Baye Declares for NBA; Retaining Eligibility

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The thing is, Baye isn’t young. He was 21 for half of this season. Dual was 18 this entire season.
How long has Baye been playing basketball?

For some reason I had the impression that he was late coming to organized play with top level instruction. I could be wrong but that would make him a “youngster” in how his game is perceived.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
How long has Baye been playing basketball?

For some reason I had the impression that he was late coming to organized play with top level instruction. I could be wrong but that would make him a “youngster” in how his game is perceived.
Since he was 14. He’s not THAT new to the game — he’s got both hands, solid touch, good footwork, etc. Obviously needs to improve his jumper and get stronger but you can say that for most 18 year old power forward freshman prospects. It just so happens that our freshman prospect is 21.

For all intents and purposes, he just came out of nowhere and shocked everyone with a great junior season. He’ll never play more than one more year in college, he’s 21 years old, and now he’s weighing the opportunity cost of giving up 1 year of pro basketball money versus staying 1 final season in college and setting himself up to make more pro money from the get-go.

This is NOT a typical freshman decision. He has much less runway.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Since he was 14. He’s not THAT new to the game — he’s got both hands, solid touch, good footwork, etc. Obviously needs to improve his jumper and get stronger but you can say that for most 18 year old power forward freshman prospects. It just so happens that our freshman prospect is 21.

For all intents and purposes, he just came out of nowhere and shocked everyone with a great junior season. He’ll never play more than one more year in college, he’s 21 years old, and now he’s weighing the opportunity cost of giving up 1 year of pro basketball money versus staying 1 final season in college and setting himself up to make more pro money from the get-go.

This is NOT a typical freshman decision. He has much less runway.
Does this make an assumption on where he'll make more next year?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
IMHO part of the equation - the other part is where does he have a better chance to develop and demonstrate the perimeter shooting skills I expect he is being told he has to develop. Will GT allow him to expand his game to show the perimeter skills - most likely by moving him to the 4 spot or at least adjusting the offense to incorporate more pick and pop if he stays at the 5. He will get some level of NIL compared to G League but he knows he will be featured at GT - just needs to know how. In the G League he will be paid but he is there to develop a specific perimeter shooting skill. Will he get enough PT at the 4 spot to be able to both develop and show the improvement in shooting. He doesn't totally control where he goes so he likely won't be featured, won't be the only player trying to get minutes to show/improve skills and may not get the ball from guards in the spot he needs to show improvement. IOW there is a risk he gets lost in a G League full of players trying to do exactly what he is trying to do.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
IMHO part of the equation - the other part is where does he have a better chance to develop and demonstrate the perimeter shooting skills I expect he is being told he has to develop. Will GT allow him to expand his game to show the perimeter skills - most likely by moving him to the 4 spot or at least adjusting the offense to incorporate more pick and pop if he stays at the 5. He will get some level of NIL compared to G League but he knows he will be featured at GT - just needs to know how. In the G League he will be paid but he is there to develop a specific perimeter shooting skill. Will he get enough PT at the 4 spot to be able to both develop and show the improvement in shooting. He doesn't totally control where he goes so he likely won't be featured, won't be the only player trying to get minutes to show/improve skills and may not get the ball from guards in the spot he needs to show improvement. IOW there is a risk he gets lost in a G League full of players trying to do exactly what he is trying to do.
I don't think he is a sure bet for the G League at this point. It's not just his ability to shoot threes. He looked very uncertain about where to be and what he was supposed to do as a 4 during the Sunday game. Plus, he lacks the size to be a pro 5.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
The thing is, Baye isn’t young. He was 21 for half of this season. Dual was 18 this entire season.
With a birth date of Jan 1, 2003, he was an older freshman. I was 21 when I graduated from Tech after 4 years. Times have changed for sure with the advent of basketball prep academies extending beyond the normal high school years. I can understand why he wants to go pro after his freshman year, rather than stay to graduate and be 24. At 24, he would be two to three years older than the average graduate in the NBA draft. I see his logic in trying now for the draft. He is still a good draft candidate by age and pro longevity if he stays at Tech for a year or more. Coming to the US from Senegal and attending three prep schools also could have resulted in his older start to college, committing to Rutgers and then signing with Tech after Coach Hobbs joined the staff last spring.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
With a birth date of Jan 1, 2003, he was an older freshman. I was 21 when I graduated from Tech after 4 years. Times have changed for sure with the advent of basketball prep academies extending beyond the normal high school years. I can understand why he wants to go pro after his freshman year, rather than stay to graduate and be 24. At 24, he would be two to three years older than the average graduate in the NBA draft. I see his logic in trying now for the draft. He is still a good draft candidate by age and pro longevity if he stays at Tech for a year or more. Coming to the US from Senegal and attending three prep schools also could have resulted in his older start to college, committing to Rutgers and then signing with Tech after Coach Hobbs joined the staff last spring.

