Your thoughts on instant replay?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'm hard line against instant replay of any type, in all sports.

Of course there are merits of having it, but I'm against it for 2 reasons.

First, it takes away the flow of the game. The reviews take too long. Players rest, coaches draw up plays and the emotion is generally taken away from the crowd due to the length of the review. This to me is the #1 argument against replay, and I'm totally in this camp.

Second, I enjoy controversy. I don't care if the calls are wrong. This is probably selfish but I don't care. The refs are doing their best, just like the athletes on the court. Everyone needs to suck it up and deal with the consequences. Controversy makes sports great whether replay-related or not e.g., DeflateGate, Moretti's finger on the ball, Jasper Sanks, every fumble we've lost in Athens after forward momentum is stopped for 12 seconds. I dislike robots or review taking the place of the human error because human error is fun in a sports setting.

Where do you stand, in basketball or otherwise? What would you change about replay in CBB?

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Last night was a strange one. They technically got that out of bounds call correct (as it hit the Texas Tech guy's pinky), but I feel like they still somehow got it wrong. Not only did we have to watch the out of bounds tip preceded by a foul on UVA that wasn't called, but that out of bounds call is one that goes against the defensive team for 38 minutes every single time without exception, so I sort of hate that super-slow mo replay essentially creates a different "rule" for the last two minutes.

Again, it was technically the right call, it just felt wrong.

Deleted member 2897

RE: "unreviewable play" ... yup that's the dumbest phrase ever.

I'm still chapped about one time where we ran a play, no penalty was called, no coach called for any review, it was just some veer play that went for 15 yards. The game was put on hold while they reviewed the play (I guess someone up in the booth buzzed the refs), and then they come back and say the pitch was a forward pass and it was beyond the line of scrimmage. I mean, what even made them think to go review that? It was just a random play. Refs to me ruin every sport, and if we're going to review all their calls and (a) still miss the call a material amount of the time, and/or (b) never hold them accountable for egregious mistakes, then what is the point.

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Last night was a strange one. They technically got that out of bounds call correct (as it hit the Texas Tech guy's pinky), but I feel like they still somehow got it wrong. Not only did we have to watch the out of bounds tip preceded by a foul on UVA that wasn't called, but that out of bounds call is one that goes against the defensive team for 38 minutes every single time without exception, so I sort of hate that super-slow mo replay essentially creates a different "rule" for the last two minutes.

This summarizes my thoughts exactly. They may have gotten it technically right, but it went against 120 years of basketball precedent. A defender swiping the ball out of dribbler's hand and it landing directly out of bounds has always resulted in the dribbler's team retaining possession.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

yep, they didn't call that OBVIOUS foul on Guy but then overturned the other play--HUGE difference
--great that replay showed the aubie guy's foul for sure vs va

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

This is really really well said and not something I thought about.

Realistically, I'm guessing the ball is often but not always last touched by the offensive player's fingertip on many "swipe up's" or "sideways swipes" by a defender. What are the refs going to do the other 38 minutes - guess? And if we acknowledge they're guessing, the refs might have a 20% correct call rate the first 38 minutes of a game, but at least they get it right during the last 2... is that really helpful? Does the rule need to change? Etc.

There's almost no human way to see last night's situation clearly in real-time and it'll go unaddressed for 95% of a game. A ref has to guess. Maybe that situation is rare since I don't recall seeing it before last night. But last night could have set a precedent.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I have mixed views. I don't like it for basketball, can ruin flow of the game as stated. And consequences of a bad call are not so horrific, except in possible intentional fouls. Baseball is slow moving game and I think reviews have their place with coaches challenges and quick reviews don't really affect the flow of the game in my opinion. Football, I understand the need but the time it takes for a review is way too long. More troublesome for me in football is all the TV commercials which absolutely kill the flow of the game for me. It really pisses me off to see big TV money control the game clock, much more than play reviews.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk