Yellow Jackets 2020 Class

AlaGTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Can't wait to see where some of our current commits end up in ranking after the Fall re-evaluations! I'll be happy if this class ends up in the top 30.

Agreed.

We (including myself) have to keep in mind that CGC & staff ABSOLUTELY know what they are doing with these offers.

If these kids with fewer stars have offers, they are absolutely A-list prospects.

I look for them all to have dominating camp/7on7/Sr seasons and get rankings bumps of some kind. I think a bump from 5.4/5.5 to 5.6/5.7 is possible for several of our commits (like Behrens, Kootsouradis, Watkins, & Stone).

And I still see us in the hunt for some top-250 types (maybe even top-100) between now and December.

It's incredible to think we have a legit chance at a top-25 2020 class... but we do.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Would it be better to go slower w the offers to be sure they are top talent?

Yes in 21 it not in 20.

Now we should round out the class and get ready for toe meets leather.

Now we should start building relationships w 21 prospects - perhaps on wider footprint.

The Buzz created by this early recruiting success ( good talent getting on board quickly) means a lot to the people that matter. It's also free press and brand creation.

Seeing that in the spring game the players can run the offense leaves me with one issue. It's the lack of linemen w experience. It's very bad on defense this year and offense next year.

So for recruiting, I would like to see some ready to go linemen recruited this year as we wrap up this class and definitely some next year.
The coaching by Coleman and Key are our most critical area. They will earn my trust if they make the line our strength on the field. The top qb s and wr are going where the teams control the line of scrimmage.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
I think one of the biggest things to keep in mind along this process is how vastly improved our twitter presence is. We have high end, 4 and 5 star kids, tweeting about GT and being excited about GT. Tell me when we have EVER had this kind of energy, swag, juice, whatever word you want to attach.

The kids are noticing, and it's just a matter of time before some of the elite kids start rolling in. I believe many of the kids we have committed now are fantastic prospects and project well for the future. It's an exciting time.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Before we get all excited about the 247 rankings, take a look at the star ratings. Ugag has 7 commits: 1 5 star and 6 4 stars. Tech has 12 commits: 1 4 star and 11 3 stars. We are ranked ahead purely because we have 5 more commits. (I know I keep saying this, but this kind of giddy reaction is why we should not get all hepped up about "national rankings".)

When we get some more 4 star recruits - and I think we will - it will be time for gloating. Not now, however.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Before we get all excited about the 247 rankings, take a look at the star ratings. Ugag has 7 commits: 1 5 star and 6 4 stars. Tech has 12 commits: 1 4 star and 11 3 stars. We are ranked ahead purely because we have 5 more commits. (I know I keep saying this, but this kind of giddy reaction is why we should not get all hepped up about "national rankings".)

When we get some more 4 star recruits - and I think we will - it will be time for gloating. Not now, however.

IDGAF about timing. With the built-in advantages they have, one could make the argument this should never happen.

I'm not saying we shouldn't out-recruit them, I'm saying the ranking "system" is heavily tilted in their favor.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm not saying we shouldn't out-recruit them, I'm saying the ranking "system" is heavily tilted in their favor.
The "ranking" system is worthless and has been for awhile. Any factory team that processes players is always going to ranked ahead because they will take 25 recruits a year. The average "stars" per class is the only way to keep a sound grip on where any program is doing, imho. Tech is now at 3.08; Ugag at 4.14. We'll do better as the season progresses and their average will decrease as they recruit 3 star players (provided they don't get 3 - 4 5 star types). Let it play out and we'll see.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
The big road block I think we'll face is that since the star system is so arbitrary, Rivals and 247 will be less likely to bump our recruits up to 4* just because of the GT logo next to it. If Alabama got a 3* commit, you know months from now they would be bumped up to a 4* just based on where they are headed.