Apples and Oranges

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ve seen a lot of complaining about CGC and staff from the same group of people. This group will not acknowledge the hurdles in this transition and seem to focus only on the negatives. This same group also loves to point to PJ’s transition and how well it went without acknowledging the goldmine he walked into.

The purpose of this post is to point out the significant difference in what each coach walked into.

I want to take offense completely out of the equation to start and focus on 4 players that allowed Paul to have the start he did.

1. Darryl Richard (SR)
2. Vance Walker (SR) - mutli year NFL career
3. Michael Johnson (SR) - mutli year NFL career. Best pure pass rusher in the last 15 years
4. Derrick Morgan (SO) - mutli year NFL career. GT HoFer and arguably the best DL in the last 15 years.

Serious question for those doubting CGC and staff’s coaching ability. Do you think this season would look the same with this group on our team now? Need I mention we had 3 guys on the backend of that D played in the league as well? One of which is still playing 10+ years later.

In the first 6 games (same point in the season) of 2008, our defense gave up 10.667 points per game. How would our team this year have faired with those results? Is it possible, things would be a little different?

If we can, let’s talk about the offense now.

1. Dwyer
2. Thomas
3. Nesbitt
4. Howard
5. Gardner

Elite NFL WR, elite college RB, warrior qb, and two NFL olineman.

This post isn’t to take away from Paul being a good/great coach. This is to (hopefully) quell some of the ridiculous comparisons and (hopefully) open some eyes to the fact that there is a talent discrepancy whether you want to admit it or not. I’m not bashing any player either. Stating that we don’t have a D Morgan or M Johnson is just a fact. I won’t go much further on what CGC walked into other than to say we have some talent at the skill positions and on the backend. We lack the same size/ability that the 2008 team had along with the experience which is often overlooked. A lot of experience along both lines in 2008.

And please, don’t bring up Citadel. We all agree, that loss is inexcusable. Just like losing to Gardner Webb would’ve been in 2008 (which would happened with the 2019 defense IMO). Continuing to bring it up does nobody any good. It happened. It sucked. It’s over. This post is about the other 5 games we’ve played.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I’ve seen a lot of complaining about CGC and staff from the same group of people. This group will not acknowledge the hurdles in this transition and seem to focus only on the negatives. This same group also loves to point to PJ’s transition and how well it went without acknowledging the goldmine he walked into.

The purpose of this post is to point out the significant difference in what each coach walked into.

I want to take offense completely out of the equation to start and focus on 4 players that allowed Paul to have the start he did.

1. Darryl Richard (SR)
3. Michael Johnson (SR) - mutli year NFL career. Best pure pass rusher in the last 15 years
4. Derrick Morgan (SO) - mutli year NFL career. GT HoFer and arguably the best DL in the last 15 years.

Serious question for those doubting CGC and staff’s coaching ability. Do you think this season would look the same with this group on our team now? Need I mention we had 3 guys on the backend of that D played in the league as well? One of which is still playing 10+ years later.

In the first 6 games (same point in the season) of 2008, our defense gave up 10.667 points per game. How would our team this year have faired with those results? Is it possible, things would be a little different?

1. Dwyer
2. Thomas
3. Nesbitt
4. Howard
5. Gardner

This post isn’t to take away from Paul being a good/great coach. This is to (hopefully) quell some of the ridiculous comparisons and (hopefully) open some eyes to the fact that there is a talent discrepancy whether you want to admit it or not. I’m not bashing any player either. Stating that we don’t have a D Morgan or M Johnson is just a fact. I won’t go much further on what CGC walked into other than to say we have some talent at the skill positions and on the backend. We lack the same size/ability that the 2008 team had along with the experience which is often overlooked. A lot of experience along both lines in 2008.

And please, don’t bring up Citadel. We all agree, that loss is inexcusable. Just like losing to Gardner Webb would’ve been in 2008 (which would happened with the 2019 defense IMO). Continuing to bring it up does nobody any good. It happened. It sucked. It’s over. This post is about the other 5 games we’ve played.

Great post. Reasoned and respectful.

Animal02

Banned

1. Darryl Richard (SR)

1. Dwyer
2. Thomas
3. Nesbitt
4. Howard
5. Gardner

LMAO at all the straw man's propped up to create your narrative.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Complete write off year. I don't care for Collins personally and I don't think he's doing a good job this year. I get sick of his nonsense - ATL, we don't say starters around here (until this week in press conferences), we practice everyone around here. Just rubs me completely the wrong way.

Having said that, just because he has fielded a bad team this year doesn't mean that he will not eventually be able to make a solid team. I firmly believe that he won't maximize his talent, but he may be good enough to get us back to the ACC championship. Don't see anything more than that because Clemson is in the way and we would most likely have to beat them twice - don't see that happening unless dabo or Venables leaves. Also don't see him beating UGA either - mostly because those bastards seem to play GT well and they are really good.

One last thing - he better start making a dent in recruiting DT or his defense won't work.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
You don’t want to anyone to bring up the game which puts a massive spotlight on Tech fans’ worst fears about CGC.

That’s your rule!?

OK, then.

You can bring it up. But please acknowledge our last coach had a very similar game in his first year against Gardner Webb and he went on to have some success here.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
You don’t want to anyone to bring up the game which puts a massive spotlight on Tech fans’ worst fears about CGC.

That’s your rule!?

OK, then.

Can you please read back to me what I wrote directly after that comment? Once you’ve done that, feel free to add something to the conversation. Or don’t and keep complaining about the same thing for the next 12 months or so. That sounds like a lot of fun.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow

1. Darryl Richard (SR)

1. Dwyer
2. Thomas
3. Nesbitt
4. Howard
5. Gardner

Great post. I was at the Gardner Webb game. Dwyer bailed us out with an 80-yard catch and run! Game was indicative of how hard it is to be good without a QB that fits a system... we were so fortunate that JfN was on our roster.

1.7 yards per rush in that game. Imagine our W/L column in 2008 without JfN and a NFL talent laden defense. Jaybo was on the team, but battled injuries off and on.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
The moment you say don't consider the Citadel, you are creating a straw man....try agsin

for the record.... your constant complaining is helping us how? how do you think it effects our players who read this page? more importantly.... how do you think it effects recruiting?

does it help the coaches. have you contacted the staff to tell them where they are going wrong? id start off with the 3 coaches/staff that worked for alabama. i think you should arrange a sit down talk with tstan and demand changes to your liking.

no excuses. no buts.... for once give us a straight answer.