WTF happened...sorta rant

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Has anybody else come to a moment recently, where you look at the season and think "WTF happened?" This is the worst football season at GT in 20 years. You have to go back to He who shall not be named was the head coach to find a year this bad. Hell we have students at GT who were born after that! They have no clue, They don't even know who I'm talking about!

Let this sink in.... We have successfully gone from first to worst in our own division. We DID not win a SINGLE coastal game. We LOST every single road game we played in this year, we are 1-7 in our past 8 games and we started as the number 15th ranked team in the nation. People were talking about this team as a dark horse candidate for the playoffs.

We have only beaten
Alcorn State
Tulane
FSU (Good lord how did we pull this one off)

We are 50th in the Yards per play metric everybody loves...we are 81st in defensive yards per play. Take a quick look at our team rankings, do it, I dare you, and you will get queasy to your stomach. Don't say I didn't warn you!

If your tired of crying and want to laugh, do a quick search for GaTECH OL gif's... I had a buddy of mine send me some that were floating around on the boards... He is a "U" fan...They are hilarious and freaking depressing all at the same time. They were of our OL at Duke, we literally were letting guys just run right by our Lines to takle our men.. The OL looked completely lost, which is just like this season...Lost.

Johnson says he has never had a season like this, well guess what for many GT fans neither have they!

This is crazy stuff, i'm talking about world has turned upside down kinda crap... I have no idea.... Did somebody piss off Jesus?

Oh and there is one more thing.... We are going to beat UGA... just wait we will. Somehow, someway our boys will pull a miracle and we will win.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Has anybody else come to a moment recently, where you look at the season and think "WTF happened?" This is the worst football season at GT in 20 years. You have to go back to He who shall not be named was the head coach to find a year this bad. Hell we have students at GT who were born after that! They have no clue, They don't even know who I'm talking about!

Let this sink in.... We have successfully gone from first to worst in our own division. We DID not win a SINGLE coastal game. We LOST every single road game we played in this year, we are 1-7 in our past 8 games and we started as the number 15th ranked team in the nation. People were talking about this team as a dark horse candidate for the playoffs.

We have only beaten
Alcorn State
Tulane

We are 50th in the Yards per play metric everybody loves...we are 81st in defensive yards per play. Take a quick look at our team rankings, do it, I dare you, and you will get queasy to your stomach. Don't say I didn't warn you!

If your tired of crying and want to laugh, do a quick search for GaTECH OL gif's... I had a buddy of mine send me some that were floating around on the boards... He is a "U" fan...They are hilarious and freaking depressing all at the same time. They were of our OL at Duke, we literally were letting guys just run right by our Lines to takle our men.. The OL looked completely lost, which is just like this season...Lost.

Johnson says he has never had a season like this, well guess what for many GT fans neither have they!

This is crazy stuff, i'm talking about world has turned upside down kinda crap... I have no idea.... Did somebody piss off Jesus?

Oh and there is one more thing.... We are going to beat UGA... just wait we will. Somehow, someway our boys will pull a miracle and we will win.
You were right until the end..

biojacket06

Georgia Tech Fan
If I had to assign a probability to beating UGA I would put it in the 1% range, maybe lower if JT is hurt.

The only WTF I have relates to the offensive line. All of our others woes are pretty easily explained by youth and injury. Unfortunately the only fix is time. We need guys to get healthy and more experience.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Unfortunately the only fix is time. We need guys to get healthy and more experience.

this is true. We have had seasons like this before 20 - 30 years ago. GT FB will bounce back in time. The real issue is that, historically, it seems to take at least 2-4 years to do so. I have never witnessed a falloff from year to year like what we have just witnessed. I hope to see its opposite next year. "Recovering" back to our 7 win mean will not be much of a recovery imo.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I do think it will be a true test to CPJ next year. It is easy to see we have a long ways to go. How will he handle getting us there? We need to improve on every front. I fear next year won't be much better.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
If I had to assign a probability to beating UGA I would put it in the 1% range, maybe lower if JT is hurt.

The only WTF I have relates to the offensive line. All of our others woes are pretty easily explained by youth and injury. Unfortunately the only fix is time. We need guys to get healthy and more experience.

