An insult to JT and GT

DaddyBill

Jolly Good Fellow
Sorry if I missed a thread on this, but just saw on ESPN insider a story on the Bovada's Heisman Trophy odds of winning. And it has this comment:

Justin Thomas, Georgia Tech QB (33-1): Thomas is good. So is his team. But let’s not get carried away. He is still a Georgia Tech quarterback. He will not throw enough to merit serious consideration.

True he may not throw enough, but when he does he does it well. This is a complete insult of both the Tech QB and the Georgia Tech football program as a whole, in my opinion. I may not renew my insider when it expires now.

It may be an insult depending on how you take it. Let's keep in mind that this offense isn't built for one person to get those mind boggling numbers. He would have to throw for more 2,000 yards, Run more than 1,500, and GT be in the hunt for a NC for JT to be in the Heisman talk. That's just my take on it.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I guess only QBs are now allowed to win the Heisman. The past RB and other non-QB Heisman winners didn't have good passing stats, but I didn't check.

Point is that it is the total body of work. For JT it will be passing, rushing and total team performance. Who cares what this yahoo says? ESPN is ...... oh well I'm not going to waste my time.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I don't think it is really an insult. The Heisman trophy is going to be biased towards passing QBs. We finished 123rd in the country in passing last year. JT would have to do something really special to overcome that.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't have much of a problem if JT isn't ranked as a top QB. Those rankings may be thinking in terms of likely NFL qbs, and he hasn't shown that yet.

But Heisman is about best player and is typically mvp of very good team. I think it's stupid to suggest that JT is a longshot because he's our qb .

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Winning will certainly put him in contention regardless of stats. I don't know if he can win it without huge numbers, but he can certainly be on the short list.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Eric Crouch says hello

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 124

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Winning is what I care about anyway. Individual awards mean very little in the context of a team sport. The world has become all about the trophy, and I get that, but truthfully, the only thing I care about is that OUR fan base appreciates JT and he helps us win. If we have the kind of year we are all hoping for, JT will be a part of the discussion regardless.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
#2 in TDs/pass, #3 in yds/att.
I just don't think voters will dice it down to stats like that. Big numbers will win out. Just look at JT Barrett last year. 2800 yds, 34 TDs and nearly 1000 yards rushing with 11 more TDs. Its safe to say that this years Ohio St QB, whoever it is is going to put up something similar. One thing that hurts Justin also is that he can play a nearly perfect game without having big numbers. Just look at the Miami game last year. 53 yards passing and 27 yards rushing. It looks awful on paper but he played great that game. Sometimes its hard to put up big numbers. It depends on what the other team is giving you. If he makes a correct read and pitches it to an A-Back for a 50 yard gain he wont get nearly the same credit a passing QB gets for hitting a short crossing route that goes for a 50 yard gain.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
The only reason the award means anything (to me) is recruiting, particularly at our fine school. I think the impact Robert Griffin has had at Baylor is huge, and it could happen here, too.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I just don't think voters will dice it down to stats like that. Big numbers will win out. Just look at JT Barrett last year. 2800 yds, 34 TDs and nearly 1000 yards rushing with 11 more TDs. Its safe to say that this years Ohio St QB, whoever it is is going to put up something similar. One thing that hurts Justin also is that he can play a nearly perfect game without having big numbers. Just look at the Miami game last year. 53 yards passing and 27 yards rushing. It looks awful on paper but he played great that game. Sometimes its hard to put up big numbers. It depends on what the other team is giving you. If he makes a correct read and pitches it to an A-Back for a 50 yard gain he wont get nearly the same credit a passing QB gets for hitting a short crossing route that goes for a 50 yard gain.

I disagree that it's just about passing. If we enter the last few weeks undefeated with JT playing like he did at the end of this past year, then others will get those stats out there for the voters.

I agree that if we're not seen as a top 5, top 3 team, he won't be looked at, but I think that would be true regardless.

If we're 10-0 after beating vpi on Nov 12, we'll have beat FSU, CU, and ND as well as UVA whose had a good D. We'll be in the national conversation and that will put JT in the Heisman talk, imo.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
It may be an insult depending on how you take it. Let's keep in mind that this offense isn't built for one person to get those mind boggling numbers. He would have to throw for more 2,000 yards, Run more than 1,500, and GT be in the hunt for a NC for JT to be in the Heisman talk. That's just my take on it.
3 things would need to happen:
1-we go undefeated or make playoffs
2-JT hits 2000/1000 in yardage. Those nice round numbers are important. Even last year he ended up with 1700ish yards, so we are not far off.
3-JTs TD numbers need to look closer to Nesbitt's. He needs a few long highlight-reel type TD runs, but needs to punch in a few down on the goal line to keep his total TDs up where they need to be.
One extra thing that could help him out would be for our SID to track yards/TDs off option pitches and really hammer the point home to announcers assigned to our games that these plays are basically our "short range passing game". This stat really does need to be tracked if you are trying to accurately gauge JTs total impact on the game.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck

And if JT did put up huge numbers, we would hear about the system doing the work, not him.