Your Choice for OC

Who would you like HCBK to hire as our Offense Coordinator?

• Tashard Choice (RB Coach - Texas)

• Danny Enos (OC/QB Coach - Maryland)

• Josh Gattis (OC/WR Coach - Miami)

• George Godsey (TE Coach - Baltimore Ravens)

• Chris Weinke (QB Coach - Georgia Tech)

• Other

• Willie Korn (OC/QB Coach - Coastal Carolina)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Well, the HC thread was so popular, I thought I'd try a similar thread for the open OC position.

So, who's your horse?

You can vote for your top two choices and change your votes at any time.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Not sure who is available. I haven’t paid attention to many teams this year outside of Tech.

Weinke im pretty neutral about. If he did in fact call the last two games, I’d say it was decent. But also a risk on him never being an OC before.

I’ll trust King Key though

slugboy

Staff member
Here are the top 50 offenses, adjusted for strength of schedule. Lincoln Riley (HC) is at the top. Heupel is next. Oregon's OC was in HC discussions, and so was TCU's. Georgia Southern is there at 40--Brian Ellis' name has been mentioned. Ole Miss was two notched behind Bama with a good bit less talent. Andy Kotelnicki is the OC at Kansas (don't see him making a lateral move, but who knows?). Collin Klein is a Kansas State alum and their OC (unlikely to move imo). Garrett Riley was SMU's OC last year and TCU's OC this year (Casey Woods is SMU's OC this year).

If we can get Brian Ellis, he wouldn't surprise me as OC. Otherwise, Willy Korn at Coastal or Jeff Grimes from Baylor, if we're looking for established OCs. Or we'd look at a position coach.

Rk
Team
1​
USC​
2​
Tennessee​
3​
Ohio State​
4​
Washington​
5​
Georgia​
6​
Oregon​
7​
UCLA​
8​
Florida State​
9​
Michigan​
10​
TCU​
11​
Alabama​
12​
LSU​
13​
Ole Miss​
14​
Kansas​
15​
Texas​
16​
Kansas State​
17​
Utah​
18​
North Carolina​
19​
Wake Forest​
20​
SMU​
21​
Florida​
22​
BYU​
23​
Arkansas​
24​
Penn State​
25​
Baylor​
26​
UCF​
27​
Oklahoma​
28​
Houston​
29​
UTSA​
30​
Duke​
31​
Minnesota​
32​
East Carolina​
33​
Arizona​
34​
Appalachian State​
35​
Tulane​
36​
West Virginia​
37​
Maryland​
38​
Mississippi State​
39​
Purdue​
40​
Georgia Southern​
41​
Ohio​
42​
Oregon State​
43​
Notre Dame​
44​
Coastal Carolina​
45​
Texas Tech​
46​
Clemson​
47​
Michigan State​
48​
Arizona State​
49​
Syracuse​
50​
South Carolina​

MySouthernJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Here are the top 50 offenses, adjusted for strength of schedule. Lincoln Riley (HC) is at the top. Heupel is next. Oregon's OC was in HC discussions, and so was TCU's. Georgia Southern is there at 40--Brian Ellis' name has been mentioned. Ole Miss was two notched behind Bama with a good bit less talent. Andy Kotelnicki is the OC at Kansas (don't see him making a lateral move, but who knows?). Collin Klein is a Kansas State alum and their OC (unlikely to move imo). Garrett Riley was SMU's OC last year and TCU's OC this year (Casey Woods is SMU's OC this year).

If we can get Brian Ellis, he wouldn't surprise me as OC. Otherwise, Willy Korn at Coastal or Jeff Grimes from Baylor, if we're looking for established OCs. Or we'd look at a position coach.

Rk
Team
1​
USC​
2​
Tennessee​
3​
Ohio State​
4​
Washington​
5​
Georgia​
6​
Oregon​
7​
UCLA​
8​
Florida State​
9​
Michigan​
10​
TCU​
11​
Alabama​
12​
LSU​
13​
Ole Miss​
14​
Kansas​
15​
Texas​
16​
Kansas State​
17​
Utah​
18​
North Carolina​
19​
Wake Forest​
20​
SMU​
21​
Florida​
22​
BYU​
23​
Arkansas​
24​
Penn State​
25​
Baylor​
26​
UCF​
27​
Oklahoma​
28​
Houston​
29​
UTSA​
30​
Duke​
31​
Minnesota​
32​
East Carolina​
33​
Arizona​
34​
Appalachian State​
35​
Tulane​
36​
West Virginia​
37​
Maryland​
38​
Mississippi State​
39​
Purdue​
40​
Georgia Southern​
41​
Ohio​
42​
Oregon State​
43​
Notre Dame​
44​
Coastal Carolina​
45​
Texas Tech​
46​
Clemson​
47​
Michigan State​
48​
Arizona State​
49​
Syracuse​
50​
South Carolina​
Stay. Away. From. Ga. Southern!!!!!

My vote is for Dell Mcgee.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I would be good with Ellis, Enos,Korn, Whipple or Anae out of the names that we can afford and maybe entice to come here.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I like Bryan Ellis. If we’re keeping Weinke coaching the QBs, I like the idea of Ellis as OC/WRs. Unless we’re cutting someone loose from the defensive staff, we’ll need an OC who can double as a position coach too.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I voted other. I would like an older coach that can make adjustments on the fly, runs a multiple offense, and a student of the game. Tailors his offense to fit the QB and the talent surrounding him.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I’m surprised people think Willy Korn would leave Chadwell, a coach who clearly is on his way to a bigger job, for another OC gig at an average program. Korn and Chadwell have been together nearly 15 years. That ain’t changing for the GT OC job.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I’m surprised people think Willy Korn would leave Chadwell, a coach who clearly is on his way to a bigger job, for another OC gig at an average program. Korn and Chadwell have been together nearly 15 years. That ain’t changing for the GT OC job.

Chadwell's situation is really weird. He can obviously coach, and he's beaten P5 programs with his system...BUT still no P5 programs really want him. The option stigma is real with Chadwell. People keep blaming it on his defensive staff, but Mike Leach teams have never been known for great defenses, he's weird as heck, but P5 programs keep hiring him.

Some P5 program is going to give him a shot one day and they'll look like geniuses.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't expect us to hire any sort of 'name' OC.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to hire McGee as OC, he has never held that position anywhere else.
If you are hiring McGee it is to be a recruiting asst, not a coordinator imo. That would be an extremely risky hire.

Whoever comes in has their hands full next year.
GT is losing the majority of its production at both RB and WR.

If McCollum does not return then GT loses 4 of its top 5 receivers.
It also loses 2 of its top 3 rushers.

Another decision to watch is Dontae Smith. He has a COVID year of eligibility to use, does he stay or does he move on - that also has huge implications for the offense as if he decides not to return we end up losing over 80% of our rushing and 5 of our top 6 receivers.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Bryan Ellis is my vote. I know Key has reached out to Godsey and having a former NFL OC would be a big selling point to recruits. Tons of options here, hard to imagine being disappointed. Anything will be better than basing our offense around our weakest position group.