Your First GT QB

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Tevin may be the most underrated quarterback in Tech history. He made excellent reads and put up good numbers in spite of not having the stars at running back and receiver that Nesbit had. And then there were all those dropped passes and a defense that had trouble holding a lead.

He was also in a QB rotation as a senior

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The Goose and Tevin Washington might have something to say about that. I loved Joshua but I'm afraid Tevin is not given enough credit. If you check pretty closely, Tevin had better stats in every metric but, I believe, in yards/carry he was about 0.1 yards per carry less. He may not be remembered as fondly because he didn't have as many wins. Our defense during Tevin's years was not nearly as strong as in Joshua's day.

If we had a good defense during the Tevin years, GT fans would remember him differently. He led one of CPJ's most efficient offenses at GT, but our defense was swinging door those years.

BTW, talk about a guy that maxed out everything he had. If any you saw him play in person, no way he belonged on the P5 level from a physical talent standpoint. He probably had the weakest arm in all of Division 1 football, had average speed and quickness, and was just an average looking dude all around. I use to think there was something wrong with his shoulder because his passes were just so weak coming off his hands. One thing he had, was the perfect processor between his ears to run CPJ's offense. CPJ actually pushed him to move to AB, but Tevin stuck at QB and no one could beat him out from the day he was named our starter. CPJ flat out said in an interview they tried to find someone better for GT at QB but no one could beat him out.

Also, during the whole Vad Lee situation, Tevin never complained or disrupted the team. Dude just did his job and closed out his career by getting CPJ his first bowl win at GT...a win that ended a LONG bowl losing streak.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
So, I had started a thread within a thread about everyone’s first Tech game and I noticed a few Billy Lothridge mentions.

For another thread, how about your first GT QB when you started following Tech and what was your favorite memory/play/game?

all I have to say is: The Goose.
its insane that I remember him when I was so young. I grew up with Reggie and I will always have his back. He loves Tech. Of course - Calvin’s NC State catch

what say you?
Stan Gann

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
The Goose and Tevin Washington might have something to say about that. I loved Joshua but I'm afraid Tevin is not given enough credit. If you check pretty closely, Tevin had better stats in every metric but, I believe, in yards/carry he was about 0.1 yards per carry less. He may not be remembered as fondly because he didn't have as many wins. Our defense during Tevin's years was not nearly as strong as in Joshua's day.
Justin Thomas was miles ahead of Tevin. Tevin was definitely a really good QB and fairly underrated, but I put JeT, Nesbitt, and Goose all ahead of him.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
If we had a good defense during the Tevin years, GT fans would remember him differently. He led one of CPJ's most efficient offenses at GT, but our defense was swinging door those years.

BTW, talk about a guy that maxed out everything he had. If any you saw him play in person, no way he belonged on the P5 level from a physical talent standpoint. He probably had the weakest arm in all of Division 1 football, had average speed and quickness, and was just an average looking dude all around. I use to think there was something wrong with his shoulder because his passes were just so weak coming off his hands. One thing he had, was the perfect processor between his ears to run CPJ's offense. CPJ actually pushed him to move to AB, but Tevin stuck at QB and no one could beat him out from the day he was named our starter. CPJ flat out said in an interview they tried to find someone better for GT at QB but no one could beat him out.

Also, during the whole Vad Lee situation, Tevin never complained or disrupted the team. Dude just did his job and closed out his career by getting CPJ his first bowl win at GT...a win that ended a LONG bowl losing streak.
Lol yes, that's kinda how I remember Tevin. Couldn't throw at all, and not very fast or shifty. How could he have been any good? IIRC he was a maestro of the option and was great at getting the ball where it needed to be, no matter how it got there.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Justin Thomas was miles ahead of Tevin. Tevin was definitely a really good QB and fairly underrated, but I put JeT, Nesbitt, and Goose all ahead of him.

