Absurdly Early 2024 Predictions

How many regular season games does Tech win in 2024?

• 4 or less

• 9 or more

Results are only viewable after voting.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
This post actually started out on a good theme with a focus on what is needed to improve, rather than beating the same drum about how bad our D is. Thanks for that.

I suspect those posters thinking 8 or 9 wins simply have higher confidence in our ability to address player shortcomings at key positions and the likelihood of additional upgrades on our coaching staff – both of which are needed as you indicated. I’m not as confident as some so I picked 7.

Disagree here in that it does matter in terms of where Key should prioritize corrective actions.
I totally agree on the priority for getting better players / coaching. LB, DT and DE are all about the same for me but they are the major areas of need. The rest of the team is pretty solid.

Special teams improved this year and there is still room for improvement less FG kicking, That was as good as an be expected from a college kicker. Blaylock was solid on Punt Returner as well. I never felt any concern about bad decisions or fumbles with him as the return man.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
At the least, we know that Sylvain can play and he adds depth. May not be a difference maker, but he’s another experienced body at DL. Same with Kennard. Not sure if it’s a motor issue or he truly gets washed out. But he can play and he’s a body. Depth.
Biggers now demands a double and that’s huge. UGA doubled him often. I didn’t see that earlier in the year. That’s what you want in a 0-tech… either cover two gaps or take two OL.
Scheme is just my preference. It is a fairly rare DL in P5 ball that makes consistent stops at the LOS. The best D’s, in my observation, tend to have DL that can occupy OL and free LB’s up to make plays, thus, I want 3 LB’s. Going to 3 DL also demands 25% fewer of them, which is our typical weakness, but they have to be good. We are far more successful at recruiting LB than DL. This should not be difficult.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
At the least, we know that Sylvain can play and he adds depth. May not be a difference maker, but he’s another experienced body at DL. Same with Kennard. Not sure if it’s a motor issue or he truly gets washed out. But he can play and he’s a body. Depth.
Biggers now demands a double and that’s huge. UGA doubled him often. I didn’t see that earlier in the year. That’s what you want in a 0-tech… either cover two gaps or take two OL.
Scheme is just my preference. It is a fairly rare DL in P5 ball that makes consistent stops at the LOS. The best D’s, in my observation, tend to have DL that can occupy OL and free LB’s up to make plays, thus, I want 3 LB’s. Going to 3 DL also demands 25% fewer of them, which is our typical weakness, but they have to be good. We are far more successful at recruiting LB than DL.
Hard to disagree with your thoughts,

If Biggers can go full throttle 25% more of the time he could be a difference maker. his should not be difficult.

The challenge of the 3-3-5 is the composition of the front 3. One is clearly a Nose Tackle which Biggers and Locket could play. The DEs then to be bigger bodies than our current DEs but that can vary. You need 3 really good LBs who can tackle, attack gaps and flow sideline to sideline. Couldn't be worse than our current scheme (that was just for your reading pleasure :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: )

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
This board needs a reality check, not all posters but the large number who fail to recognize how limited our potential is unless we significantly upgrade the defense. I sure hope CBK has a plan to fix the defense. He fixed the offense last offseason. Fixing the defense is harder though.

What do you disagree with?
What if I disagree with the notion that this board needs a reality check? ;)

Our D sucks. We need more better everything on that side of the ball and on the sideline.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

Our D sucks. We need more better everything on that side of the ball and on the sideline.
Glad your on board. The followers will come when they realize what it will take to get to 8+ wins going forward. We need more than half a team.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
D has got to get better to get to 8-9 wins next year, no doubt. I think we all agree on that. The more optimistic of us see some bright spots: Kennard’s play, Sylvain’s return, Efford’s emergence, Tatum’s improvement, and Biggers’ growth over the season. The DB should be OK. We need depth at DL/LB, with about 2-3 difference makers there.

I also think a 3-LB set would help tremendously. Our DL do not move real well and we need LB to cover the holes. I like the idea of hiring the guy at Cuse as a defensive analyst who knows the 3-3-5 D. I generally dislike that formation but it may be the best option we have at this point.
I would love to see us go to that scheme as a base and bring in a guru DC (and his whole staff). Biggers and Lockett are both big hoss’s who could rotate at nose tackle.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Hard to disagree with your thoughts,

If Biggers can go full throttle 25% more of the time he could be a difference maker. his should not be difficult.

The challenge of the 3-3-5 is the composition of the front 3. One is clearly a Nose Tackle which Biggers and Locket could play. The DEs then to be bigger bodies than our current DEs but that can vary. You need 3 really good LBs who can tackle, attack gaps and flow sideline to sideline. Couldn't be worse than our current scheme (that was just for your reading pleasure :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: )
Surely the other DT’s (Douse, Scott etc) could transition to DE and I am sure we would flex to 4-3 or 4-2 at times. Are the LB’s in 3-3-5 typically all normal lb types or is one of them more of a DB/rover? Efford would be perfect for MLB, the dude would eat in that scheme

slugboy

Staff member
Surely the other DT’s (Douse, Scott etc) could transition to DE and I am sure we would flex to 4-3 or 4-2 at times. Are the LB’s in 3-3-5 typically all normal lb types or is one of them more of a DB/rover? Efford would be perfect for MLB, the dude would eat in that scheme
A 3-3-5 is like a 3-4, but you take away one LB to play nickel.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I would love to see us go to that scheme as a base and bring in a guru DC (and his whole staff). Biggers and Lockett are both big hoss’s who could rotate at nose tackle.
The thing about a 3-man front is 1-2 of those guys have to be stout 2-gappers that will demand a double or you get OL running downhill your LB. 3 DL on 5 OL, if two of them don’t take doubles leaves 2 free OL. In a 3-4 you still have 2 LB, but in a 3-3, the OL can seal off and run away from the 3rd LB. It takes certain personnel to run a 3-3 effectively and I’m not sure we have it.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The thing about a 3-man front is 1-2 of those guys have to be stout 2-gappers that will demand a double or you get OL running downhill your LB. 3 DL on 5 OL, if two of them don’t take doubles leaves 2 free OL. In a 3-4 you still have 2 LB, but in a 3-3, the OL can seal off and run away from the 3rd LB. It takes certain personnel to run a 3-3 effectively and I’m not sure we have it.
Can we recruit better than ‘Cuse? I say yes. They have been very respectable on Def (especially against the run) running the 3 man front the past few years

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Well said. Having OL run free to our LBs was an issue this year. Not sure how having 3 DL helps that issue.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
@stinger78 @Augusta_Jacket @Root4GT

This.

(My work here is done.) (y)

eddie

Georgia Tech Fan

Well we will improve at D. Great recruiting bowl game again but larger one

eddie

Georgia Tech Fan
We have the sixth toughest schedule in the nation this year but early predictions say 8-4 and another bowl game Tech had a great 2024 recruiting year this time

slugboy

Staff member
Looking back, the big worry in this thread was the defense. Since then, every defensive coach has been replaced

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Ah, but what has happened with the old coaches? They have all been somehow retained somewhere for some reason….

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Looking back, the big worry in this thread was the defense. Since then, every defensive coach has been replaced
With good reason obviously. Now change coachings should help. Still the players are basically the same guys. Going from one of the worst FBS defensed to being near average is a big jump. I sure hope we make that jump.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
I went with 7-5, but hope for 8-4 with an improved D. I believe I read in the AJC that our new Defensive Coordinator will have a base D of 4-2-5. We need the 4 down lineman. We don't usually get the really big athletic down linemen needed in the 3 down.