2022 Atlanta Braves

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Either Freddie really wanted to leave and go back to LA or his agent screwed him. 5/140 at ga taxes vs 6/162 at Cali taxes.

I choose to believe incompetence over FF wanting to go.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
Or it could have been his agent holding out for more, then the Braves signed Oly.

The contract basically says that he values year six at $12M, which will probably be the league minimum by then /s. That only pays off if he’s injured.

slugboy

Staff member
Here’s the AJC story. Not too much about the contract:
Ex-Brave Freddie Freeman lands 6-year deal with Dodgers

https://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-...deal-with-dodgers/NFWJQ6SOSZACHFULUXUMXW2UEI/

(Via AJC News)

Either Freddie really wanted to leave and go back to LA or his agent screwed him. 5/140 at ga taxes vs 6/162 at Cali taxes.

I choose to believe incompetence over FF wanting to go.

For an MLB player, taxes are withheld in each city they play in. If an Atlanta Brave plays a three-day stand against the Mets, they pay New Jersey taxes for that part of their salary. The same thing when they play in Florida or Texas or anywhere else--the fraction of income they receive in that city is subject to that income tax (or lack of it). Accounting software for pro athletes is fun stuff.

Between deferred salary and other techniques, an agent can make sure that Freddie has enough to live his best possible life in LA and take care of his loved ones and most favored charities. He and his family will be able to live a good life in LA and have amenities that they wouldn't have in Atlanta.

The reason to work out a deal to stay in Atlanta is because you have people you love here. That didn't work out for Freddie.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Here’s the AJC story. Not too much about the contract:
Ex-Brave Freddie Freeman lands 6-year deal with Dodgers

https://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-...deal-with-dodgers/NFWJQ6SOSZACHFULUXUMXW2UEI/

(Via AJC News)

For an MLB player, taxes are withheld in each city they play in. If an Atlanta Brave plays a three-day stand against the Mets, they pay New Jersey taxes for that part of their salary. The same thing when they play in Florida or Texas or anywhere else--the fraction of income they receive in that city is subject to that income tax (or lack of it). Accounting software for pro athletes is fun stuff.

Between deferred salary and other techniques, an agent can make sure that Freddie has enough to live his best possible life in LA and take care of his loved ones and most favored charities. He and his family will be able to live a good life in LA and have amenities that they wouldn't have in Atlanta.

The reason to work out a deal to stay in Atlanta is because you have people you love here. That didn't work out for Freddie.
Oh absolutely. He will have no issue with quality of life. Ultimately, the balance of increased taxes (even if it’s just home games to simplify) and cost of living. The difference is pretty small over 6 full years. And he’d have close to equal if not more bring home the first 5 if the Atlanta offer was legit.

Makes me think it wasn’t a money issue he is not in Atlanta.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Or it could have been his agent holding out for more, then the Braves signed Oly.

Is this a thing? Just makes me hate that guy more.

And shout out to @slugboy for that tax nugget. I keep trying to tell people it's not just as simple as saying X state has no income tax vs Y state that does. But nobody listens to me. :cry:

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow

Yes, they pay taxes based on the city they're in. But being a Dodger means 81 games played in dodger stadium + 9 games played in San Francisco + 9 games played in San Diego. Being in Atlanta means 81 games in Atlanta + games in Florida.

The catch is that Freddie lives in SoCal during the off season, so he would end up paying California taxes on all income anyway (he gets credit for the other state payments, but still has to pay the higher rate). A smart accountant would make sure that he spends 183 nights in Georgia so he could claim Georgia residency to avoid that.

I doubt we'll ever really know what happened, but my guess is either he wanted to stay local (he's a California boy) or his agent blew it and called the Braves' bluff on the Olson trade.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
There will be a LOT of Freddie Freeman Braves jerseys in the crowd every time the Dodgers play in Atlanta…
As an owner of Francoeur, McCann, Hayward, and Freeman jerseys, I will never again buy the jersey of an active player. And also probably not a living former player (the minute I do that, Chipper will get caught making a racist remark on a hot mic).

Stick to the deceased great ones.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer

So the Braves organization was unwilling to do what needed to be done to keep him, or wanted to move on....

That would have been one of my posts to some earlier in this thread, but I try to keep a low profile on Braves matters as a Mets fan.

I would still say that it's a shame that Freeman didn't get to retire as a Brave like Chipper Jones did. A great player, will always be remembered as a Brave regardless what he does in LA.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
So the Braves organization was unwilling to do what needed to be done to keep him, or wanted to move on....

That would have been one of my posts to some earlier in this thread, but I try to keep a low profile on Braves matters as a Mets fan.

I would still say that it's a shame that Freeman didn't get to retire as a Brave like Chipper Jones did. A great player, will always be remembered as a Brave regardless what he does in LA.
He had plenty of chances to retire a brave. Braves tried to negotiate before the 2021 season then during the 2021 season. The Braves made him a fair offer at the start of the offseason. Then made him a better offer than the one he took.

The more I read, the more it seems like Freddie had an overly aggressive agent that blew it (and by that I mean the reunion - everyone ended up in a good place)

Last edited:

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
The Freddie stuff is really coming out. There’s a good ESPN article behind the paywall that has discussion with Freddie, Chipper, and AA.

Basically, AA and Freddie both wanted to return. Freddie’s agent kept pushing ridiculous offers like 6/200 while the AA stayed in the 5/140-150 range using Goldschmidt as a benchmark (5/130). AA told Freddie that he had to move on if they couldn’t make a deal. AA then told Freddie’s agent that he had a deal lined up and that their final offer of 5/156 had to be accepted in an hour or they’re trading for Olson (literally told them who they were trading for). Freddie’s agent countered with 5/165 or 6/180 and said it was firm. AA traded for Olson and Freddie said he was shocked. He ended up settling for the Dodgers deal which was worse than the Atlanta offer because the Yankees had already moved on and he had no leverage with the dodgers.

That sounds like a terrible agent.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
Freeman quote per his father who was with him when the Olson trade was announced: “I can’t believe it. Why didn’t they tell me? How did this happen? Out of nowhere, they didn’t tell me they were moving on. How does that happen?'”

AA literally told the agent they were working a trade for Matt Olson and that the agent had 1 hour or the deal would go through. Sounds like the agent really screwed up - didn’t even take an offer back to his client.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Freeman quote per his father who was with him when the Olson trade was announced: “I can’t believe it. Why didn’t they tell me? How did this happen? Out of nowhere, they didn’t tell me they were moving on. How does that happen?'”

AA literally told the agent they were working a trade for Matt Olson and that the agent had 1 hour or the deal would go through. Sounds like the agent really screwed up - didn’t even take an offer back to his client.
Yeah, the more that comes out, the more it sounds like the agent is just terrible at his job.