Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Stop with Gruden, TECH is NOT hiring him.
his reputation is mud (deservedly) and who knows what other text messages or skeletons he has in his closet.

Deion has gotten 5 stars to JSU, so why not ATL ?
Because recruiting alone doesn't help rebuild things. Getting a 5 star at a HBCU is literally like having Michael Jordan for your kids high school basketball team. The difference in talent is so great there, that Deion can likely out athlete everyone on the schedule without much coaching. Once you move into the P5 world, the difference in talent (by simply recruiting well) becomes much less and there has to be good coaching and player development. The player development/coaching part is the question mark with Deion. It's impossible for him to answer that question where he is now...

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Pittman was hired because he was known as the best OL coach and one of the best recruiters in the SEC. That wasn't a real mystery. He adds significant value in multiple ways. He is also involved in offensive game planning. Dabo is the interesting case that people like to bring up. He was one of the best recruiters in the country and a fine WR coach but was still a major risk. Many within the program didn't want him in that position. Im not sure that chasing the next Dabo is a sound hiring strategy though, nor do I think Key is even at the level Dabo was.

As for the results. I do think the team got a boost from finally getting out from under the Collins black cloud that kept lingering. I also think Key made a good move changing kickers which has played a big part in improvement. But if we are being honest, we have also played mediocre teams since the change happened. Collins was fired after losing to teams ranked 16th, 19th, and 21st in FEI. Since then we have only played one team in the top 50 and that team utterly destroyed us. It's hard for me to gauge our teams improvement comparing games against Ole Miss and Clemson to games against UVA and VT.
One way that's stood out to me is within a week of CGC and ADTS being fired, Key had the team focused and immediately playing hard against what was expected to be a really good Pitt team. Along the way, he delegated Boogie to fix the #1 glaring issue on the team in the same less-than-a-week timeframe. Every game since then, we have not had the same breakdowns we used to have under CGC, and they've been playing hard the whole game. UVA is maybe the only strong negative against Key so far in that they left Gibson out there to pretend to be a QB for 75% of the game and didn't try anyone else.
That said, I'd be happy to see Key get the job or happy to see someone new. I'm confident that Cabrera and Batt are focused on making the most stable hire they can, which will hopefully lead to at least some improvement going into next year.

Deleted member 6494

the only thing about Fritz would be his age at 62 how much longer would be coach. Malzahn I don't know much about him
Stech81, your age statistic is a good one. If a coach is young but great, hire him. If he is moderately aged and a good or still great coach hire him. When he begins to be older, 55+, his mind and the rest of his physical aspects are all slowly dying; he cannot think as fast or react as quickly to be a great coach. His only plus is his gained wisdom, but he must use that to hire good younger OCs, DCs, and assistants and let them make game decisions.

I am now 87 years of age; been there and done that as far as aging goes. Dang, where is my cane?

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Stech81, your age statistic is a good one. If a coach is young but great, hire him. If he is moderately aged and a good or still great coach hire him. When he begins to be older, 55+, his mind and the rest of his physical aspects are all slowly dying; he cannot think as fast or react as quickly to be a great coach. His only plus is his gained wisdom, but he must use that to hire good younger OCs, DCs, and assistants and let them make game decisions.

I am now 87 years of age; been there and done that as far as aging goes. Dang, where is my cane?
Whaaa? I'm hoping you are being facetious here. I'd suggest that a couple of centuries of successful US Military experience has shown that to be a myth. And, to be biologically accurate, the body starts to 'die' sometime in the mid-twenties.

