2024 Football Portal

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I am simply thinking work-related injuries. If you’re a contractor, it can be written in that you assume that risk. I don’t know of any way for an employer to avoid the risk of on the job injuries.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Looks like pro sports are generally considered independent contractors per this page https://ogletree.com/insights-resou...at-student-athletes-are-university-employees/

Previously, OSHA has evaluated work-related injuries in professional sports based on the threshold issue of whether an employee-employer relationship exists. In the case of many professional athletes, the employment relationship has been seen as an independent contractor relationship, so OSHA would not cover those instances of work-related injuries. However, the NLRB’s position would answer that question differently for OSHA with respect to collegiate sports and find that student-athletes at the country’s private and public institutions are actually employees. By doing so, the NLRB not only opens the door for OSHA to cover collegiate sports, it shoves OSHA through that door.

Presumably the athletic departments would look to mimic that model in any sort of settlement/CBA; I wonder if the CBA part would resolve the NRLB’s issue?