special teams. I'm thinking about all the "invisible" guys who line up on special teams. When you don't have much depth, then you're either tiring out your starters there or you're outmanned there.