Deleted member 6494

Whaaa? I'm hoping you are being facetious here. I'd suggest that a couple of centuries of successful US Military experience has shown that to be a myth. And, to be biologically accurate, the body starts to 'die' sometime in the mid-twenties.
All the cells of the body are replaced sporadically according to their function. As you age, the process of replacing cells in the body slows for all organs and parts of the body. The efficiency of all organs starts to decline around late forties and early fifties. This detereotion finally causes an organ to quit functioning and then you die.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
All the cells of the body are replaced sporadically according to their function. As you age, the process of replacing cells in the body slows for all organs and parts of the body. The efficiency of all organs starts to decline around late forties and early fifties. This detereotion finally causes an organ to quit functioning and then you die.
Sure, I was just referring to athletic peak more than anything. And depending on your college days your liver might already be 70 years old. Besides, I hate biology. That's why I decided to not go to med school after GT. That and the money was too good in industry and I was tired of being poor ;)

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I personally believe that Kiffin will eventually implode again, at Ole Miss, or AU, or Bama-wherever he winds up longterm the wheels will fall off again. And to whoever said if GT could get him he would be the best coach we hired in decades- CPJ beat his tail when he was coaching at SoCal, what does that say?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I personally believe that Kiffin will eventually implode again, at Ole Miss, or AU, or Bama-wherever he winds up longterm the wheels will fall off again. And to whoever said if GT could get him he would be the best coach we hired in decades- CPJ beat his tail when he was coaching at SoCal, what does that say?

Do you really want to take the logic you just employed to the extreme?

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Says about the same thing as saying Rick Stockstill beat CPJ so he's a better coach. A stupid one game sample size that is total complete nonsense when comparing coaches.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. The worst case scenario basically involves what you are saying. For example, lets say the following happens

We hire Key, keep the defensive staff, and bring in a new offensive staff. However, the offense still struggles as it has the past 4 years, and the defense regresses to the mean with respects to turnovers and has some key losses to being back to closer to what it was the past 3 years (and what we have seen against better teams this year at times), and we go back to being a 3-9 team. Then we are the laughing stock who decided to fire a coach and AD mid year just to keep most of the staff and still get terrible results.

I really do not understand the love for Key. Pitt was a great game. Beyond the change at kickers, which I'm not sure we wouldn't have done anyways as it wasn't like the old kicker was entrenched as a multi year starter, I doubt it had much to do with anything he did during the 4 days after Collins got fired and was more just to general relief of not being under the cloud of a coach about to be fired. Since then we've had a mediocre showing against Duke and then three bad performances coming off a bye week. You would expect that we'd continue to improve as more time has gone away but we haven't.

Trying to say the wheels are going to come off for Key next year is pure conjecture. Just like saying Key will win 8-10 games next season is pure conjecture. We can say that about ANY candidate we hire. There are zero guarantees for anyone. Scott Frost was as about the most perfect hire for any situation as there has been...and he completely crapped the bed at Nebraska.

What's the point here? The point is to WIN. Period. This isn't a beauty contest. We already had a coach that tried to make this a beauty contest and he just got fired. I've said REPEATEDLY that to even be considered for the job Key would need to go 6-2 in his 8 game "tryout". That means he would have proven himself in a crucible of salvaging a disaster of a season, at one of the hardest jobs in P5. He literally would have won at GT, and under extreme circumstances. Isn't that the point? Who can you say that about with other candidates? Not. A. Single. One. None of them...even the popular Jamey Chadwell, the seasoned Bill O'Brien, or even popular Deion Sanders. Key will be the only one that can say he won at GT and have an actual record of doing that.

You keep bringing up "Key was part of the problem" without acknowledging the fact that Collins was meddling with how coaches were coaching, and our coaches had one arm tied behind their backs. There's a reason why players kept tweeting out that coaches fired last year were "scape goats". Coaches have said that Collins wouldn't allow the staff to do certain things (practice 1v1s, not always practicing full speed, not preparing backups to play in case of emergency scenarios - see Pyron, etc). If you can't acknowledge that our coaches were being limited, than you probably have never worked a day in your life. AT some point, regardless of how good you are at your job, if your boss limits the tools you're allowed to use, you're not going to be successful. The fact that Key has been able to win as many games in 5 attempts than Geoff Collins has won each of the last 3 full seasons tells us Key can coach...despite however much you're trying to diminish that.

The worst case scenario isn't keeping Key. The worst case scenario would be paying a boat load of money for a new coach and staff and watching them fail. That would be TWO coaches failing back to back and sending GT further into debt.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Says about the same thing as saying Rick Stockstill beat CPJ so he's a better coach. A stupid one game sample size that is total complete nonsense when comparing coaches.
So you think Kiffin would be the best coach at Tech in decades? Do you think he’s is a better coach than PJ? Give them equal talent to play each other who wins? Kiffin is a complete douchbag Who has failed upward his whole life shouldn’t that factor into the equation?

