2024 Football Portal

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
NIL, as far as I know, is not designed to be “pay for play.” NIL $ is not supposed to be connected to particular schools. But in reality, it is. There might be a way to separate NIL from specific programs. I dunno how, but it is so obvious it’s pay for play that they don’t even pretend it’s not.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Did I see back somewhere Dr. Cabrera was supportive of the players being employees of the school?

Does having schools employ the players make the school accountable for cheating?

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
I say we go after this unit to play alongside Biggers and Lockett. That would be a lot of beef.

I wonder if we are looking at this kid. He's played for our DC and is from Atlanta.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Soooo, I take it we are done with portal pickups?

(You know...the actual topic of this thread?)
I’m most interested in Miami DT Thomas Gore, who has an upcoming visit. He was only a rotation player at UM but was a quality starter at Ga St and fills a position of need for depth.

Also we have loose ends with Coastal Carolina OG Will McDonald and Michigan St backup RB Jalen Berger. We are looking to add depth at this point, nothing major. The staff will likely turn focus towards recruiting as the summer nears.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You are wrong. The NCAA has no jurisdiction over how much a NIL collective pays a single student athlete, let alone how much they pay all the players in a program. Further, if they tried to set a cap, it would get shut down by the courts in a second since they would be infringing on the players non school related income. Caps work in professional sports because the players are employees of the league and the league can establish team salary caps for competitive purposes.

Repeat after me....

Neither the schools nor the NCAA pay NIL so they cannot cap NIL.
But they can regulate themselves.
Limit dates for coaching and player moves.
Require 2 year contracts.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I am sorry. Who can regulate themselves? 2 year contracts between whom?

By consent of the governed the ncaa regulates the number of scholarships.(85) as of a certain date. Maybe tighten up so that it complicates roster shuffle.for each school.

Scholarships are for a minimum term of year. Maybe offer 2 year minimum. If player leaves

Only allow a school to offer so many portal scholarships over a term.

Go to playoffs 3 years in a,row and lose a bunch of scholarships or portal takes)

They could standardize some of the terms of coaches (not actal dollar) to super penalize for leaving early. Perhaps make the poacher pay 2 years salary.

The college presidents incharge will do nothing

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
By consent of the governed the ncaa regulates the number of scholarships.(85) as of a certain date. Maybe tighten up so that it complicates roster shuffle.for each school.

Scholarships are for a minimum term of year. Maybe offer 2 year minimum. If player leaves

Go to playoffs 3 years in a,row and lose a bunch of scholarships or portal takes)

They could standardize some of the terms of coaches (not actal dollar) to super penalize for leaving early. Perhaps make the poacher pay 2 years salary.

Penaltly for success is wrong with regards to scholarships. What they are going to have to do is limit overall roster size to a hard 95. Some schools now have another 50 or so walk-ins that are on nil

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Agree that NIL is a way to overcome scholarship limits.
" Hey Frank, I can't offer you a scholarship, but we can get you an NIL deal worth $500,000. We'll put you on as a walk on and have your NIL payments cover room, board, and tuition."

Next thing you know, UGA, Alabama, tOSU, etc. have 150 to 200 football players on the team.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

Guess what? Lawsuit now to do away with preferred walkons.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
NIL, as far as I know, is not designed to be “pay for play.” NIL $ is not supposed to be connected to particular schools. But in reality, it is. There might be a way to separate NIL from specific programs. I dunno how, but it is so obvious it’s pay for play that they don’t even pretend it’s not.
Read this and instantly played a scenario in my head. Let’s say Auburn has the number one running back in the nation, he’s also from a small family farm, is photogenic and speaks like a paid actor. A wealthy alum of uga discovers that this Auburn RB can make endless commercials for his feed and seed company and in a few years corner the market in the southeast. Does the wealthy uga alum, who also happens to give his financial support to the bulldogs, buy the NIL for this Auburn player?

In a different world maybe but right now at least NIL is definitely connected to the school more than individual players.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
You get around collusion with a union agreement. This is how most pro leagues do it (some have certain additional legal protection, but not all).

Liability/insurance concerns don’t seem realistic to me - lots of broke minor league baseball teams out there paying peanuts that don’t seem to have problems there.

Can a CBA prevent outside NIL deals? Harder to say; courts and gov aren’t looking kindly on outside work restrictions generally right now. And pro athletes obviously have NIL.

Is there much money to throw at “fake NIL” if programs and thus donors have to fund real salaries instead? I think not at nearly the level of today outside of some superstars; and if not, that reduces tampering a lot.
Comparing occupational risk for baseball to that of football is apples and oranges.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

Plenty of schools offer 4 year ships. It does nothing to stop transfers.

No way, the NCAA or the schools will approve your suggestions.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Only allowed 105 with walkons right now.

Only allowed 105 on rosters. There are some grey shirts that are getting NIL money at the factories. Cutting that down to 95 will help curtail that a little. Otherwise we are going to start seeing Star Qbs actually be preferred walkons.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The roster limit is currently 120.

"But those scholarships would come in other sports, if the football limit stays at 85 — and mean the end of walk-ons. There already are roster limits in most sports, 120 being that number in football. So for years, there was a clear dividing line — scholarship and walk-ons — in the major sports, and baseball, gymnastics and other sports had a more awkward arrangement of partial scholarships: 35 baseball players, only 11.7 scholarships to spread around the team."

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Comparing occupational risk for baseball to that of football is apples and oranges.
Are you thinking more something specific like concussions and lasting damage or more like future career lost earnings risk? Sub minor league hockey for baseball for the former if that’s it.

Is amateurism a shield to injury liability anyway though? If you’re a non profit doing work with volunteers you still have to worry about it and want a waiver of liability. What’s the key difference here, the duties and risks for players would remain exactly the same?