Yomanser's Recruiting Roundup - 2/6/19 First Edition Analysis

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ll also add that this forum really comes to life during the season. Tons of great insight and X’s and O’s talk. Rivals is great, just different as said above.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I just hope he lives up to his billing however many stars it is. The more stars, the higher the billing. He better be the next JeT or he’s a bust.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
From my understanding, Yates had a lot things going in his favor regardless of KQ. 2 being:

1) Played elite vs Elite competition

2) New projection: Once and CGC came aboard, Yates projection was for a Spread offense compared to TO. It was a lot easier to see him *** All-ACC there compared to the TO

KQ may have went to bat for him, but him being a 4* may have already been a foregone conclusion

Your number 2 is interesting. My feeling is he was a monster recruit for the CPJ offense and a solid recruit for CGC offense.

crut

Helluva Engineer
From my understanding, Yates had a lot things going in his favor regardless of KQ. 2 being:

1) Played elite vs Elite competition

2) New projection: Once and CGC came aboard, Yates projection was for a Spread offense compared to TO. It was a lot easier to see him *** All-ACC there compared to the TO

KQ may have went to bat for him, but him being a 4* may have already been a foregone conclusion
A few quotes from KQ on Yates going to 4 stars:

What type of arguments do you normally make when trying to raise someones star rating? Is it just over all play, raw talent, or does blue blood offers hold weight as well?
The only one I can make is from personal observations, that is why I go to a lot of camps, I'll be at 5 Rivals camps and will have staff at one other one this spring plus other stuff. With Yates his performance in those camps and other times I saw him was superior to comparable players who had 4-star status. Yates biggest knock was his height which is why he didn't end up at a glamour type program IMO.

How did Yates fall 39 spots on 24/7 after winning the state championship? Right after rivals gave him his 4th star?

Go ask Rusty. I have no idea who does their rankings. I spent three months pushing for Yates' fourth star based on what I saw in-person BEFORE the state championships, that game just iced the cake.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Also flawed though. But better than no info at all. The Sooner flip we got as an example. I think true offers from programs say a lot more about a recruit’s potential than rivals stars for the most part.

Then there is the problem of determining which are true offers so.....
Agree 100%, determining which offers are for show and which offers are commitable is one of the toughest things to do this time of year. You will see a lot of guys that claim offers now, not be including in the group that gets the “Offical Offer” edits sent out from schools.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I thought Yates leading his HS to a title in the highest classification vs. teams stacked with P5 got him the 4*

Anyone who saw him play in that final game left with no doubt. He willed his team to victory against a team with some would say superior talent. He is the kind of guy that makes everyone around him better by the sheer force of his personality. Height? JT5 was probably shorter, Joe Ham was definitely shorter and Pat Sullivan was only 5'11 and won a Heisman Trophy. "I may not be 6'2'' tall but I play like I am" Joe Hamilton circa 2000.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Anyone who saw him play in that final game left with no doubt. He willed his team to victory against a team with some would say superior talent. He is the kind of guy that makes everyone around him better by the sheer force of his personality. Height? JT5 was probably shorter, Joe Ham was definitely shorter and Pat Sullivan was only 5'11 and won a Heisman Trophy. "I may not be 6'2'' tall but I play like I am" Joe Hamilton circa 2000.

The most recent Heisman Trophy winner and potential number 1 pick in the NFL draft is 5'10" 1/8, 207# at the combine (probably more like 190-200 playing weight, maybe a touch less than that). Russell Wilson is just a shade under 5'11" and 205. Jordan Yates height is no problem for me. I can't wait to see this kid play!!!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The most recent Heisman Trophy winner and potential number 1 pick in the NFL draft is 5'10" 1/8, 207# at the combine (probably more like 190-200 playing weight, maybe a touch less than that). Russell Wilson is just a shade under 5'11" and 205. Jordan Yates height is no problem for me. I can't wait to see this kid play!!!

I forgot about Russell Wilson. Great player.