2024 Schedule Difficulty - Projections per CFN

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Not all that surprised. The #1 obstacle standing between Tech and another winning year is our schedule.

When, oh, when is this going to stop? Why does our athletic department continue to avoid scheduling to win? And, btw, I don't want to hear one word from people out there who give me the "But… a tough schedule means higher rankings and a better chance at a playoff slot!" As I keep saying here, in 5 years no one - recruits, fans, fomer players, the media, the whole kit and caboodle - r will remember who we played, just whether we won.

Let's please, PLEASE, start scheduling so that we can!

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Not all that surprised. The #1 obstacle standing between Tech and another winning year is our schedule.

When, oh, when is this going to stop? Why does our athletic department continue to avoid scheduling to win? And, btw, I don't want to hear one word from people out there who give me the "But… a tough schedule means higher rankings and a better chance at a playoff slot!" As I keep saying here, in 5 years no one - recruits, fans, fomer players, the media, the whole kit and caboodle - r will remember who we played, just whether we won.

Lot of this years' difficulty is due to ACC scheduling. Notre Dame is included in that scheduling agreement too

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
If anybody who thinks this schedule is intimidating, and wants to see Tech in the B1G, I’ve got news for you. It’s not going to get any easier. Our schedule was supposed to be top 10 hardest last year, and ended up being pretty average. Remember, preseason rankings don’t mean anything. Especially in the transfer portal era

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow

The 2025 schedule looks very winnable… I like our new ACC schedule format starting in 2025.

In 2024 we’re still paying for sins of the past as we only have five home games…

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Confused about what the numbers mean. Is Tech’s schedule the 9th hardest in the nation or is it 45th?

I still haven’t had enough coffee. Someone explain what the percentage means as well as the two types of ranking.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
We should consider a metric called Ease of Schedule as opposed to Strength of Schedule. From Dave Barton of CFB Matrix:

“Ease of schedule, ease of schedule. Well, for so long, strength of schedule always drove me nuts, right? Because strength of schedule, number one, strength of schedule, there's no correlation to how good or tough your schedule is and the quality of the team, right?
I mean, no matter what 12 teams you are playing on your college football schedule, your team is only as good as the team. The schedule has nothing to do with it. And I don't know why we have these contests over who has the toughest schedule overall, because to me, it never had any meaning.
So I'm always trying to derive meaning from the data. And so the next step that I took is I calculate, and I've been doing this for over a decade, is I calculate ease of schedule. And the ease of schedule is the 12 teams a team is playing relative to their talent, right?
So let me give you an example, okay? Right there in the backyard, you got Georgia, Georgia State. They each play the same 12 teams on the road and at home.
Their strength of schedule is identical, right? You know, it has to be identical, because they play the same road and home schedule as one another. So that is an equal strength of schedule.
But the ease of schedule, now we're taking a look at that strength of the schedule, and then our denominator is the talent of the team. So the ease of schedule of Georgia with the same 12 teams as Georgia State, well, you and I both know, Georgia is going to have a easier schedule.”

The link to the show is below and the conversation begins at the 29:40 mark.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
We should consider a metric called Ease of Schedule as opposed to Strength of Schedule. From Dave Barton of CFB Matrix:

“Ease of schedule, ease of schedule. Well, for so long, strength of schedule always drove me nuts, right? Because strength of schedule, number one, strength of schedule, there's no correlation to how good or tough your schedule is and the quality of the team, right?
I mean, no matter what 12 teams you are playing on your college football schedule, your team is only as good as the team. The schedule has nothing to do with it. And I don't know why we have these contests over who has the toughest schedule overall, because to me, it never had any meaning.
So I'm always trying to derive meaning from the data. And so the next step that I took is I calculate, and I've been doing this for over a decade, is I calculate ease of schedule. And the ease of schedule is the 12 teams a team is playing relative to their talent, right?
So let me give you an example, okay? Right there in the backyard, you got Georgia, Georgia State. They each play the same 12 teams on the road and at home.
Their strength of schedule is identical, right? You know, it has to be identical, because they play the same road and home schedule as one another. So that is an equal strength of schedule.
But the ease of schedule, now we're taking a look at that strength of the schedule, and then our denominator is the talent of the team. So the ease of schedule of Georgia with the same 12 teams as Georgia State, well, you and I both know, Georgia is going to have a easier schedule.”

The link to the show is below and the conversation begins at the 29:40 mark.

This is completely stupid.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

How would you do that on a pragmatic level? The 2024 schedule has 9 ACC obligated games, the mutt game, Ga State and VMI. The only games that are in GT's control are Ga State, VMI, and the mutts. Are State and VMI increasing the strength of the schedule? If not, then replacing them wouldn't matter. Do you want to drop the mutt game?

Unlike basketball and baseball, there are few games that are not conference obligations. Next year, all of the non-conference opponents are already set. Until 2028 the only opponents not signed are the FCS games. 2028 is the only year in the near future that we could actually schedule something easier because only the mutts are signed OOC. 2029-2032 have the mutts and either Alabama or ND every year, so it only leave one G5 and one FCS spot.

I'm not trying to be cynical of your idea, I just don't understand what you actually mean in actual practice. Do you refuse to play the ACC schedule? In 2025, do you want to drop the mutt game and pay the buyout to Colorado so that GT can sign a full G5 and FCS OOC schedule? What if Key has the team at 10-3 in 2024 and the media actually thinks GT has a shot at the playoffs in 2025? Do we want an extremely weak OOC schedule in that situation? How would you actually take the idea of easier schedule and start taking action?

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
If anybody who thinks this schedule is intimidating, and wants to see Tech in the B1G, I’ve got news for you. It’s not going to get any easier. Our schedule was supposed to be top 10 hardest last year, and ended up being pretty average. Remember, preseason rankings don’t mean anything. Especially in the transfer portal era
Agreed. The theory seems to be that if we make it to the B!G, we will have more money with which to buy better players.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Why would the B1G want us now?
They're already in the Atlanta market. Look at how Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State already recruit Georgia. Minnesota has recruited the state hard too.
And they're not getting 1990 Tech (national contenders in football, basketball and baseball). They're getting 2024 Tech. 7-6 football. Under .500 basketball. And confounding baseball.
We got nothing to offer the B1G.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree with the idea that SOS is overly flat with respect to “expected tesult” or expected team quality.

A top 25 team playing team 80 vs team 120 shouldn’t care. A team ranked 90, on the other hand…

So if you expect GT to win 8 in 2024, you’d want a “difficulty level” specific to that expected number of wins.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
What is ironic is in baseball we schedule way too easy OOC games and get screwed by RPI. Football schedule too hard OOC games and possibly get screwed by not winning 6.
Agreed. In the past, we had the double whammy of the mutts and Clemson baked into our football schedule, which typically made it the most challenging in the ACC over the past 20 years. It gets a little better going forward with Clemson in a rotation.