11/28 - MBB vs. Miss St.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Funny, he bounces around like Alvarado and looks short comparably, but looked him up and he is 6'-3".
I wouldn't have thought 6'3" after seeing him in Cincy, but our seats were really cheap so my perception was tough. He may continue to earn time with performance results.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I thought we got a very favorable whistle. As I've said before, MissSt not being able to play bullyball was a big factor. If I were a MsSt fan, I'd be pissed. Does that make you feel better, @JacketOff ?
I didn’t even bring up last night’s game when talking about the officials. What’s going to make me feel better is if we do lose a game, that 1/4 of the posts in the thread aren’t talking about how bad the officials are.
I disagree. Often the foul count is inequitable.
Is the foul count being inequitable a sign of poor officiating? Or is it poor play by one of the teams? I’d vote the latter for 95% of cases.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I didn’t even bring up last night’s game when talking about the officials. What’s going to make me feel better is if we do lose a game, that 1/4 of the posts in the thread aren’t talking about how bad the officials are.

Eh, they're human too. Sometimes they are bad.

And I'll probably chime in on the refs after a loss just to mess with you now so ...

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Is the foul count being inequitable a sign of poor officiating? Or is it poor play by one of the teams? I’d vote the latter for 95% of cases.
That wasn’t the point. Complaining about officiating rarely has anything to do with good or poor officiating. The complaints
typically stem from feeling that the officiating was inequitable or overly/underly intrusive.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That wasn’t the point. Complaining about officiating rarely has anything to do with good or poor officiating. The complaints
typically stem from feeling that the officiating was inequitable or overly/underly intrusive.

I feel like ol' jaggoff (said lovingly) picked a bad time to go up that hill. We play Duqe next....

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I feel like ol' jaggoff (said lovingly) picked a bad time to go up that hill. We play Duqe next....
Duke gets more foul calls in their favor because they generally have better players and they are very fundamentally sound on defense. The conspiracy train is for the loser!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Just got done watching the game.

Defense looked real active and certainly won us the game. MSU was having an off night and missed some makable shots, but we made their life hard on that end pretty consistently. I feel like our guards really made it hard for their guards to get things going which made it hard for MSU to try and take advantage of their interior players. We'll need that throughout the year.

Offensively, way too much individual play. We had some nice individual moments out of it but far too many other forced shots that ended poorly. We also had several exceptions to that though with stints of good ball movement that most ended in good open rhythm shots (most went in but one that I recall ended in a Claude airball). I feel like we need a lot more of that and less trying to force the issue early in the clock. That also seemed to hurt us later in the game when we seemed to try and slow it down and we look like we didn't have much of a plan.

From individual stand point,

Like what I saw from George as a freshman overall.

Kelly had great energy. Especially on the boards.

Sturdivant had several key plays part of the way into the second half when it felt like MSU might have something going that kept it at arms reach. Still baffles me the way he is being used.

Ndongo has a tremendous upside but currently he's a lot of seasoning away from being a net positive for us this year. Hopefully he's still knocking off the rust from whatever caused him to miss a couple of games, and can adjust to the speed of the game.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
It helped that Miss State shot only triples for the first 10 minutes of the second half and they arent a good shooting team, ranking around 250th in the nation.
watching it live, felt like this was the key to the game. undisciplined shot selection.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Notice how because Tech won there are no comments about how bad the officiating was lol. That’s probably my least favorite part about the basketball board. Every loss leads to a barrage of criticism for the officiating, when for the most part it’s almost always fair, or at least fair enough.
Thank you.

I, for one, appreciate women in the basketball forum.

(because complaining about officiating is something men do)

Tough call: sincere sexist, realist feminist, or idiot.

(maybe not tough?)

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Notice how because Tech won there are no comments about how bad the officiating was lol. That’s probably my least favorite part about the basketball board. Every loss leads to a barrage of criticism for the officiating, when for the most part it’s almost always fair, or at least fair enough.
I’d agree with that. But, I’d also like to think that most of us here just assume the officiating to be bad (it is college basketball after all). And after wins (which don’t come easy or often with this program!), posters are so excited that they’re not pissed enough about the refs to mention it.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. Often the foul count is inequitable.
Are foul counts supposed to be equitable? I think it makes sense that we foul more often than many of our ACC opponents, and occasionally it is by a significant (and accurate) margin. Sometimes we do get screwed by the refs, but volume foul counts shouldn’t be how we contextualize when that happens. Because…

I’m sure you’d agree that GT basketball has been, for well over a decade now, inferior athletically (in both physicality and speed/quickness) to nearly every ACC team we play. If you agree with that, why would you expect foul counts to be equitable and/or use that as your metric to define equitability? Wouldn’t it actually be unlikely for team fouls to be equitable considering the game is played with 400 combined player minutes across two teams with significant differences in athleticism (and coaching)?

Last edited:

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
The officiating is almost always fairly even. Wait until we lose a game and you’ll see a boatload of comments talking about how poor it was, though.
I think we should be using the word “fair” instead of “even” because even assumes the officials are reffing two even teams. I’m probably being picky and I think you know what I’m talking about but it’s getting lost in translation here.

And while officiating may almost always be fair, it’s simultaneously almost always poor and inconsistent (inconsistent and fair are not the same thing) in-game.

Last edited:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I have gotten away from blaming the officials after losses the older I have become. If you have a team such as West Virginia under Huggins that played two bigs and pounded the ball inside, that team should, on average, draw more fouls than the Miss State team we saw Tuesday night that is just hoisting triples.

Where I become frustrated is when they make an egregious error at a key moment in the game. That has been lessened this season with the change in the charge/block rule which I have enjoyed thus far. However, when they use replay and still get the call incorrect (happens more in football) that is when I start to boil.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Mighty Mouse pressers are interesting. Very protective of the psychology of his players/team. More substantive than slick, not really there to tell people what they want to hear. Laid back/even-keeled with eye on the big picture, he's not likely to endear fans after a loss.

At the same time he's got some intensity in his eyes. Seems more focused on his vision and less what others think. I can see he has belief in what he's doing.

slugboy

Staff member
Mighty Mouse pressers are interesting. Very protective of the psychology of his players/team. More substantive than slick, not really there to tell people what they want to hear. Laid back/even-keeled with eye on the big picture, he's not likely to endear fans after a loss. My $.02.
I may be alone in this, but I like his pressers. I think he’s open and honest