WTF happened...sorta rant

LibertyTurns

Banned
What did you see that would lead you to think anything different?

Fast forward to 3:20. I'm sure you divined he didn't give a crap after the fumble either. We all know he didn't care if we won or not after that.

The kid has a personality and it's not throwing temper tantrums or rah-rah'ing the troops on the sideline. Sorry he doesn't fit your mold of what is correct football quarterback demenor.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Fast forward to 3:20. I'm sure you divined he didn't give a crap after the fumble either. We all know he didn't care if we won or not after that.

The kid has a personality and it's not throwing temper tantrums or rah-rah'ing the troops on the sideline. Sorry he doesn't fit your mold of what is correct football quarterback demenor.

And if he knew anything about JeT's upbringing he would realize that but what his believes is won't change. He just doubles downs just like his hero and expects his pronouncements to be taken as gospel.

I don't know where you are getting this information. I just re-read the 2011 and 2014 news reports of the probation. GT did not lose scholarships.
Further, the probation happened in 2009 under Johnson's watch. In the 2011 report, the NCAA stated "Head coach Paul Johnson will be required to “attend an NCAA Regional Rules Seminar in 2012.”"

This the result of hiring a coach with no experience at the Power 5 level. He never played or coached at this level before GT. Recruiting is a different deal at this level. This is not GSU or Navy.

By the way, Johnson's FBS win % at GT is now slightly less than Gailey's. Gailey did not have prior Power 5 coaching experience, either. The real problem with GT athletics starts at the top with the hiring process and contract negotiations.

Oh, for another Homer Rice and Kim King.
Maybe I am wrong, but I thought that Tech had scholarship limits placed on them for much earlier wrongs by O'Leary, and possibly under Gailey. Those limitations would have affected 2008-2010 recruiting, if I am correct. I am fully aware of what the NCAA reported concerning Johnson, but they were FOS. First of all, as it turned out, nothing wrong was done to begin with, and, even if it had been, it paled in comparison to what UNC had been getting away with. Secondly, in reality, Johnson was never at fault to begin with. DRad pretty much threw him under the bus for his own response to the NCAA.

I agree with what you say, however, about the problem being at the top; it always has been. That's why Tech hired (and later fired) both Carson and Rodgers; rich alums got their way, and we all suffered. I agree too that Homer Rice never did us any favors, especially in the hiring of Curry. I'm not sure why you include Kim King in there though. Can you explain?

And how many of those years was he able to recruit a FULL recruiting class? TWO !!! Yes, these are all his players now, and they haven't performed up to expectations, whether because of their (lack of) talent or coaching. Do you not remember that when he arrived, he was immediately hit with recruiting limitations because of "sins" of the past, and that because of DRad's screwup with the NCAA, he was hit with more. And on top of that, DRad consistently refused to increase the recruiting staff. Only when MBob was hired, was Johnson able to hire recruiting assistants like every other school in the country has. YOU are the one not living in the real world and facing up to FACTS. The fact that we could win last year with his recruits and yet not this year would certainly seem to indicate that there is something wrong somewhere in coaching, and Johnson must bear the responsibility for that as HC. I don't deny that, but I also don't believe that the blame can be laid entirely at his feet. If you are going to lay all the blame at his feet, then you must also give him all the credit for 2014. Are you willing to do that?
Sure he had a good year last year. He has had two good years at Tech. 2 out of 8 isn't a great average. All everyone talked about was wait until he gets his players in the system. He won at Navy with inferior talent, so he will dominate at Tech with increase in talent. Well in year 8 you're still using "wait until he gets his players." My question is how many does he need? Frank Beamer he is not, we have seen what Paul Johnson is all about and he isn't going to change his philosophy or attitude.

He has had 2 great seasons (both with 11 wins), and going into this year, he had the highest winning percentage of any Tech coach since Dodd (62.4%). That's not the record of a perennially bad coach!!! Even with this miserable season, his winning percentage will be either 58.6% or 59.6%, depending on the outcome Saturday. Both percentages still rank as second best since Dodd.

He has had 2 great seasons (both with 11 wins), and going into this year, he had the highest winning percentage of any Tech coach since Dodd (62.4%). That's not the record of a perennially bad coach!!! Even with this miserable season, his winning percentage will be either 58.6% or 59.6%, depending on the outcome Saturday. Both percentages still rank as second best since Dodd.
With your logic how can you count 2009? Mostly Chan's players. Can't have it both ways.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I am wrong, but I thought that Tech had scholarship limits placed on them for much earlier wrongs by O'Leary, and possibly under Gailey. Those limitations would have affected 2008-2010 recruiting, if I am correct. I am fully aware of what the NCAA reported concerning Johnson, but they were FOS. First of all, as it turned out, nothing wrong was done to begin with, and, even if it had been, it paled in comparison to what UNC had been getting away with. Secondly, in reality, Johnson was never at fault to begin with. DRad pretty much threw him under the bus for his own response to the NCAA.

I agree with what you say, however, about the problem being at the top; it always has been. That's why Tech hired (and later fired) both Carson and Rodgers; rich alums got their way, and we all suffered. I agree too that Homer Rice never did us any favors, especially in the hiring of Curry. I'm not sure why you include Kim King in there though. Can you explain?

You must be young and have no knowledge of GT athletics.

First, Rice didn't hire Curry. Once again you have your facts wrong.

