2024 Season

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
When you have Zach M with the reds listed as the 12th best overall prospect and he is listed as a bullpen flame thrower…how does he not have extraordinary success at tech

X Curry and C Thomas are both near mlb rosters

Marquis Jr is in the minors
I am with you on this one. The past results speak for themselves on our recruits. They are good. My personal belief is we do very little development (no INF coach for example) and wait and see who naturally rises up. I heard through a pretty reliable source that CJR only works with the starters on hitting. I see pitching as the toughest to develop because as a coach you need to adapt to the players style, slot, etc. to get the best out of them.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
I am with you on this one. The past results speak for themselves on our recruits. They are good. My personal belief is we do very little development (no INF coach for example) and wait and see who naturally rises up. I heard through a pretty reliable source that CJR only works with the starters on hitting. I see pitching as the toughest to develop because as a coach you need to adapt to the players style, slot, etc. to get the best out of them.
Exactly.

I'll give you two pitchers that were highly regarded recruits that had solid to very good freshmen years at Tech. They got worse after their freshman year success.

Luke Bartniki
Cort Roedig

Cort pitched most midweek games in 2019. Because of injuries , he pitched in game 2 vs Auburn in the Atlanta regional in 2019 and actually fared well. That was the game where our all world offense just didn't get it done.

After that, Cort never was the same and hardly saw the mound in 21 and 22

Luke was VERY good his freshman year. He was also the # 1 lefty pitcher in the state of Ga. He was devastating against lefty bats his freshman year. Same as Cort above, he was never the same and even regressed over his time at tech.

It isn't because a lack of talent......

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
FIVE Coastal series wins. That's good.
Here's the series record vs overall record. We certainly stand out as an outlier.

FSU and NCSU might both sneak in as top-4 seeds because of a cancelled game.

Clemson - 7-2 (17-10)
FSU - 5-3-1 (15-11)
NCSU - 6-2-1 (15-11)
Wake - 5-4 (15-12)
Lville - 3-6 (13-14)
ND - 4-5 (9-18)
BC - 2-7 (8-19)

UNC - 6-3 (20-7)
UVA - 5-4 (15-12)
Duke - 5-4 (15-12)
VT - 4-5 (14-13)
GT - 6-3 (14-13)
Miami - 3-6 (10-17)
Pitt - 1-8 (8-19)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's the series record vs overall record. We certainly stand out as an outlier.

FSU and NCSU might both sneak in as top-4 seeds because of a cancelled game.

Clemson - 7-2 (17-10)
FSU - 5-3-1 (15-11)
NCSU - 6-2-1 (15-11)
Wake - 5-4 (15-12)
Lville - 3-6 (13-14)
ND - 4-5 (9-18)
BC - 2-7 (8-19)

UNC - 6-3 (20-7)
UVA - 5-4 (15-12)
Duke - 5-4 (15-12)
VT - 4-5 (14-13)
GT - 6-3 (14-13)
Miami - 3-6 (10-17)
Pitt - 1-8 (8-19)

Here's the ACC tonight. Sure are a lot in the middle:
1715559258562.png

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
The three game sweep we lost to BC probably cost up a decent seed in the ACCT and in the CWS regional.

Yeah man I keep looking back to that series. Flip that to a 2-1 series win and we’re 32-17 (16-11) sitting at 3rd in the ACC and probably hosting a regional (as of today). Obviously you can play that same game the opposite direction too, but that’s the one that still doesn’t make any sense given the resumes of the two teams.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it was before the Clemson series, someone mentioned that we were still in the running for a top seed (#3/#4) in the ACC tournament. With the results from this past weekend and only 1 more weekend of ACC regular season baseball, I decided to check to see if that was still a possibility.

