Yates, the leader.

Deleted member 2897

He literally willed the team to victory on many occasions. That's leadership.

I’ll never forget when Duke came from way back to beat us in 2016. We’ll, they SHOULD have beat us as we were 3rd and 20 from our own end zone. JeT scrambled for like 50 yards and saved the game. He came back out after the game blowing kisses and rounding the field slapping 5s with fans.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I’ll never forget when Duke came from way back to beat us in 2016. We’ll, they SHOULD have beat us as we were 3rd and 20 from our own end zone. JeT scrambled for like 50 yards and saved the game. He came back out after the game blowing kisses and rounding the field slapping 5s with fans.

One of the best individual performances ever put on by a Tech football player.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I'm excited about Yates. But I'm just as excited to see the stable of qb's ahead of him and how the competition plays out. To single out Yates at this point is a slight against our returning qb's, imo. The last two phenom true frosh didn't start as freshmen, either. Reality suggests this one has a lot to prove to see the field.
Agree he has talent ( 6a championship) and snap (IVY league offers), but his height 5 11 is an issue. I hope lj is so good we can redshirt him this year and let him watch till he s a r soph.
Would love to see him be a chris milton like qb (ucf).
Based on boomers take of his performance in 6a championsh game, he could be a natural like milton

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m excited to see all the QB’s in action. Just watching Graham in pre-game drills had me impressed. Seeing Lucas Johnson last spring game has me excited. Watching Oliver score TD after TD last season has me excited. Watching Yates turn the knife on Probst was awesome. Same with our RB’s. We need high level competition in practice and a coach willing to play the best guy.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I’m excited to see all the QB’s in action. Just watching Graham in pre-game drills had me impressed. Seeing Lucas Johnson last spring game has me excited. Watching Oliver score TD after TD last season has me excited. Watching Yates turn the knife on Probst was awesome. Same with our RB’s. We need high level competition in practice and a coach willing to play the best guy.
:rolleyes:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Leadership can be exercised in a variety of ways. Some are "vocal", some are leaders by performance. Frankly, I prefer the later and I think Yates is like that. With Nesbitt, JT, - dare I say it? - TaQuon, it was a matter of making it clear that you will expect everybody else to put in the same effort that you do. My favorite was the great pitch JT made to Hill in the 2014 Ugag game. He waited until two dwags had him in the grasp, then made the pitch. He was going to be slammed and he knew it, but he made a perfect pitch anyway. You see that and you know you have to get your own performance up to match.

After watching Yates take his team on his shoulders over and over in his film, I think his Milton teammates thought the same about him. And it worked.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
Since we will be running an "NFL" type offense moving forward, I will be anxiously awaiting a prototypical NFL type QB either through the transfer portal or direct recruiting of HS QBs. In the meantime I expect that the best passer we have now is Lucas Johnson. I hope he can stay healthy this season.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Since we will be running an "NFL" type offense moving forward, I will be anxiously awaiting a prototypical NFL type QB either through the transfer portal or direct recruiting of HS QBs. In the meantime I expect that the best passer we have now is Lucas Johnson. I hope he can stay healthy this season.
Which NFL prototype are you looking for? A Matt Ryan prototype, a Drew Brees prototype, a Cam Newton prototype, a Russell Wilson prototype, a Patrick Mahomes prototype, or one of the other various types of QB prototypes in the NFL??? "NFL style offense" does not necessarily mean a drop back pocket passing QB run offense. The NFL is changing and runs a multitude of offensive styles (as CGC mentioned in his first press conference). We will likely be running a spread type offense where the skills at each position will translate to the NFL. We have plenty of QB options that can thrive in this type of offense.

Animal02

Banned
Not all leaders are extroverts. JeT was a heck of a leader during his time here.
He always seemed to have the "what is the big deal...we are supposed to win" attitude. Great Tech man. I would add Tevon in there too....took a lot of abuse from fans that wanted Vad to start. Though not the greatest arm, I think he had the best mastering of the 3O