2024 Football Portal

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I am simply thinking work-related injuries. If you’re a contractor, it can be written in that you assume that risk. I don’t know of any way for an employer to avoid the risk of on the job injuries.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Looks like pro sports are generally considered independent contractors per this page https://ogletree.com/insights-resou...at-student-athletes-are-university-employees/

Previously, OSHA has evaluated work-related injuries in professional sports based on the threshold issue of whether an employee-employer relationship exists. In the case of many professional athletes, the employment relationship has been seen as an independent contractor relationship, so OSHA would not cover those instances of work-related injuries. However, the NLRB’s position would answer that question differently for OSHA with respect to collegiate sports and find that student-athletes at the country’s private and public institutions are actually employees. By doing so, the NLRB not only opens the door for OSHA to cover collegiate sports, it shoves OSHA through that door.

Presumably the athletic departments would look to mimic that model in any sort of settlement/CBA; I wonder if the CBA part would resolve the NRLB’s issue?

slugboy

Staff member
Can we please keep the focus of this thread on portal entries/updates/commitments? I keep getting notified about this thread, and I check it expecting to see some big news. Instead, it's a discussion about contract law. Please, there are other threads for that!
Need to get the movies thread going. It’s a dry spell for a while

Tired Sleep GIF by Big Brother Australia

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Dabo figured it out a while back. He let's his guys know at the jump if you are not contributing you will not be here long. His biggest problem is his quarterback. He is a knucklehead that is costing them some games instead of making the difference he should be as their leader.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Clemson has the money to recruit top players and to keep them. As one of our player's parents told me last fall, every good player that we have lost to the portal is due to money. His son is one of the few who turned down a lot more money to go to an SEC school because he wanted the Tech degree.

Money talks or the player walks. Clemson has it, and wants more. We don't have money on their level.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Dabo figured it out a while back. He let's his guys know at the jump if you are not contributing you will not be here long. His biggest problem is his quarterback. He is a knucklehead that is costing them some games instead of making the difference he should be as their leader.
So why not try to find an experienced upgrade in the portal?