Hall retained. Borrell fired.

Quietman6520

Georgia Tech Fan
My opinion only, the days of development is going away. Maybe not for all, but I would say the majority. You will see only high potential/developed recruits out of high school and year to year portal moves to fill gaps. Then coaches like Ramsey can get your hitting from good to great. We need to see the same from pitching. And I would say fielding, but I don’t think GT has a fielding coach or would be asking for his removal as well.
Our coaching style is broken. We recruit hitters and play them anywhere in the field as long as they hit. We recruit velocity/spin rate pitchers in the hopes of striking out more hitters so our porous defense is not exposed. This model does not win at a high level. Look at Clemson this year. High level defense at every position and below league average in HRs. Their players have bought into putting the ball in play and putting pressure on the other teams defense and stealing bases. As far as recruiting pitchers it is a combination of several flaws/ factors. Recruiting high velocity pitchers that cannot locate secondary pitches will never succeed unless fb is 100+. East Cobb recruiting is fine but we are not identifying the talent correctly(Would love to see a list of Atlanta area pitchers that Tech passed on who were very successful elsewhere). Perhaps we have the right pitchers but not in the right roles ? Finding a great pitch caller is not easy but this is what makes or breaks success on the mound imo

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I will add one last comment and then move on. I have had conversations with persons who are concerned that we will lose Ramsey this year. They expect him to get a lot of phone calls for a head coaching position in the next few months when the coaching changes are being made. If this ends up coming true, then I will especially pissed that we did not make the change this year.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah... Ramsey will be hired by UGA.
These recruits are coming to GT based off Ramsey’s vision, not Halls. Ramsey is the recruiter and holds the relationships. It’s a problem and I can definitely see Ramsey leaving and recruits hitting the portal to follow him (like we saw with Jay Johnson/LSU). And I wouldn’t blame him.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
These recruits are coming to GT based off Ramsey’s vision, not Halls. Ramsey is the recruiter and holds the relationships. It’s a problem and I can definitely see Ramsey leaving and recruits hitting the portal to follow him (like we saw with Jay Johnson/LSU). And I wouldn’t blame him.
Can you see that not happening & Ramsey being hired to follow Hall? I can.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
Can you see that not happening & Ramsey being hired to follow Hall? I can.
Not sure I follow your question. But I think I know where you are going with it. I suspect Ramsey’s last promotion was to keep him off the market and to show him they are invested in him being the next coach. But none of us know the relationship between Hall and Ramsey. It very well could be healthy one. And maybe Hall is taking some punches that shouldn't fall on him. Good leaders do that.

Last edited:

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
It is hilarious to me how someone makes some wild conjecture on a message board and all of a sudden the sky is falling. For all any of us know Ramsey has been given his start date already as Georgia Tech's new baseball coach and has been groomed for that position the past year or two. And has been mentored by CDH to fill his spot. To me that makes a lot more sense than we are going to lose him to the dwags or anybody else. Don't you think those closest to the program and in position to make those decisions realize his value as much or more than a bunch of fans on a website. Batt doesn't strike me as a fool.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I will add one last comment and then move on. I have had conversations with persons who are concerned that we will lose Ramsey this year. They expect him to get a lot of phone calls for a head coaching position in the next few months when the coaching changes are being made. If this ends up coming true, then I will especially pissed that we did not make the change this year.
Yeah, this could happen. It ultimately depends on what coach Ramsey decides is best for his future. There have been assistant coaches that have stayed for 10 to 20 years and have eventually taken over the top job at a top program. Clearly Hall will not last much longer, so is Ramsey's best opportunity to stay or go somewhere else? Only he can answer that.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
BA has a list of 50 coaches to "watch" ... to potentially fill vacant HC positions. 24 are current head coaches (or interim). The rest are assistants or recently fired guys.

Ramsey is not mentioned.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
My comment about Ramsey to UGA wasn't "really" serious. I get why everyone is enamored with Ramsey. I am; but I'm also risk-averse... and generally, like the guys on my side now more than anybody else. I'd be a terrible person to have to manage any coaching change.

