Your thoughts on the transfer system?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
""Fifty-one of 64 NCAA players who appealed for immediate eligibility since that modification saw their waivers approved, per the most recent NCAA data."

247: Tate Martell could break college football's transfer system
Martell isn’t the last notable waiver the college football world will follow this offseason. His is, however, the most important. Martell’s case could serve as a spark for significant legislative change. No matter the circumstances Martell cites in his documentation, the reasoning for his appeal is transparent. He wants to play now. His desire to do so could expose flaws in an entire system. If Martell’s waiver is granted, it’ll inspire a flood of similar cases that could lead to the elimination of the year-in-resident requirement, bringing college football one step closer to quasi-free agency.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
""Fifty-one of 64 NCAA players who appealed for immediate eligibility since that modification saw their waivers approved, per the most recent NCAA data."

247: Tate Martell could break college football's transfer system

The NCAA should make this simple so they don’t spend all of their time in court. No waivers. Period. If you transfer, you sit for a year. Period. Personally, I don’t like the idea of transfers but I really dislike the way this waiver situation is ripe for manipulation. This is turning college ball into semipro football with a free agency market, basically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
It would lead to players who expected to play and maybe weren't good enough or didn't get what they wanted to simply leave. I think it would make life incredible difficult on the staffs and especially planning for the upcoming seasons.

I think it feeds into the mentality that I should get what I want, when I want. And I'm not sure that is the healthiest mentality :)

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
You put the power of decision making into the hands of lawyers this is what happens. Either enforce the 1 year rule with no exceptions or don't. Right now, you just get a bunch of made up BS excuses culminating in lawyers getting paid. It isn't worth the NCAA's time or money to fight any of these cases.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
It's a tough situation. On one hand, players generally have little control and this grants them a bit of that. If a coach leaves or they are stuck in a system where they are not a good fit or won't advance regardless of effort, then they should feel free to transfer without penalty if football is a priority to them. Football free-agency is in the interest of helping the athletes, not necessarily the programs. Think of Vad Lee. He wasn't working out as an option QB and years later we found out that he was depressed during his time on campus, often keeping to himself in his room and avoiding others. He should have been free to transfer to Duke and be closer to home and in a better environment with a chance to play immediately. Tech wasn't for him.

On the other hand, the schools do put a financial investment into the players in the form of scholarships, nutrition, housing, etc., so players transferring freely basically takes the investment you put into a player's development and gives it to some other school to benefit on. And football, more than any other sport, is very position-based with little flexibility. It's not like tennis or golf where you can just recruit the best players you can and then place them anywhere in your lineup. Players coming and going as they please can really destroy roster management and the idea of a "depth player" will pretty much cease to exist. The consequence of having to lose a year of eligibility was always about protecting the programs, as well as preventing players from making shortsighted decisions. I kind of like the waiver system for strong cases, but it falls apart when waivers are provided for weak reasons (like it is now). Perhaps you remove waivers entirely and say that transfers can only play 6 games + post-season. Seems like a compromise.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If I remember correctly: Several years ago there were "hardship" waivers. If you had a parent who became sick and you transferred close to home to help take care of them you could get a waiver. Then it changed to a need to prove "egregious" behavior by the school.(I believe with the idea that nobody would be able to) When it appeared that players from Ole Miss were actually going to put a lot of Ole Miss and NCAA dirt in the public to actually prove egregious behavior, the rules were very quickly changed to what they are now.

I think it goes to much more than just what he players can or can't do. The NCAA professes that players commit to the school and not the coach. The coaches do not recruit that way. The coaches recruit with relationships and with proclamations that the coaching staff's NFL connections, system, or training will get the players to the NFL. If the NCAA wants the players to be committed to a school, then they can and should enforce standards of recruiting that ensure the coaches recruit in that manner. Either the NCAA should treat players like they are students and attending school for academic reasons, or they should treat the players like they are employees. At the moment, they treat athletes as students when it is in the best interest of the NCAA. Then they treat athletes as employees when it is in the best interest of the NCAA.

