Auburn

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Not suggesting you were making a case for hall. Simply saying ripping off the hall bandaid will not be as bad as some brass may think it is. Hall replaced a legend it can be done.

I feel that Batt has made two quality hires in Key and Stoudamire.

Fsu and Clemson hired new coaches after legends in baseball that didn’t work out.

Fsu tried way too hard to duplicate success in hiring Mike Martin Sr’s son.

Ultimately both programs are in GREAT shape after hiring Bakich (Clemson) and Link Jarrett. Both will likely be national seeds.

I trust Batt to do what’s best for Tech.

Being afraid to act because of “what if” scenarios is no way to run a successful program and/or organization

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I feel that Batt has made two quality hires in Key and Stoudamire.

Fsu and Clemson hired new coaches after legends in baseball that didn’t work out.

Fsu tried way too hard to duplicate success in hiring Mike Martin Sr’s son.

Ultimately both programs are in GREAT shape after hiring Bakich (Clemson) and Link Jarrett. Both will likely be national seeds.

I trust Batt to do what’s best for Tech.

Being afraid to act because of “what if” scenarios is no way to run a successful program and/or organization
If JBatt doesn't replace Hall ... there are a bunch of other reasons he'd do it besides fear. There is zero evidence of any fear. What could he possibly be afraid of re the baseball program? Tex? That seems like a reach.

I am pretty sure JBatts view of the health of the baseball program (as a whole) is a lot higher than many who vent here.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
there are a bunch of other reasons he'd do it besides fear. There is zero evidence of any fear. What could he possibly be afraid of re the baseball program?
Some on this board have promoted a risk of doing worse multiple times. I assume that's the fear being referenced. The first hire after Hall might not be the right one. I have much more faith in Batt to pick than the last AD. To me, there is little risk and no fear, and I am ready for the new voice of the program.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Some on this board have promoted a risk of doing worse multiple times. I assume that's the fear being referenced. The first hire after Hall might not be the right one. I have much more faith in Batt to pick than the last AD. To me, there is little risk and no fear, and I am ready for the new voice of the program.
I am absolutely certain about 1 thing- when we replace Danny things will either get better, get worse or stay the same. I am absolutely positive about that. Bet the house on it.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
💯

The fear reference was geared towards the fan base not J Batt but I wasn’t clear so I understand

I feel very confident in this AD to do what’s best for Tech. He and the president seem to really care about tech athletics whereas in the past, athletics has had to fight “the hill” and administration tooth and nail

I’ve seen and spoken to him multiple times at the baseball games and he is very engaged in the program.

I would disagree with an earlier post that baseball is a total non revenue sport. It certainly isn’t football or basketball however acc and sec baseball have come a long way.

10-15 years ago you’d be lucky to get a top 20 matchup on ESPN. Now every game is on tv or the ESPN app.

College baseball has done a good job of tying Omaha and the mlb draft together to get more exposure.

I think it also helps when kids like Ford (uva) and drew Burress forego the draft and get on campus

Last edited:

Richland County

Georgia Tech Fan
Great post

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
The last extension (instead of nudged into retirement) was a slap in the face to the fanbase to me. I don't expect many to agree but to me is was pretty clear.
Can anyone remind me of the terms of CFDH's contract? When does it expire, what is his salary, etc.?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Well, I guess that answers that. We have 1 more year to go.
That may be DH's plan. Finish his contract and retire. Of course he might negotiate to retire after this year and take that last year as sort of severance (buyout). Most coaches want an extension prior to their current contract expiring. No extension would indicate retirement is planned. Batt might offer next year as a buyout.
I sure hope he has a plan for his replacement.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
That may be DH's plan. Finish his contract and retire. Of course he might negotiate to retire after this year and take that last year as sort of severance (buyout). Most coaches want an extension prior to their current contract expiring. No extension would indicate retirement is planned. Batt might offer next year as a buyout.
I sure hope he has a plan for his replacement.

That's what he said with his sons outgoing too and we see how that played out..... 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Is that actually true? I wonder if that's a story that just took flight because it seemed logical. I am not aware of him making any such statement. I'll admit I don't see or hear everything he says.

I thought on one of those Fox5 studio type segments he basically said something to that effect. I'll try to find it.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
There's always the possibility that Batt asked him to stay. We're all thinking Batt's looking to replace him but it's possible we're all wrong. Maybe GT didn't support Danny much like we didn't support Johnson? Batt asked him to not retire to fix it before he goes. It's not that unbelievable a scenario.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
There's always the possibility that Batt asked him to stay. We're all thinking Batt's looking to replace him but it's possible we're all wrong. Maybe GT didn't support Danny much like we didn't support Johnson? Batt asked him to not retire to fix it before he goes. It's not that unbelievable a scenario.
It wouldn't shock me if Batt decided to defer the baseball issue last year while he concentrated on (1) fund raising (2) football coaching decision and (3) basketball coaching decision.

Will be interesting to see if he is ready to take it on this year...or if he decides to let Hall go out under his own terms (my guess). He wants the big baseball donors, who all seem to LOVE Hall, to stick with GT and Batt. I especially think he will wait if Hall manages to make the NCAA's.....

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It wouldn't shock me if Batt decided to defer the baseball issue last year while he concentrated on (1) fund raising (2) football coaching decision and (3) basketball coaching decision.

Will be interesting to see if he is ready to take it on this year...or if he decides to let Hall go out under his own terms (my guess). He wants the big baseball donors, who all seem to LOVE Hall, to stick with GT and Batt. I especially think he will wait if Hall manages to make the NCAA's.....

Making or not making the NCAAT wouldn't affect my decision. We shouldn't be where we are at this point of the season IMHO and there is the body of work over the last decade plus. But sure, I'd wait till after the last game of the season (an hour or two) before letting him go.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
Is that actually true? I wonder if that's a story that just took flight because it seemed logical. I am not aware of him making any such statement. I'll admit I don't see or hear everything he says.
I will say this, players recruited by CJR were painted a visual without CDH before the extension. I know players in the past had great relationships with CDH, but willing to bet not many do since CJR arrival. Ask a parent or former player at the next game you attend. They will open up when poked.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I will say this, players recruited by CJR were painted a visual without CDH before the extension. I know players in the past had great relationships with CDH, but willing to bet not many do since CJR arrival. Ask a parent or former player at the next game you attend. They will open up when poked.
I'm (was) a parent of a college athletes. Not all "open up" to random fans. Talk to them? Yes. Like them? Yes. Share facts... maybe. Speak for entire roster... no chance. Info isn't objective... that's for sure.

The narrative you're postulating is certainly plausible.