Back to Ramsey... first of all, he appears to be a quality person. He's been here long enough to establish himself recruiting-wise. As the guy in charge of the offense... the results speak for themselves. But I'll repeat something I've posted before... Ramsey has never been a HC at any level.

When you think about how attractive the Ga Tech head baseball coach is... and you marry that up with some on the list (from Baseball America) of coaches to "watch" for openings right now... names like Brian O'Connor (UVA), Dan McDonnel (Louisville), Cliff Godwin (ECU), Tom Walter (Wake)... just to name a few. Not saying those specific guys have interest in moving to Ga Tech from their current situations; but the best coaches in the business (right now) are on their list. It is full of head coaches with tons of success and experience in P5 or prominent D1 baseball programs. When the time comes, I'd hope JBatt would open up the interview process to SEE who might be interested. I also hope Ramsey understands that and would take on the 'interview process' with the confidence he is up to the task (assuming he wants the job).

Just a thought... perhaps a reason Ramsey is not even on their 50 to watch relates to the season we just completed. He was part of a staff that lead a team that failed to meet expectations. Another assistant on that staff was fired. Ramsey doesn't get a "pass" for that... and his "resume" is less impressive today than it was 1 year ago.

There are other reasons he may be off the list too... whoever wrote it/compiled it might not be that competent OR the opposite... could be so connected he knows Ramsey is already penciled in to replace Hall. :)

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Shocked I didn’t see Ramsey listed.
I like James Ramsey, he seems to be a good recruiter and we have had good hitting under him. That said, as I have stated several times in the past, I think we as a fanbase over-value his appeal to other schools. I have never heard his name mentioned for any coaching job except the Kennesaw State job a couple of years ago, and he failed to land that one. If you look at his resume, it is quite short. He's still very young at 33 years old, turning 34 in December. As Fred stated, his competition is folks who have proven that they can run a successful program, and further down the list, assistants at successful programs, usually multiple successful programs. If we lose Ramsey, I think it will most likely be as a "lateral" move to become the assistant at a different school to get himself more exposure, or as the head coach of a small school like a Kennesaw St or a Western Carolina a la Bobby Moranda. It could be that he can step in on Day 1 and take our program to great heights, but that would be the exception to the rule if he did.

ETA: I hate to say this, but I am quite confident UGa will make a splash hire of a proven head coach. Almost certainly one who has made several trips to a super-regional in the last few years, and most likely one who has taken his program to Omaha once or twice in recent seasons.

Now that I have written this, I expect Ramsey to be named to a high profile position within the next month. When that happens, I expect a percentage of the agent fees!

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I like James Ramsey, he seems to be a good recruiter and we have had good hitting under him. That said, as I have stated several times in the past, I think we as a fanbase over-value his appeal to other schools. I have never heard his name mentioned for any coaching job except the Kennesaw State job a couple of years ago, and he failed to land that one. If you look at his resume, it is quite short. He's still very young at 33 years old, turning 34 in December. As Fred stated, his competition is folks who have proven that they can run a successful program, and further down the list, assistants at successful programs, usually multiple successful programs. If we lose Ramsey, I think it will most likely be as a "lateral" move to become the assistant at a different school to get himself more exposure, or as the head coach of a small school like a Kennesaw St or a Western Carolina like Bobby Moranda. It could be that he can step in on Day 1 and take our program to great heights, but that would be the exception to the rule if he did.

ETA: I hate to say this, but I am quite confident UGa will make a splash hire of a proven head coach. Almost certainly one who has made several trips to a super-regional in the last few years, and most likely one who has taken his program to Omaha once or twice in recent seasons.

Now that I have said that, I expect him to be named to a high profile position within the next month. When that happens, I expect a percentage of the agent fees!

FSU worries me a lot (especially in another couple years if they keep struggling).

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
FSU worries me a lot (especially in another couple years if they keep struggling).
FSU just made the splashiest hire of them all last off-season. I will be VERY surprised if they make another hire in the next three seasons, and would be willing to bet they are set for the next 10 years at a minimum, probably closer to 15 seasons. Jarrett has won everywhere he has been, including UNC-Greensboro, so no reason to expect differently in Tallahassee.

Now, if you mean Ramsey to Tallahassee as a recruiting lead/associate head coach, I could see that.