You know the feeling.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I feel glad someone actually wanted the job because for a while it seemed nobody did! If he can do the things he said in the presser we should be in a good position in 2-3 years from now. Sell the city to the players, get former players involved, keep the instate talent, and lastly play a type of offense players want to play in.

LibertyTurns

Banned
At least he's got the balls to come in here. Let's see what the man can do before we pass judgment.

Recommend we all separate the hire from the process. Obviously our process left a lot to be desired. It makes no difference what was factual. Our AD's actions, specifically botching the management of the media from the moment CBG got fired, directly resulted in GT's leadership being portrayed as a bunch of incompetent & desperate fools. Many phenomenal products have failed or have been significantly damaged at launch because of failed advertising. Our AD did CJP no favors because now many in the fanbase GT needs support from view him with a jaundiced eye not to mention the recruits we covet to return our program back to where we'd like it to be. The competition & media will use this against us until CJP delivers.

Let's hope this all works out well because if it doesn't it will cumulatively be 2 decades of GT basketball residing at the bottom of the ACC looking up by the time we right the ship.

Go Jackets!

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
At least he's got the balls to come in here. Let's see what the man can do before we pass judgment.

Recommend we all separate the hire from the process. Obviously our process left a lot to be desired. It makes no difference what was factual. Our AD's actions, specifically botching the management of the media from the moment CBG got fired, directly resulted in GT's leadership being portrayed as a bunch of incompetent & desperate fools. Many phenomenal products have failed or have been significantly damaged at launch because of failed advertising. Our AD did CJP no favors because now many in the fanbase GT needs support from view him with a jaundiced eye not to mention the recruits we covet to return our program back to where we'd like it to be. The competition & media will use this against us until CJP delivers.

Let's hope this all works out well because if it doesn't it will cumulatively be 2 decades of GT basketball residing at the bottom of the ACC looking up by the time we right the ship.

Go Jackets!
Agree 100%. Could be the best fit ever or no real advantage. No one knows, so lets go with a positive attitude and support, instead of the normal Tech wailing " all is lost" attitude!!!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!

Could you expound on what you see as MBob "botching the management of the media"? When we are making a hire such as this I am not concerned with our AD coddling the media, fans, or internet bloggers.

I do not see the AD as being responsible for hurt feelings of others being incorrect about their Twitter assumptions.

I see his job as hiring the person best filling the requirements. And I see a lot of folks (not saying you) as being upset by GT not doing something absurd like bringing in MP. We, along with others, could not get Capel. Drew, to me, does not have the guts / desire to fight in the ACC. And he is not worth the $.

And I still believe MBob as being hamstrung $ wise by his boss.

Again, not saying you are falling into some of the above slots. Just really am curious if the thinking is MBob was suppose to be sending emails to fans, or holding press conferences, or what? I would disagree as I see any AD as doing their duty by going quietly behind the scenes.

