Your First GT QB

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
98-2000 was my first stretch with season tickets and remembering really well. So Joe Ham for sure. At the time, I got spoiled by the 3 IAR against uga and was delusionally thinking we'd be about 50/50 with them going forward. Oops.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Eddie McAshan,,,,, As a freshman in1970, he was the man!! Great athlete, & great potential,,,
Does anyone remember Charlie Dudish, recruited about the same time? One of the top recruited QBs in the nation. Was going to be a superstar QB, but could never get it going?
Remember Dudish and Jolley from Macon.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Charlie also had the pressure of the original helicopter dad, Andy, who was at every practice & gave Charlie his own critiques.

Our FR OC was Jimmy Brown, the former GT RB & Punt Returner out of Chattanooga, whose main job was to keep Andy Dudish away from our head FR coach, Jerry Glanville.

Andy evidently also wasn't shy about showing up in Carson's office & giving him critiques about how to better use Charlie.
No wonder. That explains a lot. It was quite the show with the Atlanta papers giving almost daily recaps of Charlie's escapades. Seems like he joined the army or almost did...among other things. I am very sorry he had to go through all that at such a young age. It would leave its mark on anyone.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Definitely underrated. Played 91 with plantar fasciatis. Most people can't WALK with that.
His style of play was way ahead of its time.
You are not kidding. My last year of teaching before I retired I had that thing. My feet would swell up at the end of the day, so that I had to take my shoes off to drive home. My podiatrist said I had the worst case he had ever seen from years of playing tennis on hard courts and running on paved streets. When your feet hurt it feels like everything is hurting. Hats off to Shawn toughing it out.

Captn_65

GT Athlete
Billy Lothridge! Man I am old.
Stan Gann.....It was a gray, overcast, cold November day and I was a high school sophomore invited to Atlanta for my very first recruiting trip. Stan ran an option up the east sideline heading north and gained about thirty yards. Sellout crowd went crazy. Me, being an option quarterback, loved it.
Lothridge replaced Stan the next year. He never complained and remained a team player throughout his remaining career.
Bright Lights...Big City............I knew then that Georgia Tech was for me.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Stan Gann.....It was a gray, overcast, cold November day and I was a high school sophomore invited to Atlanta for my very first recruiting trip. Stan ran an option up the east sideline heading north and gained about thirty yards. Sellout crowd went crazy. Me, being an option quarterback, loved it.
Lothridge replaced Stan the next year. He never complained and remained a team player throughout his remaining career.
Not to sidetrack but given your time frame on the team I have to share that my first Tech game as a kid, other than previous Tech/Ga games on Thanksgiving, was the Gator Bowl game against Texas Tech. Would love to see a film of that game today. What a glorious 31-21 victory that was!

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m feeling old. I watched games earlier but would say that Kim King stands out for me. And just like the past 50 years, his backup was a team favorite! Larry Good didn’t see the field very often but was loved.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
My first quarterback to follow was Ricky Davis, a scholarship QB in the late '60's. I don't remember if he ever saw the field, but he used to get his brother and me into games for free, and that's what turned me into a GT fan. I've been a sidewalk fan (and later a season ticket holder) ever since, so I am indebted to him.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Stan "the Man" Gann. Seems like I remember Gann, playing "quick draw" with live ammo, shot himself in the foot.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
My first quarterback to follow was Ricky Davis, a scholarship QB in the late '60's. I don't remember if he ever saw the field, but he used to get his brother and me into games for free, and that's what turned me into a GT fan. I've been a sidewalk fan (and later a season ticket holder) ever since, so I am indebted to him.
Wow! Haven't heard that name in a looooooonnnnngggg time.... Carson turned him into a WR & you're right, I think he got a Longevity Letter. Out of Forsyth & Mary Persons HS under HoFer Dan Pitts.