Deleted member 2897

OK I made my NCAA jokes. Those never get old, and they deserve them.

But to be serious, kids get promised the moon, things change, what they want changes. If you're a regular student and you realize a school is not for you, you can transfer and nobody cares. Part of me thinks we don't and shouldn't 'own' these kids and if they want to transfer because they had a bad day, honestly who should care? I think anybody who might get hurt the most would likely be the big factory schools. So let them hurt. They are also typically the ones cutting people, overpromising, and so on. Maybe having no restrictions to transfer would force coaching staffs to be more honest and do more due diligence on kids before they accept commitments. I don't know. I tend to always come down on personal freedom over anything else.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
OK I made my NCAA jokes. Those never get old, and they deserve them.

But to be serious, kids get promised the moon, things change, what they want changes. If you're a regular student and you realize a school is not for you, you can transfer and nobody cares. Part of me thinks we don't and shouldn't 'own' these kids and if they want to transfer because they had a bad day, honestly who should care? I think anybody who might get hurt the most would likely be the big factory schools. So let them hurt. They are also typically the ones cutting people, overpromising, and so on. Maybe having no restrictions to transfer would force coaching staffs to be more honest and do more due diligence on kids before they accept commitments. I don't know. I tend to always come down on personal freedom over anything else.
I'm not refuting your point...just want to add...

To my knowledge there are no rules that prevent a football player from transferring to another school if the original school is not a good fit. While I did not title this thread appropriately to support this point, the intent of this thread is to discuss immediate eligibility to play football, not transfer schools.

I think folks conflate the football point of view with academics. Again, not refuting, just making sure that's clear to everyone.

Deleted member 2897

I'm not refuting your point...just want to add...

To my knowledge there are no rules that prevent a football player from transferring to another school if the original school is not a good fit. While I did not title this thread appropriately to support this point, the intent of this thread is to discuss immediate eligibility to play football, not transfer schools.

I think folks conflate the football point of view with academics. Again, not refuting, just making sure that's clear to everyone.

Its okay to disagree with me. Hell, my wife does every day. :D Also, it wouldn't be so easy to refute me if I didn't say so many stupid things.

OK back to the topic, yes sorry I wasn't clear and muddied the water between academics and sports. But I feel sports, being student-athletes, should be part and parcel. So when I say they should all be able to transfer, that includes (in my opinion) eligibility to play sports. They should all be STUDENT athletes and not professional athletes under contract or owned by anybody. That's my personal opinion and I do recognize there are flaws in such a view.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
All I know is, whenever I hear someone has entered the "transfer portal", I think of them like this ...

evl.gif

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Its okay to disagree with me. Hell, my wife does every day. :D Also, it wouldn't be so easy to refute me if I didn't say so many stupid things.

OK back to the topic, yes sorry I wasn't clear and muddied the water between academics and sports. But I feel sports, being student-athletes, should be part and parcel. So when I say they should all be able to transfer, that includes (in my opinion) eligibility to play sports. They should all be STUDENT athletes and not professional athletes under contract or owned by anybody. That's my personal opinion and I do recognize there are flaws in such a view.
Yep... and still, I promise I wasn't disagreeing with you. I agree with your intended point to a large extent.

There are obvious issues with the current system, and the root cause is spelled N-C-A-A.

Take Justin Fields for example. I don't know for a fact what card he played to be granted immediate eligibility (please note I said fact, let's not discuss what many believe happened), but I find it interesting that his sister is an incoming freshman to the uGA softball team next year. With what justification in the current rules does this make sense?

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I like it. It's not fair to a student if he chooses a school and they change coaches, scheme, or flat out recruit someone "better" that gets to play because of a star rating system (yes this happens).

I believe every player should get 1 transfer with no restrictions. After that it would be only a downgrade to fcs schools

SiliconJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
The original purpose of making a player sit out a year is still valid though. It wasn't to keep players from transferring laterally or down, it was to keep players from transferring up. Without any restrictions, when smaller programs find their diamonds, after they've shown their talents for a year, the big programs will come sniffing around essentially recruiting them to transfer.