I don't think anyone is expecting him to play 4. 2 maybe yes.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I think another part of the equation in this decision is exposure. Stay at Tech and, assuming we have a decent team, he will be featured on national TV for numerous games. Play in the G League and nobody outside of a few NBA scouts will ever see him. There is great value in the announcers and talking heads of the networks gushing about his skills. You are kidding yourself if you don't think that carries some weight with some NBA execs. And once the narrative of his skills and ability get started on these NCAA broadcasts that gets repeated again and again every time we play.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
I think another part of the equation in this decision is exposure. Stay at Tech and, assuming we have a decent team, he will be featured on national TV for numerous games. Play in the G League and nobody outside of a few NBA scouts will ever see him. There is great value in the announcers and talking heads of the networks gushing about his skills. You are kidding yourself if you don't think that carries some weight with some NBA execs. And once the narrative of his skills and ability get started on these NCAA broadcasts that gets repeated again and again every time we play.
I’m not buying the exposure argument. G League is the NBA’s minor league and its talent is showcased to every NBA team. The players in G League have numerous paths to the NBA and 50% of the NBA’s starting rosters for this season had G League experience. Much of the NBA’s coaches, trainers & front office staff come from G League. If the priority is exposure to NBA teams, G League is the obvious answer. TV & sports announcers/analysts are not needed for exposure. There is a daily game by game pipeline from G League team to NBA team. If it’s $, the college NIL package should easily beat G League. If it’s skillsets that need further development, then maybe another year of college ball is the better choice, assuming you are returning to coaches and a team that the player has enough trust in for getting those skills developed to a pro level. Baye Ndongo’s priority is the NBA & CDS seems to be supportive of any decision he makes. Hopefully, that kind of support generates a trust level that might influence BN’s decision in favor of returning. And if so, maybe a NIL package could ice that decision. We will know soon enough.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Yeah probably. But I really hope, for his sake, that how much $ he makes in this next season is far down his criteria. I’m sure he’s factoring in how this decision will result in how much he’ll make long-term. The opportunity cost of giving up 1 year of pro basketball is more than just the difference in college vs pro earnings in that 1 year.

And if I’m a 21 year old basketball prospect, I wanna be practicing with and playing against other pros. Not against 18 year olds who are spending their days in class and their nights at the fraternities.

When I said “more pro money from the get-go” I wasn’t very clear because I meant long-term pro money based on where he starts. Not year 1 pro money (although that’s still obviously a factor).

Last edited:

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah probably. But I really hope, for his sake, that how much $ he makes in this next season is far down his criteria. I’m sure he’s factoring in how this decision will result in how much he’ll make long-term. The opportunity cost of giving up 1 year of pro basketball is more than just the difference in college vs pro earnings in that 1 year.

And if I’m a 21 year old basketball prospect, I wanna be practicing with and playing against other pros. Not against 18 year olds who are spending their days in class and their nights at the fraternities.

When I said “more pro money from the get-go” I wasn’t very clear because I meant long-term pro money based on where he starts. Not year 1 pro money (although that’s still obviously a factor).
Wanna mention he's likely to make more at GT under multiple Pro vs. college scenarios.

Probably not if he's a 1st rounder or he signs a notable contract as a 2nd rounder, but he's probably making more at GT in other scenarios vs. pro money.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I'm fully expect GT fans to have similar conversations about players on our roster every offseason going forward. It's a good thing. Just means we're getting and developing pro quality players.
A lot more fun to have that discussion after an appearance in the NCAA tournament. I hope we can get there.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Wanna mention he's likely to make more at GT under multiple Pro vs. college scenarios.

Probably not if he's a 1st rounder or he signs a notable contract as a 2nd rounder, but he's probably making more at GT in other scenarios vs. pro money.
I suspect he was "discovered" in his home country of Senegal (one of the 12 teams in the NBA's Basketball Africa League (BAL)) and then attended three basketball academies in the US, being highly recruited as an academy "graduate". It appears he wanted to go to an academic oriented US college, so he committed to Rutgers and then to Georgia Tech. He is in the catbird sear on choices for basketball, and is at the top of the list to go be one of the 480 G-League players on 32 teams for development and pay. Since the NBA owns the BAL, they could send him home to Senegal for further development for pay over a 6 month contract. Either would shortcut his education. I do think that is a consideration for him, or at least his parents.

If he comes back to Tech and graduates, he can still go back home with a highly respected degree, worth much throughout his life. I can assume he is in the Scheller School of business, and he could even take the 5 week course Language for Business and Technology: Senegal and go back to Dakar for the summer. There he could get paid legally for NIL as a non-US citizen. At graduation, he would still be young enough to play in the NBA in the US or even the NBA BAL team in Dakar, Senegal. Most of their players are over 25 years old. I think he will be back at Tech and be coached by two experienced NBA coaches who will appreciate him and look out for him like he deserves. He needs a coaching family, after having 4 different coaches in the past four years. He has pros Damen and Bonzi and Carl Hobbs, the reason he came to Tech last year.

He needs to think where he has the best chance be what he wants to be at age 30 and live happily for the rest of his life, where he wants to be doing what he wants to do. He has the opportunity to have both worlds - The NBA and a Georgia Tech degree. I thing that true tech fans and alumni would invest in that path to make Baye a Yellow Jacket for life. I would think so, that being a sound investment in getting back to where we belong in the national spotlight. I know I sound like a grandpa and that is what I would tell my grandson.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck

Obi Toppin was a lottery pick a few years ago. He was at the time a 22 year old college sophomore. Age can provide some limitations but it won't keep a player from being drafted or drafted high if they do what's necessary to make pro teams believe that there's a place for them in the league. And the player can do that without toiling away in the G league for however long.
Herb Jones was 23 when he was drafted.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer

Sure. But it needs to be explicitly stated that he’s not making this life-altering decision based on his earning potential over the next 200 days.

I’m not really sure why we’re zeroing in on GT NIL money in this unique circumstance. I realize NIL is what everyone wants to talk about, but that seems like the easy way out here. This is a basketball decision that changes the trajectory of his career forever. He’s 21. This isn’t like deciding on transferring to another college, where it’s apples to apples and he can just pick the school that’s paying him the most.

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Baye came here because of a coach and not for a GT degree. He's here to play basketball and find his way to pro basketball. We should not be surprised he is looking to get there as fast as possible. For selfish reasons I hope he stays here another year.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
Baye came here because of a coach and not for a GT degree. He's here to play basketball and find his way to pro basketball. We should not be surprised he is looking to get there as fast as possible. For selfish reasons I hope he stays here another year.
Well said