Surprise! Surprise! Statistically, as a passer, Tevin had a better career completion percentage (50.7% to 48.7%), yards per attempt (9.6 Y/A to 8.9 Y/A) and passer efficiency rating (142.8 to 141.7) than Justin did. Surely, JT was the better runner but statistically JT was not miles ahead of TW as a quarterback.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Surprise! Surprise! Statistically, as a passer, Tevin had a better career completion percentage (50.7% to 48.7%), yards per attempt (9.6 Y/A to 8.9 Y/A) and passer efficiency rating (142.8 to 141.7) than Justin did. Surely, JT was the better runner but statistically JT was not miles ahead of TW as a quarterback.
Another case of statistics telling lies. The eyeball test would tell you that Tevin couldn't throw the ball 30 yards downfield which was a huge part of the TO offense. JT, meanwhile, could throw a rope 50 yards which kept the safeties from being able to overplay the run.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
Tevin was 21 TDs, 15 INTs for his career and JeT was 40 TDs 18 INTs. I know TD/INT is not the end-all be-all for quarterback play, but JeT essentially had double TDs that Tevin did with a similar number in INTs and I think the disparity is pretty significant. JeT accounted for about 4,800 yards in the air while Tevin accounted for 3,312. Both guys fell victim to awful defenses but JeT was the orchestrator of the best offense in the country in 2014 and the threat of the pass was a huge part of that.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

He did a lot of little things very well. Such as drawing the DL offsides on short yardage.

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
We are. Still my favorite Tech player. Remember the Billy the Kid taco restaurant?
Always felt he should have won the Heisman & not Stay back. He could run , pass, kick FG & PATS, play safety & punt.

wait. Billy the Kid taco restaurant?! I need to know more 🤣

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Another case of statistics telling lies. The eyeball test would tell you that Tevin couldn't throw the ball 30 yards downfield which was a huge part of the TO offense. JT, meanwhile, could throw a rope 50 yards which kept the safeties from being able to overplay the run.

....And I was just waiting for the old "eyeball" or "smell" test parameters which, of course, are much more "objective" than key career statistics!

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
We are. Still my favorite Tech player. Remember the Billy the Kid taco restaurant?
Always felt he should have won the Heisman & not Stay back. He could run , pass, kick FG & PATS, play safety & punt.
Eastern writer (anti-Southern) bias on the heels of Pete Dawkins winning at USMA about 5 years earlier...... Similar but opposite reaction in by eastern writers in '71 when Pat Sullivan beat out Ed Marinaro of Cornell.... 28 years later Wisconsin's Ron Dayne gets a push by Midwestern & PAC-8/10/11/12 writers over Joe Ham.

Always lots of gnashing of teeth, sometimes with very good reasons, others not so much.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

JT's career stats are really screwed by that 2015 year where it was him vs everyone on his own but considering overall JT is at 40 Tds 18 in and Washington is at 21 to 15 (most of JT's ints in 2015 and atleast 5 of those are desperation ones when he had no other choice but to throw them.) In truth neither QB were helped much by some aspect of the teams they played on For JT is was the injury hell that was 2015 for Tevin it was Groh's inability to field a competent defense during game time.

Last edited:

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
....And I was just waiting for the old "eyeball" or "smell" test parameters which, of course, are much more "objective" than key career statistics!
If you watched more than 2 minutes of TW and JT play and you somehow came to the conclusion that TW was better, then I've got nothing for you.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Eastern writer (anti-Southern) bias on the heels of Pete Dawkins winning at USMA about 5 years earlier...... Similar but opposite reaction in by eastern writers in '71 when Pat Sullivan beat out Ed Marinaro of Cornell.... 28 years later Wisconsin's Ron Dayne gets a push by Midwestern & PAC-8/10/11/12 writers over Joe Ham.

Always lots of gnashing of teeth, sometimes with very good reasons, others not so much.
I remember Bear Bryant's statement promoting the Auburn QB while denigrating the Ivy League running yardage. "I could take my Alabama OL and I could run through his schedule untouched!"