If we lose even one game against FSU, then no. We would be behind FSU and the winner of the NSCU/WF series (and of course, UNC and Clemson)

On the other hand, IF we were to sweep FSU (I know, fat chance of that happening in Tallahassee), AND no sweep in the VT/UVA series, AND Duke doesn't sweep UNC, AND NCSU doesn't win more than 1 vs WF, then we would finish in the top 4 of the ACC. For example, UVA, Duke & WF all going 2-1 this weekend while we go 3-0 would put us in a 4-way tie for 3rd place with Duke, UVA, and WF all at 17-13. I don't know the exact tiebreakers that the ACC uses, but we should get the #3 seed in that case (Head to head: GT 4-2, Duke 5-4, UVA 4-5, WF 2-4).

So bottom line, no it is not going to happen. There is probably a greater probability that we finish with a sub-.500 ACC record than to get a top seed in the ACC tournament. Just when Tech baseball gets your hopes up, Lucy snatches ball away leaving us flat on our back.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah man I keep looking back to that series. Flip that to a 2-1 series win and we’re 32-17 (16-11) sitting at 3rd in the ACC and probably hosting a regional (as of today). Obviously you can play that same game the opposite direction too, but that’s the one that still doesn’t make any sense given the resumes of the two teams.

And that series is what makes RPI and predicting college baseball next to impossible. This is NOT major league baseball where players talents are more fully developed / steady and you aren't making a largely new team for each 60 game year.

Anyway, it's all good. We control our destiny to make the NCAAT. It's pitching that will tell how far we go. And that seems to be a random number generator too; McKee trending up, Finateri down and Cam pretty steady. We HAVE to score 6 or more to have a >50% shot of winning; 15 or more to make it a lock. We gave up 28 runs to Duke and still won two. Without our improved D, these numbers would be worse. We can beat anyone; we can lose to anyone when the bats go cold. IIWII.

1715598526512.png

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think it was before the Clemson series, someone mentioned that we were still in the running for a top seed (#3/#4) in the ACC tournament. With the results from this past weekend and only 1 more weekend of ACC regular season baseball, I decided to check to see if that was still a possibility.

If we lose even one game against FSU, then no. We would be behind FSU and the winner of the NSCU/WF series (and of course, UNC and Clemson)

On the other hand, IF we were to sweep FSU (I know, fat chance of that happening in Tallahassee), AND no sweep in the VT/UVA series, AND Duke doesn't sweep UNC, AND NCSU doesn't win more than 1 vs WF, then we would finish in the top 4 of the ACC. For example, UVA, Duke & WF all going 2-1 this weekend while we go 3-0 would put us in a 4-way tie for 3rd place with Duke, UVA, and WF all at 17-13. I don't know the exact tiebreakers that the ACC uses, but we should get the #3 seed in that case (Head to head: GT 4-2, Duke 5-4, UVA 4-5, WF 2-4).

So bottom line, no it is not going to happen. There is probably a greater probability that we finish with a sub-.500 ACC record than to get a top seed in the ACC tournament. Just when Tech baseball gets your hopes up, Lucy snatches ball away leaving us flat on our back.

Agree no discernable chance of us making a top 4 seed. And it is much more likely for us to get swept @FSU than sweep. (Duh)

I think we are most likely to end up winning 1 @ FSU and with a 15-15 ACC record. Then the ACCT performance will come into play. Lose 2 there and we may not get a bid. Win two (or three or four) and we will.

So I ain't kicking the football yet. But we are in the mix as a bubble team which is MUCH better than where we were after UNC and BC swept us.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
And that series is what makes RPI and predicting college baseball next to impossible. This is NOT major league baseball where players talents are more fully developed / steady and you aren't making a largely new team for each 60 game year.

Anyway, it's all good. We control our destiny to make the NCAAT. It's pitching that will tell how far we go. And that seems to be a random number generator too; McKee trending up, Finateri down and Cam pretty steady. We HAVE to score 6 or more to have a >50% shot of winning; 15 or more to make it a lock. We gave up 28 runs to Duke and still won two. Without our improved D, these numbers would be worse. We can beat anyone; we can lose to anyone when the bats go cold. IIWII.
I like your line about our pitching results being a random number generator. That is a very good description of it.

Those numbers you posted just scream out that we have 13 - 15 arms that are capable of being good, but none that are even close to a sure thing. As I mentioned last week, our main problem with pitching is that we don't have any top-of-the-rotation types. No equivalent to Burress/Ellis/Giesler, someone who is nearly always money, someone who pushes everyone else down a slot, adding depth to the staff. This team would really look good with a Brant Hurter at the top.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Whose pitching staff sucks:

a. dook who yielded 29 runs to us?
b. clemp who only gave up 21?
c. da U who let us score 30?
d. wahoos who gave up a whopping 37?
e. fake tech or nc st who let us score 31?
f. Pitt or BC who astounded me by holding us to 15?

or
g. unc takes the prize with 11

We complain about our staff but those are some fugly numbers.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow

or

I read the Duke chat and they sound like us…hammering there bullpen 😂

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow

or

I’d also point out that John Giesler didn’t play in the unc series and came back against BC after missing 35 days.

He was very rusty in the BC series and it took John about a week to really catch back up to live game action.

I truly believe that Unc does have a very good pitching staff and if we played that series, I’m not certain the results would change; however, I think if the Bc series was played now with our starters of Aeden, Cam Jones, and Tate in place along with Giesler’s return from injury….I definitely think we take that series now.

That’s one thing rpi cannot measure and that is a key player getting or returning from injury.

That injury allowed us to build quality depth that could only help in a regional

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
I’d also point out that John Giesler didn’t play in the unc series and came back against BC after missing 35 days.

He was very rusty in the BC series and it took John about a week to really catch back up to live game action.

I truly believe that Unc does have a very good pitching staff and if we played that series, I’m not certain the results would change; however, I think if the Bc series was played now with our starters of Aeden, Cam Jones, and Tate in place along with Giesler’s return from injury….I definitely think we take that series now.

That’s one thing rpi cannot measure and that is a key player getting or returning from injury.

That injury allowed us to build quality depth that could only help in a regional
I like something Wiley said during the game on Friday, and I think he is right about this....RPI is a Pass/Fail tool. It will tell the committee who to consider for at-large bids and who not to even consider, but beyond that the national committee and the regional committees are knowledgeable enough to make assessments such as the one above about the various teams. Get a top 30 RPI and you are highly likely in. An RPI between 30 and 50 you are on the bubble. An RPI in the 50s isn't good unless there is some really strong reason why that RPI should be ignored, and an RPI 60 or lower and you best win your conference auto bid if you want in. I looked and for the past 5 tourneys the ACC has received usually either 8 or 9 births, although there was a season in there where the number was only 6. Right this second we would be the ACC #8 team, and with an RPI inside the top-50 I think we would be in. But the margin of error to remain top-8 is very thin, and and I suspect losing 2 of 3 to FSU would keep our RPI right on the edge of the top 50 as well. So, this week we need at least 2 wins, best if they are in Tallahassee, but if not we will probably have some work to do in the ACC Tourney.

ETA: A rainout tomorrow versus Mercer may be what we should be hoping for. There is little upside to us playing that game. Not playing would allow us to have a full bullpen available for the FSU series.

Last edited:

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Aaron Fitt on today's D1Baseball.com weekly chat ( d1baseball.com/chats/d1baseball-weekly-chat-may-13-2/ ). His reply matches what several have said on his board.

Q: Does GT need to win its pool in Charlotte to feel comfortable? To me, I believe the RPI is being drug by 1 or 2 non con series—other metrics are tourney worthy.
A: That RPI is a bit concerning, sure, but if they can at least win one game in Tallahassee this weekend, I still really like their chances to get a bid, even if they don't win their pool in Charlotte. 15-15 in the regular-season followed by 1-1 in pool play should be enough. They've played good ball in the second half of the season, and that should matter.