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Thank god most of y’all aren’t the AD.

Sure let’s hire retreads, guys who got fired for being losers, and dudes about to get fired.

Idk who my pick is but it damn sure isn’t most of who y’all want.

Smartest guys in the room, no common sense.
I think we should narrow our search down to someone who: has never run a triple option offense ( or any derivative there of), never been fired, never been on GT staff before, not currently a G5 coach, not a coordinator who doesn’t have 100% support from the fans, never been a NFL coach (‘cause they can’t relate to college players), aren’t currently position coaches, haven’t proven to be elite recruiters, or has ever been associated with Temple. Should be easy to find a qualified candidate.

Deleted member 6494

Unless Saban retires very soon, my guess is Kiffin will never become the Alabama coach. This is the best year for both of them.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we should narrow our search down to someone who: has never run a triple option offense ( or any derivative there of), never been fired, never been on GT staff before, not currently a G5 coach, not a coordinator who doesn’t have 100% support from the fans, never been a NFL coach (‘cause they can’t relate to college players), aren’t currently position coaches, haven’t proven to be elite recruiters, or has ever been associated with Temple. Should be easy to find a qualified candidate.
you forgot they cant be associated with ECU either

CEB

Helluva Engineer
You had better add a couple requirements in the affirmative, because I have never and I am not currently doing any of those things. I believe I am a perfect fit!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Trying to say the wheels are going to come off for Key next year is pure conjecture. Just like saying Key will win 8-10 games next season is pure conjecture. We can say that about ANY candidate we hire. There are zero guarantees for anyone. Scott Frost was as about the most perfect hire for any situation as there has been...and he completely crapped the bed at Nebraska.

I said the worst case scenario. The worst case with any coach is they fail spectacularly. But Key failing spectacularly after being a part of the staff that just did that exact thing just for him to be promoted from within brings an aspect that doesn't exist with any other name hired. It would be an absolute embarrassment and make the president look like a fool in a way no other hire would. Hire any other coach and they go 3-9 next year and the story will be they need time to fix the mess inherited. Key does that and it's a completely different story. At least in the case of the other options it looks like we are even trying to be serious. Promoting from within the clown show we had says the exact opposite.

Sorry, if anyone looks at how we've played since the bye week and thinks Key is the guy we need I really don't know what to say. But I guess if you can convince yourself that Collins alone was the sole reason why the past 3 years happened and that the number 2 guys played no part because of what you read on a message board then you can convince yourself of anything.

Deleted member 6494

I chose Key. I think Key could recruit at a top 30 level rankings wise and be consistent at it, kinda what we hoped out of Collins. Key would provide you a lot of ties to the Bama coaching tree that just extends everywhere across the country. That would go a long way in terms of filling out a potential staff. Key is showing he can win at Tech, rally the players around 1 goal which is playing hard until the clock hits zero. Key fills a lot of the boxes Tech is looking for.
If Batt even considers Key, which I think he won't, then I would personally have no confidence in his ability to analyze situations at Tech or anywhere else. Personally, I don't think Key is even being considered. If he were to win out, he might be extended an interview but only as a "Thank You for your efforts".

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
As I've said previously, now that he is getting several callouts in this thread, Willie Fritz was my choice 4 years ago. He can flat out coach and is flexible with the players he has on hand to develop systems that work - he took a TO team at GaSo and played with what he had (and won) though that was not his traditional scheme. He's now turned around a woeful Tulane program and won at every other stop. That said, at 62, he is on the older side of things, but maybe he could right the ship and then have a coach in waiting once things are going better in say 5 years to hand off to. I would think that's about all he would likely be staying (but you never know). He would have been a great hire four years ago with some extra time left in the legs but maybe not now. I still like Key this time around. Just like his style and feel of the team. No, its not the homerun/big splash, but feels like we can build around him. Definitely understand the anti-Key folks as well, though.