Thx

LibertyTurns

Banned
The AD is responsible for every aspect of our athletic programs. Coaching, finances, conduct, developing and maintaining fanbases, fundraising, etc. He should not have allowed the national narrative surrounding our basketball team's coaching situation to devolve into a state where the consensus media coverage was critical, demeaning, etc. If you believe this board is a microcosm of our fanbase (you can argue most on here are more involved than your average bear), just look at how the process has divided the masses. There was a void of coherent communication coming from our AD. The little there was I found contradictory, i.e. I've been looking since January yet results showed he had nothing "locked & loaded". Maybe he got played & just lacks savvy, but it really makes no difference. It's his responsibility. It damaged our program and is going to require a plan to recover. The fact that you appear to dismiss the reputation of our program as being important tells me you wouldn't care if a recruit passed on us because his handlers or our competitors were whispering in his ear that our program was is shambles or in decline and he decided to pass on GT. I say it cost us some recruits (impossible to prove, just my opinion). I say we have a hard enough time recruiting we don't need self-induced obstacles. You would also dismiss as being relevant loss of donations by supporters because of lack of confidence in our programs being managed effectively & dimished pride in our brand. I say it cost us much needed $$$. Again, we don't need self-induced obstacles. The AD is an executive running a multi-million dollar enterprise. This isn't a kid's game and done just for the love of it, it's business. His outward conduct during this transition projected incompetence, disorganization & a wide variety of other negative attributes. In my opinion GT would be better served if he adopted a different attitude with respect to managing the media and our branding and moved away from his reclusive approach. That may have worked better during the days of Dodd, but we're not in the middle of the 20th century any more. In my old line of work, my assessment would have been "loss of confidence in the ability to command" and he would have been sacked given what I can deduce from how this played out. Maybe that's not fair, but that's my cut. It pains me that in my lifetime we've been unable to project GT as one of the elite destinations given all our gifts- location, academics, history, etc.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Could you expound on what you see as MBob "botching the management of the media"? When we are making a hire such as this I am not concerned with our AD coddling the media, fans, or internet bloggers.

I do not see the AD as being responsible for hurt feelings of others being incorrect about their Twitter assumptions.

I see his job as hiring the person best filling the requirements. And I see a lot of folks (not saying you) as being upset by GT not doing something absurd like bringing in MP. We, along with others, could not get Capel. Drew, to me, does not have the guts / desire to fight in the ACC. And he is not worth the $.

And I still believe MBob as being hamstrung $ wise by his boss.

Again, not saying you are falling into some of the above slots. Just really am curious if the thinking is MBob was suppose to be sending emails to fans, or holding press conferences, or what? I would disagree as I see any AD as doing their duty by going quietly behind the scenes.

Thx

Just for my info, where are you seeing people upset that we didn't hire Price?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Just for my info, where are you seeing people upset that we didn't hire Price?

"I see ...... People everywhere." Really just basing that on how many were foaming at the mouth that we needed to hire MP before he was ever coaching.

But, also, I have read many seem to have changed their tune.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
The AD is responsible for every aspect of our athletic programs. Coaching, finances, conduct, developing and maintaining fanbases, fundraising, etc. He should not have allowed the national narrative surrounding our basketball team's coaching situation to devolve into a state where the consensus media coverage was critical, demeaning, etc. If you believe this board is a microcosm of our fanbase (you can argue most on here are more involved than your average bear), just look at how the process has divided the masses. There was a void of coherent communication coming from our AD. The little there was I found contradictory, i.e. I've been looking since January yet results showed he had nothing "locked & loaded". Maybe he got played & just lacks savvy, but it really makes no difference. It's his responsibility. It damaged our program and is going to require a plan to recover. The fact that you appear to dismiss the reputation of our program as being important tells me you wouldn't care if a recruit passed on us because his handlers or our competitors were whispering in his ear that our program was is shambles or in decline and he decided to pass on GT. I say it cost us some recruits (impossible to prove, just my opinion). I say we have a hard enough time recruiting we don't need self-induced obstacles. You would also dismiss as being relevant loss of donations by supporters because of lack of confidence in our programs being managed effectively & dimished pride in our brand. I say it cost us much needed $$$. Again, we don't need self-induced obstacles. The AD is an executive running a multi-million dollar enterprise. This isn't a kid's game and done just for the love of it, it's business. His outward conduct during this transition projected incompetence, disorganization & a wide variety of other negative attributes. In my opinion GT would be better served if he adopted a different attitude with respect to managing the media and our branding and moved away from his reclusive approach. That may have worked better during the days of Dodd, but we're not in the middle of the 20th century any more. In my old line of work, my assessment would have been "loss of confidence in the ability to command" and he would have been sacked given what I can deduce from how this played out. Maybe that's not fair, but that's my cut. It pains me that in my lifetime we've been unable to project GT as one of the elite destinations given all our gifts- location, academics, history, etc.

