Your Choice for OC

Who would you like HCBK to hire as our Offense Coordinator?

• Tashard Choice (RB Coach - Texas)

• Danny Enos (OC/QB Coach - Maryland)

• Josh Gattis (OC/WR Coach - Miami)

• George Godsey (TE Coach - Baltimore Ravens)

• Chris Weinke (QB Coach - Georgia Tech)

• Other

• Willie Korn (OC/QB Coach - Coastal Carolina)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Another decision to watch is Dontae Smith. He has a COVID year of eligibility to use, does he stay or does he move on - that also has huge implications for the offense as if he decides not to return we end up losing over 80% of our rushing and 5 of our top 6 receivers.

Smith walked for Senior Day, which is generally an indication that they aren't coming back.

From the AJC:

"Before the game, 16 Tech players are expected take part in Senior Day ceremonies. They are safety Derrik Allen, defensive back Kenny Bennett, wide receiver Malachi Carter, defensive tackle T.K. Chimedza, linebacker Ayinde Eley, running back Hassan Hall, tight end PeJé Harris, wide receiver E.J. Jenkins, safety Jaylon King, offensive lineman Cade Kootsouradis, cornerback Myles Sims, running back Dontae Smith, linebacker Charlie Thomas, cornerback Zamari Walton and defensive ends Keion White and Sylvain Yondjouen."

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
My preference is either someone with a track record of improving offenses where they go or an up & coming brilliant offensive mind. Which leads me to:

1) Dan Enos: Took what was an 100+ OFEI team the 2 years prior to him joining to an average ~42 OFEI team the last 2 years .... at Maryland. We should be a better opportunity for him.

2) OC/WR - Brennan Marion (play caller) and Co-OC/RB - Tashard Choice. Raid that UT coaching staff. I have a lot of respect for Brennan and think he will be one of the next great offensive minds in football. And both these guys can recruit their asses off.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Who ever CBK wants as his number one choice. He is the one that needs to decide what we're trying to do over all. I saw where 'bama uses a system where the OC has to build his system into the language that 'bama uses rather than using his own system language, I hope CBK is able to do just that. Defenses catch up with offenses and you need to change periodically and I'm guessing we will change over the years that CBK is here. How is that for optimism that CBK will work out long term?

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Are you guys feeling confident enough in our QB situation to recruit a bunch of OL and WR and just light it up with a wide-open passing game? Sending out five receivers on every play?

Now, wouldn't THAT be change in Tech's offensive identity? ;)

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Chadwell's situation is really weird. He can obviously coach, and he's beaten P5 programs with his system...BUT still no P5 programs really want him. The option stigma is real with Chadwell. People keep blaming it on his defensive staff, but Mike Leach teams have never been known for great defenses, he's weird as heck, but P5 programs keep hiring him.

Some P5 program is going to give him a shot one day and they'll look like geniuses.

I get that. But my question is, how would Chadwell’s right-hand man on offense for the past decade somehow skirt the option stigma that Chadwell himself can’t?

Korn has never called plays outside of the very same offense that’s being stigmatized. So I’m confused about posters thinking Korn is a hot P5 OC name when even his HC can’t get a P5 job because of the very same offensive stigma.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I get that. But my question is, how would Chadwell’s right-hand man on offense for the past decade somehow skirt the option stigma that Chadwell himself can’t?

Korn has never called plays outside of the very same offense that’s being stigmatized. So I’m confused about posters thinking Korn is a hot P5 OC name when even his HC can’t get a P5 job because of the very same offensive stigma.
Supposedly Chadwell can't get a P5 job because he wants to bring his DC Staggs with him, not because his offense has a stigma.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Supposedly Chadwell can't get a P5 job because he wants to bring his DC Staggs with him, not because his offense has a stigma.
I’m sure we don’t know what’s actually true, but @Techster (who I was responding to) seems to think differentl

Regardless, I don’t think a 33 year old Willy Korn who’s been a co-OC for approximately 30 months is going to leave Chadwell at this point in his career.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If it's true that Weinke called plays the last two games. I'd be up for keeping him, if CBK believes in him.

