Yellow Jackets 2020 Class

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
No way Gibbs redshirts. Zero, nada, zilch. Even if he should he won’t because of the signal that would send to other high end recruits. Collins knows this is just the beginning of high end recruits. He’s gotta keep them happy until we become a destination school. Collins plays the recruiting game very well. Year 1 was Griffin. Year 2 was Sims and Gibbs. By year 4 we’ll be rolling and redshirts may be an option.

I agree that with big of a deal as we made (rightfully so) over landing Gibbs, and as big of an impact player as he appears to have the ability to be, I definitely think he gets playing time this year. Especially with the relatively new threat of the transfer portal and it’s impact on players with star potential. Don’t start/get the playing time you want? Enter the transfer portal.

And I honestly think that’s one of the reasons for Coach Collins’ “Above the line” concept as opposed to the more traditional naming of “starters/first string” players. Saying “if you’re above the line, you’ll play in some way” just may very well be a way not segregate/alienate/put off players so much (that aren’t necessarily “starters”) that they still stay around and try to contribute/put forth effort, even situationally, as opposed to not being named a “starter”, and possibly entering the portal. It’s really kind of the same way it’s always been with situational players/specific skill sets, but you don’t have the stigma/knock to someone’s pride of not being named a “starter”.

But yes, I do think Gibbs will have plenty of opportunities to get time. I don’t think we land him like we did, not play him this year, and let all the blue bloods that expressed interest in him even enter his mind again with the transfer portal possibility.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
If we take CGC's word ("competition is king") then Gibbs will earn his playing time in practice or he won't. The bigger question is will the OC get more creative to better utilize our running back talent?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree that with big of a deal as we made (rightfully so) over landing Gibbs, and as big of an impact player as he appears to have the ability to be, I definitely think he gets playing time this year. Especially with the relatively new threat of the transfer portal and it’s impact on players with star potential. Don’t start/get the playing time you want? Enter the transfer portal.

And I honestly think that’s one of the reasons for Coach Collins’ “Above the line” concept as opposed to the more traditional naming of “starters/first string” players. Saying “if you’re above the line, you’ll play in some way” just may very well be a way not segregate/alienate/put off players so much (that aren’t necessarily “starters”) that they still stay around and try to contribute/put forth effort, even situationally, as opposed to not being named a “starter”, and possibly entering the portal. It’s really kind of the same way it’s always been with situational players/specific skill sets, but you don’t have the stigma/knock to someone’s pride of not being named a “starter”.

But yes, I do think Gibbs will have plenty of opportunities to get time. I don’t think we land him like we did, not play him this year, and let all the blue bloods that expressed interest in him even enter his mind again with the transfer portal possibility.

I’d love for Gibbs to redshirt to create space between all 3 backs, but for all the reasons we stated he won’t. The portal always looms. But I see Gibbs being on the field a lot. 4 wide with Brown, McCollum, Ezzard, and Gibbs. That would be speed all over. I’d love to see Camp at TE cause I think he’d be a terror across the middle with LB’s. Griffin is a stud as well. I’d love to see a rotation of Griffin/Gibbs on 1st and 2nd down and use Mason for those 3rd and 2’s. But the OLine is the engine to make any of it work.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
If I were a RB with Sunday potential and as short of shelf life RBs have I would definitely leave for the NFL as soon as I could which i believe is after their scholastic junior year. Don't RS a great RB. Seems like Mark Richt did that somewhere along the way and only got 2 yrs out of, was it Moreno?

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I would agree that hopefully Gibbs shows so well you have to play him. However, Mason is not losing the job to either Gibbs or Griffin. Selfishly it would be nice to have a year gap between Gibbs and Griffin so I would not hate the idea of a redshirt.
Well you say that but you haven't seen the back we are getting in the 2021 class!!!!:) I better let everyone know this is absolutely a joke, before I start a 20 page rant!!!

GTZachary

Jolly Good Fellow
If the Oline is much improved then the speed and agility of Gibbs presents a huge opportunity vs Mason. If the OL is still horrid then Mason’s ability to shed tacklers and pick up yards after contact is of the most value. Griffin should be solid in either scenario. Gibbs can play some out of the slot too.