WSB TV & UGA

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I tuned into wsb tv last night to watch the 7:00 pm national news. What I saw was a channel 2 pre NFL draft show featuring the possible uga draft picks. Some how they decided not to show a national program and substituted their own program featuring the ugag football team. The rich only get richer while Tech is no where to be seen.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I tuned into wsb tv last night to watch the 7:00 pm national news. What I saw was a channel 2 pre NFL draft show featuring the possible uga draft picks. Some how they decided not to show a national program and substituted their own program featuring the ugag football team. The rich only get richer while Tech is no where to be seen.
UGA won the national championship. They ended up with 5 first rounders just on their defense and Nakobe Dean and Pickens (who I really can't stand) will probably go in the second round and/or third round.

Just out of curiosity, how many of our players were drafted in the first round? Did we win the national championship this year? Did we go to a bowl? No, no, and no. So why should they bother saying anything about GT football?

I'm not telling you to like it that the UGA channel featured UGA in the pre-draft time slot. But it's pretty understandable why they would do it. And you probably already understand all of that. But if we can figure all that out then certainly the people at WSB-TV can figure it out especially considering they are looking for ways to pump up the UGA program.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
There was a nice spot on channel 11 news (sports segment) about Juanyeh Thomas' workout and draft potential yesterday.
Yeah, WSB has its nose up the dog's butt.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
UGA won the national championship. They ended up with 5 first rounders just on their defense and Nakobe Dean and Pickens (who I really can't stand) will probably go in the second round and/or third round.

Just out of curiosity, how many of our players were drafted in the first round? Did we win the national championship this year? Did we go to a bowl? No, no, and no. So why should they bother saying anything about GT football?

I'm not telling you to like it that the UGA channel featured UGA in the pre-draft time slot. But it's pretty understandable why they would do it. And you probably already understand all of that. But if we can figure all that out then certainly the people at WSB-TV can figure it out especially considering they are looking for ways to pump up the UGA program.
Nothing like this happened in 1990.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
How much did you see about anything regarding Tech's 1990 Championship? Right, that's my point.
And? I’m not really sure what your point is. Are you saying UGA gets more and better coverage than GT? Is that some sort of revelation? It’s been true as long as I’ve been around GT in 1984. I’m not sure why it’s so hard to grasp that dollars run the media. There’s more UGA fans. That equals more dollars. That equals more eyeballs on commercials. It equals more stuff purchased. Advertisers like that. And this year the team in the area that has MANY more fans also has legit earned more coverage. They were better than everyone else in the nation. The NFL teams are picking their players like they are hot Krispy Kremes. They are sports news locally and nationally. We aren’t.

Are you trying to say it’s not fair? If so then define fair. I’m not intentionally being argumentative I just don’t see what the big deal is or why anyone would be up in arms about the coverage disparity in this of all years.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
And? I’m not really sure what your point is. Are you saying UGA gets more and better coverage than GT? Is that some sort of revelation? It’s been true as long as I’ve been around GT in 1984. I’m not sure why it’s so hard to grasp that dollars run the media. There’s more UGA fans. That equals more dollars. That equals more eyeballs on commercials. It equals more stuff purchased. Advertisers like that. And this year the team in the area that has MANY more fans also has legit earned more coverage. They were better than everyone else in the nation. The NFL teams are picking their players like they are hot Krispy Kremes. They are sports news locally and nationally. We aren’t.

Are you trying to say it’s not fair? If so then define fair. I’m not intentionally being argumentative I just don’t see what the big deal is or why anyone would be up in arms about the coverage disparity in this of all years.
Not a revelation jojatk. No one is claiming cold fusion here, so what is your reaction based on here? We were talking about wsb and Jeff Hullingster ok. He and they have never given Tech football much credit and gush about Uga everytime they get a first down against Ludowici State A&M. Sportscasters, weather people, local news hosts, were dawg fans before they became so called unbiased purveyors of the news of the day. More importantly, the producers of the channels, like the editors of the newspapers, are also much more likely to be connected to Uga. It's not fair or unfair, it's how it is and just another hurdle for Tech to overcome. The OP was disappointed in the coverage he found on wsb and I posted it's always been this way, including 1990---no more, no less. Maybe more decaf for ya?
Actually, we were the toast of the town during Dodd, and Uga had more fans then too. Seems the answer is winning, huh? Maybe somebody can dig up Wally Butts and Kirby will get lost in the TP! Or better yet, Elon will become a rabid YJ fan.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
... if you look for nits, you most likely find one to pick.
Exactly. All Tech’s National Championship did was earn us EQUAL coverage for a few months. Then it was over and back to a 70/30 split of uga/Tech coverage. Even in years we have beaten them we never get the dominant coverage that the media gives uga in our own town.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Not a revelation jojatk. No one is claiming cold fusion here, so what is your reaction based on here? We were talking about wsb and Jeff Hullingster ok. He and they have never given Tech football much credit and gush about Uga everytime they get a first down against Ludowici State A&M. Sportscasters, weather people, local news hosts, were dawg fans before they became so called unbiased purveyors of the news of the day. More importantly, the producers of the channels, like the editors of the newspapers, are also much more likely to be connected to Uga. It's not fair or unfair, it's how it is and just another hurdle for Tech to overcome. The OP was disappointed in the coverage he found on wsb and I posted it's always been this way, including 1990---no more, no less. Maybe more decaf for ya?
Actually, we were the toast of the town during Dodd, and Uga had more fans then too. Seems the answer is winning, huh? Maybe somebody can dig up Wally Butts and Kirby will get lost in the TP! Or better yet, Elon will become a rabid YJ fan.
I'd agree that the answer is winning in part. But GT is not going to be the media draw that UGA is. As for decaf I'm actually fairly calm. I'm just trying to understand why there's any angst about this topic at all. Or even more, why there's any surprise about it. We also agree that it's always been this way.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Our own fans fan can’t even fill our stadium why should we expect air time filled with viewers dominated by fans of other teams
I know it's true but ...

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I'd agree that the answer is winning in part. But GT is not going to be the media draw that UGA is. As for decaf I'm actually fairly calm. I'm just trying to understand why there's any angst about this topic at all. Or even more, why there's any surprise about it. We also agree that it's always been this way.
Yes, if you mean in the "recent" always ( LOL ). Before VD ( Dooley ) things were a lot different........

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
No surprise on my part. As for the angst, maybe because it harms something most here care about (not that there's anything we can do about it).