Youth football

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
I am sure you will get lots of opinions, but I can tell you from personal experience to take a look at Dave Cisar's "Winning Youth Football". Last season, I coached my son's 10U team. We had 24 players, 17 playing their first year of football. We went 8-2 during the regular season and got beat in the quarterfinals of the playoffs. Follow the book, practice plans, steps to installing the offense and you will have success. It is a single wing base, with some other variations. You will feel like a mini-CPJ.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I am sure you will get lots of opinions, but I can tell you from personal experience to take a look at Dave Cisar's "Winning Youth Football". Last season, I coached my son's 10U team. We had 24 players, 17 playing their first year of football. We went 8-2 during the regular season and got beat in the quarterfinals of the playoffs. Follow the book, practice plans, steps to installing the offense and you will have success. It is a single wing base, with some other variations. You will feel like a mini-CPJ.

Tremendous book for coaches of young players!

Goatman93

Jolly Good Fellow
Do recommend the book or the DVD?
I am sure you will get lots of opinions, but I can tell you from personal experience to take a look at Dave Cisar's "Winning Youth Football". Last season, I coached my son's 10U team. We had 24 players, 17 playing their first year of football. We went 8-2 during the regular season and got beat in the quarterfinals of the playoffs. Follow the book, practice plans, steps to installing the offense and you will have success. It is a single wing base, with some other variations. You will feel like a mini-CPJ.[/Q

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
I bought both. The book is great, but the DVDs are cool because they show the plays being run in practice and game film. I would go for both. If you decide to go with this system, I would love to hear your results.

Just curious, where are you coaching?

Goatman93

Jolly Good Fellow
I bought both. The book is great, but the DVDs are cool because they show the plays being run in practice and game film. I would go for both. If you decide to go with this system, I would love to hear your results.

Just curious, where are you coaching?
Cleveland, Ga.

turfjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I coached single wing football for several years and its an easy offense to teach and will produce great results. For the past two years I've coached defense and my buddy runs the offense and we run a Wing T. It is more complicated and you need more experienced players to run it properly, but it's also a very good youth offense.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Depends on a lot of things for example: Age group- 12 and under not much passing because (1) can't spend the practice time to learn pass blocking which is the hardest to teach (2) passer can't throw it far enough to get it out of range of even where the defense initially lines up (3) kids naturally learn pass defense in the back yard and will intercept things over the middle too often (4) pass rush will expose your QB to being injured. At the younger age you have to use the CPJ philosophy...throw it when not expected off play action before the pass rush gets to the passer.
Number of players on the team- one goal with youth sports is to play everybody regardless of ability. If you have a lot of players (more than 22) you need to start about 16 players, probably the best 11 on defense and the next 5 on the OL, if you want to win! That means primary blocking at the point of attack comes from much help from the backs which are the best players . A power -I or some version of a two back attack with a tight wing back can get some quality blockers in play. The primary problem with youth football is not coaching the best 11. It is what is the scheme best to utilize the unexperienced and untalented majority.. something most novice coaches do not recognize.
Another issue- most youth coaches are not pro and their experience is very limited. You should only coach what you know so you can't just wing it. Getting cooperative quality help (assistant coaches) may be the biggest challenge.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Has anyone here coached youth football? If so, what offense would you suggest? The boys are 10u.

I recommend the following priorities for coaching youth football:
conditioning and discipline (this is a primary safety issue)
good football fundamental drills (this is a primary safety issue and what you are out there for)
good defensive scheme and coaching emphasis (if you want to win)
an offensive scheme commensurate with your team age and numbers, level of experience and talent, degree of assistant coaching help, what you know, etc.
Most any youth offenses are stopped with good defense, offensive turnovers and penalties, and poor coaching by the opposition. Offense is important but not at the top of the list.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Has anyone here coached youth football? If so, what offense would you suggest? The boys are 10u.
Yep. Coach fundamentals. Keep it simple. Have a simple play book. One trick play and one pass play and about five running plays. Make sure your center and QB will be at every game. We played for the championship every year for 5 years with that formula. Oh yeah - Put your best players at DE and LB.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I coached Youth fball for several yrs-- including a guy who is now starting LB for Ala.
Most of previous advice given is good.
Generally the younger and more inexperienced the guys are , the simpler you have to make it.Also, if your practice time is limited it REALLY has to be simple.
Most u12 s can't pass much so get a simple RUNNING Offense like the single-wing esp if you have a horse at tail/running back.
Put in a FEW offensive plays to each side and run them WELL.(include a reverse for sure to burn the over-zealous defenses as well as a play-action pass)
On DEf ,put your best tacklers at LB.If you want cause havoc, run a "blitz" defense covering all the gaps a lot.
Vital--If you can get good asst coaches and teach the basics of blocking and tackling.