Year in review. What say you!

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
This may have already been discussed, if so, please remove admins.

Other than the final result, what was the one thing that was the biggest disappointment of the season? What was the biggest surprise from a positive point of view.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For me the biggest disappointment was just simply the sheer number of injuries.

After that I would say the lack of cohesion along the OL and blocking skill position players. There weren't a lot of "clean" plays where reads happened in a normal flow.

Third would be the lack of development along the DL. The lack of sacks, pressures, or negative plays of any kind (without bringing numbers) made the rest of the defense look very average. When you watch the rest of the CFB landscape play (over bowl season) you realize that most defensive stops end up coming on the heels of an offensive penalty, or somebody stepping up and making a play putting the other team behind the sticks. One really good play combined with a bunch of average other plays usually gets it done. Most stops don't come after 3 or 4 positive gains in a row. Also, the advantage of having 7 guys in coverage while still getting pressure with 4 is undeniable. For GT to get pressure, we needed to have only 5 or 6 guys in coverage, big difference. Gotsis is the exception and his loss, whether to injury or penalty was crippling.

Fourth, would be skill guys simply not getting any extra yards than were there directly as a result of open space. Said another way, we didn't make 7 yards out of a 4 yard play very often at all. That wasn't the case last year.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Disappointing: The inability to convert on third and fourth downs this year. The lack of a pass rush. The seeming season-long confusion among a veteran offensive line. The turnovers on offense. Summers and Hunt-Days bailing. Hunt-Days not making much of an impact before that. JT trying to force things too much, tho I can't blame him.

Positives: Brant Mitchell, Vic Alexander and AJ Gray are going to be very, very, very good. Jeune developed - didn't replace Waller/Smelter but showed flashes of being a threat. Searcy, Marcus Marshall and Clinton Lynch can be gamebreakers in the future. Bryan and Klock, if they continue to progress, could be two very mean SOBs on the line in a hurry.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think the biggest disappointment was having the mutts pinned deep in their own territory late in the game with a chance for Tech to win if we just held them. And we let them out. DAMN !!!

Agree plus 1000.

We run a predictable run lane blitz by sending lb into the giant holding scrum.
In the uga game when we need a score we have 2 lb on a rb who doesnt have ball and none on qb who passes to wide open tight end. Poor coaching imo.

slugboy

Staff member
Biggest disappointment: Gotsis deserved a better year--staying in the UNC game and not getting injured at the end of the year. Behind that, I'd say linebacker play.
Biggest surprise: Either playing like we should have in the FSU game, or not playing like we should have against UGA. Second would be averaging 21 ppg offensively against our real schedule.

Disappointing: The inability to convert on third and fourth downs this year. The lack of a pass rush. The seeming season-long confusion among a veteran offensive line. The turnovers on offense. Summers and Hunt-Days bailing. Hunt-Days not making much of an impact before that. JT trying to force things too much, tho I can't blame him.

Positives: Brant Mitchell, Vic Alexander and AJ Gray are going to be very, very, very good. Jeune developed - didn't replace Waller/Smelter but showed flashes of being a threat. Searcy, Marcus Marshall and Clinton Lynch can be gamebreakers in the future. Bryan and Klock, if they continue to progress, could be two very mean SOBs on the line in a hurry.
Biggest disappointment was not getting revenge for our 2014 loss to Duke. When we failed to show for that game, it was clear we were a team with real problems.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The most disappointed I was all season was after the UVA game. We were coming off an improbable victory over FSU, spirits were finally lifted a bit, we had a chance to turn things out and salvage the season and possibly still make a bowl game, and we just laid an egg against a really mediocre team. At that point, I kind of checked out mentally.

Biggest positive surprise for me like others have said was Brant Mitchell. Nice to know we will have him for a while.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I think the biggest disappointment was the general disfunction of the offense. I have been so confident in it since Johnson's been here, and to see them struggle so much for about ten games definitely shook me.

The biggest surprise, for me, was seeing freshmen grow. I think Lands-Davis, Marshall, Mitchell, Gray, et al improved considerably during the year, and their athleticism was apparent to anyone who watched. It's guys like that that make me remain bullish on 2016.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
There are a lot of moments to forget, but I like the play of the frosh kids. Making a name for themselves early is promising to see!

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Surprise - a team with this much returning talent, experience, and stable coaching found a way to lose 9 games while arguably being only 6 plays away from winning 9 games. Tech football always finds innovative ways to be unpredictable.

Disappointment - see above.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Biggest disappointment: Not building off a successful season

Biggest surprise: regression of the Seniors

Biggest positive: The middle of the defense has chance to be really strong with KCH, Brant, and AJ