Your Choice for OC

Who would you like HCBK to hire as our Offense Coordinator?

• Tashard Choice (RB Coach - Texas)

• Danny Enos (OC/QB Coach - Maryland)

• Josh Gattis (OC/WR Coach - Miami)

• George Godsey (TE Coach - Baltimore Ravens)

• Chris Weinke (QB Coach - Georgia Tech)

• Other

• Willie Korn (OC/QB Coach - Coastal Carolina)

Results are only viewable after voting.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
First time posting here. I’m a huge Penn State fan and GT is my second love and I have to say, Godsey would be a great OC for GT if BK could get him. Brent Key was the right man for the job I believe he’s going to do great things at GT. Just gotta get the right coach and GT will win!
PSU is who I grew up rooting for. We Are!

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Another name to throw in. Currently QB coach at VT. Local ties with GA St. Could be OC or Co-OC with Weinke.
IMG_20221202_133225.jpg

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Has Weinke been a successful OC anywhere? I am not opposed to this and if the rumors are true about him calling the last two games he did a pretty good job but I don't know if he has the experience to really build an offense and make in game adjustments. I think we need to have an experienced and proven play caller. Could be a G5 OC or a former HC that was a solid OC.

Yeah florida state. Weinke was calling plays on the field for his junior and senior year, its what made them so damn strong. Also he was an Offensive Analyst for alabama in 2017 which is the game planning part of being an OC. At FSU his time included their undefeated season. (Richt was the OC but the system he used was basically weinke would call plays unless he saw something. The FSU offense was very straight forward 1990s prostyle then so audibles were damn near necessary anyway)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I have a sneaky suspicion, due primarily to finances, our "new" OC is already on staff and his name rhymes with Wis Chreinke.

May back into a good decision tho 'cause methinks he did a good job and carries a good pedigree overall.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I have a sneaky suspicion, due primarily to finances, our "new" OC is already on staff and his name rhymes with Wis Chreinke.

May back into a good decision tho 'cause methinks he did a good job and carries a good pedigree overall.
I’m starting to lean this way. Not sure if stated but he did spend a year in Bama with HCBK and ADJB in 2017 as an analyst. I don’t know that what I saw from 10 this year was great but I felt other QB’s were prepared and looked good in the position outside of Gibson holding the ball against UVA. Calling the games against UNC and UGA on top of Pyron looking good this year has me leaning this way. Don’t know much about what he did at UT. Had to deal with a **** show of admin and coaching issues there.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah florida state. Weinke was calling plays on the field for his junior and senior year, its what made them so damn strong. Also he was an Offensive Analyst for alabama in 2017 which is the game planning part of being an OC. At FSU his time included their undefeated season. (Richt was the OC but the system he used was basically weinke would call plays unless he saw something. The FSU offense was very straight forward 1990s prostyle then so audibles were damn near necessary anyway)
This is what I keep considering. On one hand, dude has nave held the title of an OC. OTOH, as a former championship QB, you generally don’t get to that point without studying the game and understanding how to pick apart what the defense is throwing at you. The rest of his background - and the rumors that he called the plays the last 2 games of the year - seems to offer more support that he could get the job done.

That being said, I like a lot of the possibilities out there, and am anxious to see who we wind up with.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Another question that comes to mind - timing.

I don’t generally follow the coaching carousel with other schools, so I have no real idea how the timing works. If we’re seriously setting our sights on someone like Riley as our first choice, and waiting on him to say no before we pursue others - what does that do to our timeline? If TCU wins today, coaching in the CFP is a lot different than going to a bowl. I’m not sure Riley would jump ship before that is over - which could have us waiting until January.

For that reason (& the fact that he’s a hot commodity right now), I’m pretty sure we don’t get Riley. But I’d be glad to be surprised.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Riley’s next stop will be a HC job somewhere, it's pretty ridiculous to even bring him up here

Zach Kittley or Brian Ellis would be exciting hires, but I don’t know if realistically we could lure Kittley away from TT or Ellis away from Clay Helton.

I think Weinke is probably going to be the play here, I have no idea if he is ready or what kind of offense he prefers but I have to trust Key on this decision, his career as HC is riding on who he picks.

Do we expect Key to continue to coach OL while HC?

slugboy

Staff member
Riley’s next stop will be a HC job somewhere, it's pretty ridiculous to even bring him up here

Zach Kittley or Brian Ellis would be exciting hires, but I don’t know if realistically we could lure Kittley away from TT or Ellis away from Clay Helton.

I think Weinke is probably going to be the play here, I have no idea if he is ready or what kind of offense he prefers but I have to trust Key on this decision, his career as HC is riding on who he picks.

Do we expect Key to continue to coach OL while HC?
I would be amazed if we don’t have a full time OL coach. I think we should and probably will hire an OC first and then we’ll hire OL, RB, and WR coaches. That gives us one more coach, and leaves open how we handle the TE position.

Techastrophe

Georgia Tech Fan
I would rather have a good-but-not-deluxe OC and put the balance of money into #1 top flight special teams staff and #2 a deeper bench of position coaches, strength and conditioning, analysts, media people.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If Weinke came up with the game plans and play calls for the last couple games, I’m okay with him being OC/QBs. Given the way the OL played against georgie, perhaps Nathan Brock should interview for OL coach in this scenario.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
So, is our next OC coaching today?

Presumably, that's the case since the name hasn't been announced.

Or are we conducting a thorough, nationwide search with dozens of candidates considered before naming Chris Weinke? ;)

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Anyone hearing any OC names?
I haven’t heard so much as a peep. I would guess that means either we are promoting Weinke, promoting Chaney (though I find that unlikely), talking with someone whose season hasn’t ended yet, or still haven’t made any offers. I would think that if someone like Bryan Ellis, for example, was offered and turned us down, we’d be hearing about it so that he could leverage a raise at his current job.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
This is what I keep considering. On one hand, dude has nave held the title of an OC. OTOH, as a former championship QB, you generally don’t get to that point without studying the game and understanding how to pick apart what the defense is throwing at you. The rest of his background - and the rumors that he called the plays the last 2 games of the year - seems to offer more support that he could get the job done.

That being said, I like a lot of the possibilities out there, and am anxious to see who we wind up with.
If Key thinks he can do it, I’m fine with experimenting for a year. Get a good OL coach, some good recruits, and see what happens. I think next year is 5-7 wins tops.

slugboy

Staff member
I haven’t heard so much as a peep. I would guess that means either we are promoting Weinke, promoting Chaney (though I find that unlikely), talking with someone whose season hasn’t ended yet, or still haven’t made any offers. I would think that if someone like Bryan Ellis, for example, was offered and turned us down, we’d be hearing about it so that he could leverage a raise at his current job.
If promoting Weinke was our first choice, then why not say so and start hiring position coaches?