Conference Realignment

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The ACC should have added Texas 10 years before the SEC. The ACC should have "merged" with the PAC-12 5 years before the B1G took anything of value from them. Hell, the ACC should have grabbed Penn State way back when they got Florida State. It's never been a forward thinking conference. Notre Dame is the only thing left that can save this conference and I'm not even sure that would work. We would need to add them and remove some dead weight too.
That whole GOR thing might have been in the way though...

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I am traveling with a UNC grad this week. He said UNC AD reported a $24M budget deficit to BOT. First I had heard of it. May be a reason they are looking for more TV revenue. They have a lot of non revenue sports.

UNC Total Revenue in 2022: $122,603,567
UNC Total Expenses in 2022: $120,314,967

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I was under the impression that the board has held the position that UNC and UNCS are unseperable/ and should one go the other must join them. No?

I think the politicians want UNC to take NC St wherever they go, or make sure NC State has a home in the P2. Lots of political pressure for it in NC. At least that's what I've read. When push comes to shove, I don't think UNC will be told they can't go B1G or SEC when they get the invite but those conferences aren't willing to take NC State.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That whole GOR thing might have been in the way though...

I read somewhere the ACC did approach Texas and A&M years ago, but the Texas schools felt the ACC couldn't offer them anything the Big 12 didn't already have. Also, Texas ruled the roost in the Big 12, moreso than UNC rules the ACC, so they weren't giving that up to make a lateral move.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think the politicians want UNC to take NC St wherever they go, or make sure NC State has a home in the P2. Lots of political pressure for it in NC. At least that's what I've read. When push comes to shove, I don't think UNC will be told they can't go B1G or SEC when they get the invite but those conferences aren't willing to take NC State.
UNC is not going to be party to the dissolution of the ACC. If the ACC falls apart because of FSU and Clemson, or the end of a media contract, that's a different matter. But, the BOG has said UNC and NCSU and others have to have BOG approval to change conferences. UNC cannot do it on their own.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
UNC is not going to be party to the dissolution of the ACC. If the ACC falls apart because of FSU and Clemson, or the end of a media contract, that's a different matter. But, the BOG has said UNC and NCSU and others have to have BOG approval to change conferences. UNC cannot do it on their own.

No one is saying UNC is going out independently of the BOG. In the end, the BOG will do what's best for the long term health of UNC's athletic department. From your comments, you seem to think the BOG won't support UNC leaving the ACC given the financial windfall of joining the SEC or B1G. I disagree...but we'll see about that.

Like I said, I fully expect UNC will be part of a handful of teams (GT included) to exit the ACC in 3-5 years. If it doesn't happen, I'll be the first one to say I was wrong.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Teams leaving conferences and joining other conferences ARE GETTING A REDUCED CUT- They maybe taking less than they were making, but it's a step up and offered long term security ( pac8).

Those in the ACC voted to add 3 crummy football teams, must not (imo) have ESPN in mind. Its likely the SAME group of ACC that demand "" equal""" pay no matter how bad they perform or no matter how little they invest. I don't think ESPN and top teams are for the crummy teams getting an equal share. (Saw an article that said Nabisco introduced a new Oreo WITHOUT DOING ANY TV ADVERTISMENT. 100% social media. Disney , who owns ESPN , got 0. ).

Hearing ACC prez Phillips say we will do what's best for student athlete gives me pause. Sounds like he is trying to console the group that's received bad news.

I am not big gt being a part of Big Nerd Conference.
BNC.BNC, we use big words C!
We have a super upside due to location and due to massive under perform of past prez and TFP.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Teams leaving conferences and joining other conferences ARE GETTING A REDUCED CUT- They maybe taking less than they were making, but it's a step up and offered long term security ( pac8).

Those in the ACC voted to add 3 crummy football teams, must not (imo) have ESPN in mind. Its likely the SAME group of ACC that demand "" equal""" pay no matter how bad they perform or no matter how little they invest. I don't think ESPN and top teams are for the crummy teams getting an equal share. (Saw an article that said Nabisco introduced a new Oreo WITHOUT DOING ANY TV ADVERTISMENT. 100% social media. Disney , who owns ESPN , got 0. ).

Hearing ACC prez Phillips say we will do what's best for student athlete gives me pause. Sounds like he is trying to console the group that's received bad news.

We have a super upside due to location and due to massive under perform of past prez and TFP.

Phillips has ALWAYS been about what's best for the student-athlete. His message is nothing new. That doesn't mean he doesn't hold the fiscal health of the ACC first and foremost.