Otherwise, I want someone with a strong offensive philosophy, who has called plays before at some level. CBK isn't an offensive guru. He needs someone who can plan and call a game, independently, IMHO. Don't have a particular name. But I wouldn't want eg Korn, since iiuc Chadwell calls the plays.

I would really love to bring back Tashard Choice. He was the best coach on TFG's staff, IMHO. But I don't know if he's ready or even has the aptitude to be a play caller. Make him assistant or Co-OC. 'Run game coordinator', AHC, recruiting coordinator... Whatever title and salary level is enough of a step to bring him back. Let him assist with the game planning and play calling and if he's worthy of promoting in a couple years, great!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't want anybody who hasn't been an OC before.
The offense is going to likely be pretty weak to begin with, we don't need to complicate that further by hiring someone who will be learning on the job - we effectively already have that at the HC position.

I think we need someone with at least a few years of OC experience.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't want anybody who hasn't been an OC before.
The offense is going to likely be pretty weak to begin with, we don't need to complicate that further by hiring someone who will be learning on the job - we effectively already have that at the HC position.

I think we need someone with at least a few years of OC experience.

This. This isn't time to get cute with "Bring Corey Dennis back as OC, and Choice as Co-OC run game coordinator" type thinking. Let's get a good up and coming OC. There are plenty out there, and some we probably haven't even heard of yet.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Key should ask a few DC's he knows and find out who were the good ones they had trouble defending. Marc Whipple might be ready to come back east but he also is QB coach. What about Joe Brady.

SunBum

Georgia Tech Fan
I wonder if Brent Key already has someone in mind who would likely be willing to come to Tech. For all of Chip Long’s shortcomings, it doesn’t make sense to fire him and eat the buyout so quickly unless Key is confident that he can find an upgrade.
My thoughts also. Hoping Key at least had an idea of who he could get (an upgrade that would be willing to come) before deciding to flush the $850k!

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think targeting younger coaches, who may have been given HC position too soon. Not saying it will always work, however these coaches are still early in their career and want to redeem themselves. I think Marcus Arryo, Will Healy, or Jake Spavital are good examples. An added plus is they have HC experience to help CBK too.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
One potential candidate who I had forgotten is available is Paul Chryst. Apparently he has a decent bit of experience coaching TEs at P5 and NFL programs, so he could do what Long was supposed to do. He also seems to share CBK’s hard-nosed offensive philosophy. Might he be someone we could bring in?

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Canes want Gattis gone so no to him.

Pass on Godsey. I'd rather not end up hating him. He doesn't seem to be setting the world on fire in the NFL. It seems like he's just hanging on to me and not advancing in his career. No need to hire someone bc he's a legendary player here.

No to Willie Korn. No more option, variations of the option. Give it a rest.

Maryland O hasn't been that great this year. No need for a reach like Enos imo. I'm sure he'd be one of the more expensive options.

A Weinke/Choice Co-OC duo would be intriguing with Weinke calling plays and coaching QB's, Choice coaching RB's and basically being the head recruiter.

Same goes for a Weinke/McGee combo but we can't afford both. McGee makes $800k already. Not sure what Choice makes but we may not be able to afford him either.

Bryan Ellis looks like a solid option. Peach County, Georgia boy. Didn't realize till just now it was him that beat my Red Elephants in the 09 AAA championship.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One potential candidate who I had forgotten is available is Paul Chryst. Apparently he has a decent bit of experience coaching TEs at P5 and NFL programs, so he could do what Long was supposed to do. He also seems to share CBK’s hard-nosed offensive philosophy. Might he be someone we could bring in?

Chryst supposedly has a job inside Wisconsin's AA lined up if he wants it, but he's also being attached to the Stanford HFC job.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Where did these names come from? lol Tashard Choice and Godsey? We need to stop with the Tech homerism. We got Key, doesnt mean we need the whole staff to be Tech men

Choice is a little understandable to me as he has been up for position coach awards and is known as a great recruiter and a coach on the rise, nationally. However, he has zero play calling/coordinating experience.

Godsey, on the other hand, has mostly just been a journeyman position coach throughout the NFL. His name wouldn’t even be in the same stratosphere as the job opening if he didn’t play for Tech.