Secondly, even if he had, he would have done us a favor. We were about to go 1-AA. Our facilities were the worst in the nation--Bear Bryant would not let his team dress in the visitors locker room. We had no money. Our de facto head recruiter--someone I knew, but I won't post her name--was an administrator at the AA. And yes, Bobby Dodd the AD was to blame for much of this.

Curry was about all we could attract at the time. He pulled the program up from where it was in 1979. He did a good enough job that Alabama hired him--with Bobby Dodd's blessing. I have never understood why anyone is critical of a great Tech Man like Bill Curry. Ignorance of the facts is the only explanation.

Homer Rice is the most important figure in GT history. He took a program that was about to go 1-AA to a national championship in football and a final four in basketball 10 years later, while also building a baseball world series runner up 4 years later and a perennial national contender in golf. He also corrected the Lewis mistake by hiring O'Leary as DC--Rice stepped in and made that hire, not Lewis. O'Leary was the last coach to have 5 (I believe) top 25 finishes, and beat UGa 3 in a row.

So you say Homer Rice never did us any favors?

Kim King, assuming you know who he was, made a lot of money. His money and his reputation as one of Dodd's boys gave him tremendous clout. He had good judgment in business and in athletics. He had tremendous credibility with the administration and the athletic board. He and Homer were a powerful combination.

I won't even go into the combination of Clough and Braine. What a disaster. They set a decline in motion, both with regard to finances and general decision making. The athletic board is now dominated by academics and donors that either don't understand or don't care about winning at a high level.

I could go on, but that's enough.

In fact two of his best years were because of Chan's players. He's actually only had one good year. I will go as far as to say if he hadn't had Josh Nesbit for his first QB, the win/loss record you keeping popping off with would not be any where it is. He carried a not so good football team to several wins.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This topic is troll manna...

Every team has a bad year from time to time. Consider this: Every team that has won an MNC over the last decade had a bowl streak shorter than ours. I for one am proud of this team. They have lost a lot of close games in spite of injury levels that would have crippled ANY team in FBS football. That speaks to our players dedication and the coaching staff. We are not a good team this year, but we are not nearly as bad as our record. If you guys can't see that, then that's on you, not the kids playing their hearts out or the coaches getting them ready.

I'm putting this one behind me and moving on to COFH. To Hell With georgie.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Please tell me who is "blaming" anyone player for the position we are in.
We weren't out of the game when he was sitting on the bench, towel draped over his head, looking detached from the game. Those of you that think he gave a rats *** about the outcome of the game are kidding yourselves. I can only comment on what I see and what I saw was not a leader that I would want to follow into combat.
What I saw was a pissed of QB who was upset he couldn't compete. It's pretty obvious he's not a rah rah type kid. Neither was Nesbit. The kid has had his *** handed to him all year. I played college basketball and anytime I was injured all I did was get pissed off I couldn't be on the floor and used that as motivation for the next time I get back out there. That look wasnt a look of disinterest it was a look of someone who is going to come out the next game mad as hell with something to prove. If we want to question players why not the kids who were laughing on the sideline while we were down 21-7.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
You must be young and have no knowledge of GT athletics.

First, Rice didn't hire Curry. Once again you have your facts wrong.

Secondly, even if he had, he would have done us a favor. We were about to go 1-AA. Our facilities were the worst in the nation--Bear Bryant would not let his team dress in the visitors locker room. We had no money. Our de facto head recruiter--someone I knew, but I won't post her name--was an administrator at the AA. And yes, Bobby Dodd the AD was to blame for much of this.

Curry was about all we could attract at the time. He pulled the program up from where it was in 1979. He did a good enough job that Alabama hired him--with Bobby Dodd's blessing. I have never understood why anyone is critical of a great Tech Man like Bill Curry. Ignorance of the facts is the only explanation.

Homer Rice is the most important figure in GT history. He took a program that was about to go 1-AA to a national championship in football and a final four in basketball 10 years later, while also building a baseball world series runner up 4 years later and a perennial national contender in golf. He also corrected the Lewis mistake by hiring O'Leary as DC--Rice stepped in and made that hire, not Lewis. O'Leary was the last coach to have 5 (I believe) top 25 finishes, and beat UGa 3 in a row.

So you say Homer Rice never did us any favors?

Kim King, assuming you know who he was, made a lot of money. His money and his reputation as one of Dodd's boys gave him tremendous clout. He had good judgment in business and in athletics. He had tremendous credibility with the administration and the athletic board. He and Homer were a powerful combination.

I won't even go into the combination of Clough and Braine. What a disaster. They set a decline in motion, both with regard to finances and general decision making. The athletic board is now dominated by academics and donors that either don't understand or don't care about winning at a high level.

I could go on, but that's enough.

A great memory refresher for me also, and all true IMHO. You kindly left out the fact that our extremely limited weight "room" was outside on the track underneath the old north stands because we didn't even have the Edge building until Homer raised enough money to finance it. The old artificial turf on Grant Field was a disgrace, our team dressed underneath the East stands, the south stands were ugly and downright dangerous, the Alexander Memorial Coliseum was poorly lighted, seated only 7000, students wore paper bags on their heads during the basketball games, and our baseball program was practically nonexistent. Look up "disaster" in the dictionary and you would find a picture of Tech athletics.

Homer changed ALL that. Its incredible just to think about it all today. We have a statue of Heisman. We need one of Rice right beside it.