Yomanser's Recruiting Roundup - 2/6/19 First Edition Analysis

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Here's an interesting tidbit: CGC was able to sign a 4 star QB (Yates), RB (Griffin), WR (transfer Ezzard).

The last time that happened was 2007 (Nesbitt, Dwyer, Donley). CGC and Key played a part in that class as well.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Here's an interesting tidbit: CGC was able to sign a 4 star QB (Yates), RB (Griffin), WR (transfer Ezzard).

The last time that happened was 2007 (Nesbitt, Dwyer, Donley). CGC and Key played a part in that class as well.
I know some folks will say CPJ was primarily responsible for Yates, and that may be true. However, Yates is an example of a player that CGC wants, a highly-ranked player who was sold on Georgia Tech as a school. It is impossible to know for certain, but I feel that Yates would have been recruited by the current staff even if they had been here for years, regardless of his height, because of our history with Joe Hamilton and him being in the College Football Hall of Fame and all.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I know some folks will say CPJ was primarily responsible for Yates, and that may be true. However, Yates is an example of a player that CGC wants, a highly-ranked player who was sold on Georgia Tech as a school. It is impossible to know for certain, but I feel that Yates would have been recruited by the current staff even if they had been here for years, regardless of his height, because of our history with Joe Hamilton and him being in the College Football Hall of Fame and all.

CGC definitely wanted Yates. That's why he wanted to be visible during Yates's championship game and let Jordan know GT coaches were there supporting him.

I won't get into whether or not CGC would have recruited Yates as it diminishes CPJ and CGC. All I will say is CPJ did a good job of recruiting Yates when Yates wasn't that known of a quantity, keeping him interested in GT, and making sure CGC was in a good position to close when the staff was transitioning. CGC did a good job of getting the baton across the finish line.

GT is very fortunate to have a QB of the caliber of Jordan Yates.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

Are you stating the skill positions or overall 4-stars?

If overall, are you counting just 4-stars on Rivals, which Yates is? Tech signed three Rivals 4-stars in 2018 (Dingle, King, and Graham) and four in 2017 (Swilling, Swilling, Bonds, and Oliver).

If you're counting composite rankings, 2018 had 2 composite 4-stars and 1 Rivals 4-star; the same as this year without having to count a transfer.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Yates signed as a 3* where we were his only P5 offer. He received his 4th star in mid January after he was signed with us. Not knocking CGC, but CPJ did very well with this particular hidden gem. Yates will thrive in either offense though, so kudos to CGC for keeping after him.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Are you stating the skill positions or overall 4-stars?

If overall, are you counting just 4-stars on Rivals, which Yates is? Tech signed three Rivals 4-stars in 2018 (Dingle, King, and Graham) and four in 2017 (Swilling, Swilling, Bonds, and Oliver).

If you're counting composite rankings, 2018 had 2 composite 4-stars and 1 Rivals 4-star; the same as this year without having to count a transfer.
He was referring to 4 star QB, WR and RB. Not three four stars.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The performance by Yates in the championship game probably convinced Collins that the kid is a player.

One of the things that won me over with Collins was him taking all of our commits without apparent hesitation or reservation. Not every coach would have done so...especially in light of his philosophies on roster balance and ours currently being inconsistent with his preferences.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
This. Say what you want about Cpj and his offense and the type of players he wanted for it, but we got pretty much no offensive 4 star players during his tenure here. TIFWIW

um... we got them at about the same rate we got 4 star players for offense before he was here. The big thing we did was develop some three stars and even 2 stars.

Gotta remember that Bey Bey was not a 4 star when he was recruited. Most of tech's 4 star atheletes were always on defense in the skill positions. that is what made 2007 and 2008 so crazy for defensive recruiting, we got some lineman in those classes ( and a few 2 stars that were nfl caliber in the classes before with guys like vance walker)

GT_EE78

Banned
Thanks Yo , that was great reading. USA today seems to agree giving CGC an A- (tied for second best among the HC's)
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...embed&utm_medium=news&utm_campaign=storylines
I know you meant that as a compliment, but saying USA Today agrees with him is like validating Shakespeare with a limerick.
The linked article ranks the CGC hire relative to the other 26 head coach hirings this offseason. I just threw in the comment as a segue as i was too lazy to read other threads to go find the "most" relevent place to post it.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The linked article ranks the CGC hire relative to the other 26 head coach hirings this offseason. I just threw in the comment as a segue as i was too lazy to read other threads to go find the "most" relevent place to post it.
I vote that we allow laziness on this site. I come on here for fun, not to take depositions and line up star witnesses.

At least you didn't grab a quote from The National Enquirer.