Well, I think recruits here, there and everywhere get tons of things whispered in their ears regardless of any AD. We do it, they do it, and it will always be done. About virtually anything. I am willing to venture a guess we will start getting better recruits. I also know we will not get everyone we want. This is news or different?

"Dismiss as being relevant loss of donations .." Do not know as if I ever said or implied anything about donations. Have, and I believe rightly so, said that MBob is hamstrung by peterson. Maybe or maybe not. I have not seen, or paid attention to, any AD searching for a coach that is not somewhat quite about the proceedings. I just do not see his job as, at that time, to be answering questions or making statements due to rumors, hurt feelings, or media feelings of self entitlement. Do not know if you think an AD should. If so not saying you are wrong, only that, if so, it could have a stifling impact as well. Anyway, if some do not want to donate any longer because of reasons you see as epic - they are free to do that. 2 of the 6 guys I play golf with are going to give more and start buying at least 1 extra season ticket based on the presser. So what - they are free to do that.

If the media was critical of this process / hire I would say Capel also turned down ASU and appears to be in line for his dream job. Martin? Glad we did not get him, but if he was the man, MBob was not given $ to hire him. If Drew was it then, again, MBob not given $ to pull the trigger. I think Drew is scared of coaching vs ACC day in / out.

And, yes, MBob is responsible for a lot. But his boss is the head of the GTAA.

Thanks for time in responding.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
I want in principle to completely agree with @LibertyTurns . In today's environment of constantly exploding brush fires on social media, national and local commentators, experts (self-styled and otherwise), and folks throwing random garbage out and social media giving it attention, credence and legs, if MBob did that he'd spend 18 hours a day on it and zero time on a revenue sport coaching search.

A media assistant for him, or more 'on-top-of-it-ness' on the part of our SI, PR and media liaison folks might really help. He can be a recluse if that's how he works best, if he has someone to make some good statements at the right places and times, if and as needed.

LibertyTurns

Banned
SilasSon,
You're right recruits are always being told things, but isn't it different when negative comments are being validated by supposedly neutral parties?

Also, I put words in your mouth. You're correct that some that stopped donating will now resume. Maybe it's a draw? Maybe more tickets are purchased and this ends up being revenue positive.

Bottom line is the only way out of our mess is for CJP to win and win soon. A protracted improvement would be painful/ paralyzing, going sideways would wear down what's left of the fan base or God forbid a regression would kill us.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A media assistant for him, or more 'on-top-of-it-ness' on the part of our SI, PR and media liaison folks might really help. He can be a recluse if that's how he works best, if he has someone to make some good statements at the right places and times, if and as needed.

I think your idea has strong merit. With that being said, it bothers me to have a guy in such a key role who is (or appears to be) oblivious.Remember, in certain areas perception IS reality whether we like that or not. PR and media relations are absolutely critical (maybe in top 2-3 of responsibilities imo) in his role. You don't have to like it or do it yourself as you suggest but you have to find a way through organization structure or delegation to see that it gets done. Suggests a lack of real executive acumen imo. Ironically enough, if you can do this very well, it "glosses over" to a small degree other weaknesses in your skill set.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I would be surprised if MBob talked to a single prospective coach while Gregory was still the coach. Terribly unethical! See Auburn and Petrino a few years ago while Tuberville was still the coach.

The first conversation with a prospective hire was, I trust, after Gregory was told he would not be retained as coach. If not, then GT is just another sleazebag and can fire MBob and replace him with Petrino.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I would be surprised if MBob talked to a single prospective coach while Gregory was still the coach. Terribly unethical! See Auburn and Petrino a few years ago while Tuberville was still the coach.

The first conversation with a prospective hire was, I trust, after Gregory was told he would not be retained as coach. If not, then GT is just another sleazebag and can fire MBob and replace him with Petrino.

Of course. However, I would be surprised if a search firm had not made contact with several coaches to gauge interest before Gregory was fired.