2024 Season

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I’d also point out that John Giesler didn’t play in the unc series and came back against BC after missing 35 days.

He was very rusty in the BC series and it took John about a week to really catch back up to live game action.

I truly believe that Unc does have a very good pitching staff and if we played that series, I’m not certain the results would change; however, I think if the Bc series was played now with our starters of Aeden, Cam Jones, and Tate in place along with Giesler’s return from injury….I definitely think we take that series now.

That’s one thing rpi cannot measure and that is a key player getting or returning from injury.

That injury allowed us to build quality depth that could only help in a regional
Giesler being rusty was not the reason we were swept. We were run ruled on Saturday.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
When you have Zach M with the reds listed as the 12th best overall prospect and he is listed as a bullpen flame thrower…how does he not have extraordinary success at tech
No question about his stuff, 96+ mph, he was just wild as hell, lots of BB, which held him back his first 2 years. His control improved a lot in his 3rd and last season at Tech.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Giesler being rusty was not the reason we were swept. We were run ruled on Saturday.
Actually we lost Saturday in extra innings.

Ben King and Tate MaKee pitched in relief and both got out of bases loaded jams.

We left many risp as our clutch hitting was non existent in that game.

I think you are referring to game 3 loss to bc which was 16-7. Not quite a run rule but it was close. Logan MaGuire started and gave up 4 earned runs in 0.2 innings.

Pitching wasn’t where it is now.
We blew game 2 and plug Tate into game 3 with a vastly improved offense as to why I think we’d take that series now but it’s a moot point anyway…

Go beat the bears and noles and secure that bid.

Last edited:

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
No question about his stuff, 96+ mph, he was just wild as hell, lots of BB, which held him back his first 2 years. His control improved a lot in his 3rd and last season at Tech.
Agreed in his wild nature both in attitude and on the mound.

Kid was like Mitch williams …Wild thing

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Actually we lost Saturday in extra innings.

Ben King and Tate MaKee pitched in relief and both got out of bases loaded jams.

We left many risp as our clutch hitting was non existent in that game.

I think you are referring to game 3 loss to bc which was 16-7. Not quite a run rule but it was close. Logan MaGuire started and gave up 4 earned runs in 0.2 innings.

Pitching wasn’t where it is now.
We blew game 2 and plug Tate into game 3 with a vastly improved offense as to why I think we’d take that series now but it’s a moot point anyway…

Go beat the bears and noles and secure that bid.
Actually, we lost 16-7 on Saturday. It was a Thursday thru Saturday series. No, not run ruled, but never in the game

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Agreed in his wild nature both in attitude and on the mound.

Kid was like Mitch williams …Wild thing
My grand niece was on the Tech dive team and was around many of our athletes. I asked her who were the most fun athletes to be around? Her answer: football players.
I also asked her who her favorite baseball players were. Her answer was Parada and Compton were both very nice but Zach was the most fun to be around.
His glove also had the letters BAMF on it. :)

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
My grand niece was on the Tech dive team and was around many of our athletes. I asked her who were the most fun athletes to be around? Her answer: football players.
I also asked her who her favorite baseball players were. Her answer was Parada and Compton were both very nice but Zach was the most fun to be around.
His glove also had the letters BAMF on it. :)
Kid gets that after his pops

Absolutely great guy. Zach gets his mound presence from him too

I remember a big game against the Noles at home.

Tech led whole game. Fsu rallied in the 9th threatening to take the lead and loaded the bases with no outs.

Zach is brought in to close and he mows down three straight nole hitters. His dad goes wild and yells that bamf from rail. Last pitch that struck out the last batter hit triple digits 100mph

Great family

Saw his dad at a game this year.

Yes he was wild but so much fun to watch

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Looking at Warren Nolan's "Impact Games" list for today ( www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2024/team-impact?team=Georgia-Tech ), there are a few interesting mid-week games. I hope rain doesn't play too much havoc with these:

James Madison (RPI 47) @ Virginia Tech
Charleston (RPI 50) @ Duke
Clemson @ Coastal Carolina (RPI 37)
North Carolina @ UNC Wilmington (RPI 43)

Surprisingly to me, our game today against Mercer has more upside than I would have expected. A win is +9 points, which is probably worth 1 RPI position, maybe 2. A loss would cost us 48 points, which is 5 or 6 RPI positions. IOW, a loss tonight leaves us with clearly some work to do, a win results in a marginal improvement.

In other news regarding our tournament dreams, we need to really root for UGa this weekend against Florida. I'm not sure I'm capable, we'll see. The Gators sit at +1 on the season (26-25) and the requirement is that you must be at least +1 to be eligible for the NCAAs. If UGa takes the series this weekend Florida will be required to have a winning record in the SEC tourney, which means they must win 3 games in the double elimination tourney to be eligible for the NCAAs. Without this their highish RPI (29 right now) will be irrelevant.