I agree 100%. I think if our offensive line played like we had hoped this year we'd easily be bowl eligible. So Bruan is the only one leaving if Joe gets a hardship waiver, right? Should see a lot of the same faces in there next year. I sure hope they get a lot better.

jdubjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I think the CPJ's true test starts as soon as COFH is over. A very telling sign on how serious CPJ's resolve is will be if Sewak is still gainfully employed a week from today. Like the OP said, most of our WTF moments revolve around the OL. Lousy skill position play can be chalked up to youth or injury. But there's really no excuse for how bad our OL is.

On the other side of the ball, I'm not sure how I feel about Ted Roof. I know the offense going three and out isn't helping them and we've had lots of injuries but our offense under Gailey would often go 3 and out and our defense would bail us out all game. Our defensive depth chart at the beginning of the year looked pretty solid with a bunch of guys coming back plus Jabari, but the defense hasn't exactly been imposing this year. I'm dreading our D next year since we lose a good chunk of starters.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Cats and do

We have only beaten
Alcorn State
Tulane

Oh and there is one more thing.... We are going to beat UGA... just wait we will. Somehow, someway our boys will pull a miracle and we will win.[/QUOTE)
Bill Murray..."Cats and dogs sleeping together... Total chaos..."

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck

We have only beaten
Alcorn State
Tulane

Bill Murray..." Cats and dogs sleeping together... Total chaos"

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the CPJ's true test starts as soon as COFH is over. A very telling sign on how serious CPJ's resolve is will be if Sewak is still gainfully employed a week from today. Like the OP said, most of our WTF moments revolve around the OL. Lousy skill position play can be chalked up to youth or injury. But there's really no excuse for how bad our OL is.

On the other side of the ball, I'm not sure how I feel about Ted Roof. I know the offense going three and out isn't helping them and we've had lots of injuries but our offense under Gailey would often go 3 and out and our defense would bail us out all game. Our defensive depth chart at the beginning of the year looked pretty solid with a bunch of guys coming back plus Jabari, but the defense hasn't exactly been imposing this year. I'm dreading our D next year since we lose a good chunk of starters.
Our fanbase, despite an absence of evidence, convinced themselves that the D-Line was going to be good this year. Even before Gotsis went out they were not. Add in the fact that PJ Davis has been playing hurt since early on, and it makes it easy to see how it happens. I think we're actually better on D than last year overall, but that isn't saying much.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have to chuckle and not for anything that has been said in this thread, but rather reflecting on a common theme that I heard from so many posters over recent years. Specifically, during the string of years going bowling with unremarkable records, we would read posters proclaim in anguish that they would gladly take a down year here or there in order to have a few special ones thrown in too. They were tired of consistency and mediocrity. Well, now that it has happened (an orange bowl victory season followed by a losing one with no bowl), obviously the feelings are quite different.

I am not going to pretend that this season hasn't hurt. It has. Anybody who loves the Jackets the way I do is going to feel that. However, hurt is a part of sports, just like joy is. I'll get over it and everybody on this board needs to as well, either that or we will need to give up sports all together. There will be a time to reflect on the season and I will do so in a fairly long piece relatively soon. However, that time is not now for me. We have a very important game left, that will have a lot to do with how we view the season. There is another common theme I have heard from swarm posters, in that any season we beat the mutts is a good season that will bring them satisfaction. It will be interesting to see how true that rings if we are lucky enough to come out on top next weekend.

Staying on top of the world in any sport, let alone CFB, is a tough thing to do. GT is not the only team in history to have taken such a fall. There is some good in the current state of our program, if you willing to look for it and are experienced enough to recognize it. Who knows, maybe the sting of disappointment and the utter embarrassment of this season is going to be the catalyst for a collective sense of resolve, unprecedented in GT football history among our players, which will propel us to the most productive off season ever. Teams are different every year and every week for that matter. Que UGAg.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Who else thinks that JTs body language on the sideline was piss poor.

Who else thinks this is a silly, demeaning question about a young man who given his all and taken more hits in a effort to win games for OUR enjoyment. You know most of the time I have little issue with your posts but this one is absolutely uncalled for.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There is another common theme I have heard from swarm posters, in that any season we beat the mutts is a good season that will bring them satisfaction. It will be interesting to see how true that rings if we are lucky enough to come out on top next weekend.

Boomer...I am one of those who have said that. I hope I get a chance to test that theory as it will be the first time that we have beat them (in my lifetime as a fan) when we were having such an ugly season. When we beat them, we usually have a pretty good season and/or they are below their norm. I never have seen a 3 win GT team beat the Dogs. We usually get blown out when we are this hapless. Of course, there IS a first time for everything.