These NIL deals are, in my opinion, not what's best for the student-athlete.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow

I won't be surprised if in 3 or 4 years SMU is a top 10 team. They don't have the pedigree of a Texas, Oklahoma, USC, but they were super good when they let the money flow (illegally). Now they can let it flow legally. Watch out.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
This is what I was talking about a couple of days ago, time for the political and media pressure to begin with the Peach State.

gtbb

Georgia Tech Fan
The ACC should have added Texas 10 years before the SEC. The ACC should have "merged" with the PAC-12 5 years before the B1G took anything of value from them. Hell, the ACC should have grabbed Penn State way back when they got Florida State. It's never been a forward thinking conference. Notre Dame is the only thing left that can save this conference and I'm not even sure that would work. We would need to add them and remove some dead weight too.
We used to be forward-looking. Personally, I thought we hit a home run in '92 with FSU, and then '04 and Miami and VPI. After we added Miami, which I think was announced in 2003, right after they'd played for a national title and only a few years after VPI had played for a national title, I was convinced back then that the ACC was going to be the best power conference.

Then, Miami fell apart, and FSU also fell apart at the same time.

As a conference, we were a national non-factor until FSU in 2013.

I think sometimes our conference made moves that seemed to be very smart. I thought getting Notre Dame locked into 5-games per year with the ACC was a great thing, too. But adding programs like Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Louisville...to me, that's when we started adding numbers without adding value.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We used to be forward-looking. Personally, I thought we hit a home run in '92 with FSU, and then '04 and Miami and VPI. After we added Miami, which I think was announced in 2003, right after they'd played for a national title and only a few years after VPI had played for a national title, I was convinced back then that the ACC was going to be the best power conference.

Then, Miami fell apart, and FSU also fell apart at the same time.

As a conference, we were a national non-factor until FSU in 2013.

I think sometimes our conference made moves that seemed to be very smart. I thought getting Notre Dame locked into 5-games per year with the ACC was a great thing, too. But adding programs like Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Louisville...to me, that's when we started adding numbers without adding value.
Agree.

The gt prez at time of Pitt and Syracuse also hired Tstan and TFP. Maybe he added those weaker teams to help gt look better? Seems like the same thinking is being used with adding Cal, Stan, SMU.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I have attached the Chad Bishop article from the AJC. He was able to interview J Batt. Chad's impression is that GT is pretty committed to the ACC.
Given J's close to the vest professionalism on everything else, that this is the public view is unsurprising. Maybe we are having back door conversations with other conferences, but until something is official I can't see J making public noise about it

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I had a long conversation with my UNC connected neighbor this morning. First, he echoed my point that UNC is not interested in bolting from the ACC. Second, they cannot say whether they have had any talks with the SEC or B1G. Their BOT members who are talking about suing the ACC do not represent the feelings of the BOG or the UNC administration. The buzz he got from his contact is that the B1G will not accept an ACC member right now unless they have their uncontested media rights and are willing to join with little or no media share. None of the current members are willing to take a smaller share to admit a new member unless that new member is Notre Dame. He said ND is the key to any B1G expansion. They do not want an odd number of teams and ND is the only team that moves the needle for them.

He refuses to reveal the identity of his contact. He told me it is not a coach.

I wonder if the ACC would be willing to negotiate with FSU or Clemson to leave the conference if the new conference allowed them to continue as an ACC media member for the duration of the ESPN deal. So, for example, uga playing FSU in Tallahassee would be part of the ACC package and the ACC would continue paying FSU their share of the media contract. And ESPN would extend the deal to 2036. FSU would get nothing from the SEC media deal.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I won't be surprised if in 3 or 4 years SMU is a top 10 team. They don't have the pedigree of a Texas, Oklahoma, USC, but they were super good when they let the money flow (illegally). Now they can let it flow legally. Watch out.
I concur. We are in the infancy of this new era of legally paying players and schools are still trying to figure it out. Within 5 years I expect some schools will begin to emerge as powers that no one would expect. SMU is definitely one who showed what they could put together with money in the past. Every school has money these days. It simply comes down to having the will to figure out ways to tap that money. Of course, this is where I’ll be told how monies are separate, etc and that AA’s are independent etc and that it simply comes down to fanbase size etc. Thats all just BS for not having an institutional will. GT, as an example, has plenty of money to be able to buy competitive sports teams. That we use excuses on why we can’t, other schools are finding ways to.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Just for information, the ACC Presidents and Chancellors with meet next week in Charlotte to discuss the same issues discussed in this week's Spring Meeting by Athletic Directors and Coaches.

This was revealed by Andrea Adelson and David Hale while interviewing Jim Phillips on ACC PM (ACC Network). No specific dates were given.