Last edited:

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Looking at Warren Nolan's "Impact Games" list for today ( www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2024/team-impact?team=Georgia-Tech ), there are a few interesting mid-week games. I hope rain doesn't play too much havoc with these:

James Madison (RPI 47) @ Virginia Tech
Charleston (RPI 50) @ Duke
Clemson @ Coastal Carolina (RPI 37)
North Carolina @ UNC Wilmington (RPI 43)

Surprisingly to me, our game today against Mercer has more upside than I would have expected. A win is +9 points, which is probably worth 1 RPI position, maybe 2. A loss would cost us 48 points, which is 5 or 6 RPI positions. IOW, a loss tonight leaves us with clearly some work to do, a win results in a marginal improvement.

In other news regarding our tournament dreams, we need to really root for UGa this weekend against Florida. I'm not sure I'm capable, we'll see. The Gators sit at +1 on the season (26-25) and the requirement is that you must be at least +1 to be eligible for the NCAAs. If UGa takes the series this weekend Florida will be required to have a winning record in the SEC tourney, which means they must win 3 games in the double elimination tourney to be eligible for the NCAAs. Without this their highish RPI (29 right now) will be irrelevant.
How does a team at +1 get an RPI of 29? This is a rhetorical question.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
RPI still lags for Ga Tech when compared to other rankings/ratings. Gonna have to win our way in... which to me still means winning at least one at FSU. If unable to do that, need to win 2 at the ACCT. If unable to do that, probably one of last teams out; and finishing 0-5 or 1-4 would not be much of a late push... resume-wise.

Good thing UGAs having such a good year... imagine where our RPI would be without their help? [smirk]

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ga Tech has 19 loses.

Here is the list of teams that beat Tech that are not making the post-season. I am not counting teams that Tech beat in a series (weekend or season):
Auburn (0-2)
BC (0-3)

Three teams that beat Tech are not only a LOCK to make it; but in the national seed discussion:
UGA (0-2)
UNC (0-3)
Clemson (1-2)

Northeastern (0-1) isn't in the national seed discussion; but certainly could be in the field.

The way I see this (through gold tinted glasses)... if only 5 of your 19 losses are "bad" and it covers a single weekend and 2 mid-week games, the 'body of work' is good enough to get in the tournament.

Or... is 5 bad losses 1-5 too many?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Ga Tech has 19 loses.

Here is the list of teams that beat Tech that are not making the post-season. I am not counting teams that Tech beat in a series (weekend or season):
Auburn (0-2)
BC (0-3)

Three teams that beat Tech are not only a LOCK to make it; but in the national seed discussion:
UGA (0-2)
UNC (0-3)
Clemson (1-2)

Northeastern (0-1) isn't in the national seed discussion; but certainly could be in the field.

The way I see this (through gold tinted glasses)... if only 5 of your 19 losses are "bad" and it covers a single weekend and 2 mid-week games, the 'body of work' is good enough to get in the tournament.

Or... is 5 bad losses 1-5 too many?
Those five losses are really bad and could cost us a postseason appearance. At best, it cost a chance at a decent seed and potentially hosting a regional. This has been a common problem under CDH. Underperform in the regular season, get a bad seed and tough regional, get eliminated early, repeat again and again.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Guys & Gals, if you want to complain about our RPI of 48, then ***** about the coaches poll which goes to 45 and apparently doesn't include us either. My point is we have had downs and ups and overall are very very much a bubble team.
1715719354891.png

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Guys & Gals, if you want to complain about our RPI of 48, then ***** about the coaches poll which goes to 45 and apparently doesn't include us either. My point is we have had downs and ups and overall are very very much a bubble team.
View attachment 16161
Only thing worse than flawed RPI is a empty/bias coaches poll. I feel like you're actually trolling me personally now, Nuke. :p
I'll remind you... Coach Hall is a coach. I'd like to see his ballot.

So.... yes. Count me in as out on both RPI & ANY Coaches poll.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Only thing worse than flawed RPI is a empty/bias coaches poll. I feel like you're actually trolling me personally now, Nuke. :p
I'll remind you... Coach Hall is a coach. I'd like to see his ballot.

So.... yes. Count me in as out on both RPI & ANY Coaches poll.

Not targeting you for the trolling. Just pointing out there are lots of opinions. Some of which matter. Mine doesn't but I can guess how the selection committee is going to think. You pointed out (I think it was you) that D1 thinks we need to win 2 @FSU (up 2 going into ACCT) or 1@FSU and 1 in the NCAAT (end up 1 under and praying to get in with killer bracket).

Let me point out the obvious; being 3 seed means that there are two teams which the (disparaged and apparently endemically incompetent) selection committee thinks are better than us. People have done the numbers for 3 seed advancing and it was low - I don't remember.

Note the coaches poll gave us love earlier but not lately.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
If the committee considers the ACC the second best baseball conference in the country you would think that since only one team in the conference (Clemson) has won more series than us it would carry a certain amount of weight. You would think it would....but it probably won't. Also winning weekend series against three teams ranked in the top 16 in the country should carry some weight. The fact that most of this damage has occurred in the last half of the season should also bear some consideration as we are always told how a team finishes the season is important.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Our RPI teams sheet breaks down our record.

Q1: 8-10
Q2: 5-3
Q3: 7-5
Q4: 10-1

If you look at D1 baseball's 'last 4 in' it's head and shoulders above the other bubble teams. They have Q1 records like 3-8, or 2-2. I think this will be the kind of thing that's noticed by the committee.