WRs in Duke game

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
We discussed the possibilities for WRs before Elon in having a huge game, but Smelter ended with no catches and Summers didn't break 100 yards, though he did have a good game.

What are the thoughts/guesses for WRs tomorrow against Duke? I am most excited about having Waller back. Both Smelter and Summers are new/inexperienced, so I am still happy about what I have seen from them so far.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Funny how all the hand wringing and freaking out about our wr's disappeared all of a sudden.
I don't even know what or whom this post references, but can you save these kind of comments to bbuzzoff and leave it out of at least this thread. I am just looking for a discussion of what people think or expect of the WRs as of this point, not posts about other posters or evaluation of the fan base.

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Waller breaks 100 yds and scores a TD. CPJ is real big on not running up the score and the first quarter of Elon kept him from throwing much. Smelter gets his first catch but not much else. Snoddy has a big game out of the shotgun.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't even know what or whom this post references, but can you save these kind of comments to bbuzzoff and leave it out of at least this thread. I am just looking for a discussion of what people think or expect of the WRs as of this point, not posts about other posters or evaluation of the fan base.
I think you misunderstood me. It wasn't a shot at you or anyone. It was just an observation that the entire fanbase was crying in their collective beer over the position starting with spring camp all the way through the summer and now it's nothing but crickets. LUF. (just so you know, there is no more buzzoff, but I think you already knew that.)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't think the issue with Summers not breaking a 100 yards had little to do with him. Summers had 3 receptions and I think 5 targets, both misses being overthrows. On the 54 yard completion, Micheal adjusted very well to the ball. Now, it's possible that he was the primary on some routes that were checked down, but I really doubt it. The other 4 receptions were to Sims, Godhigh, Hill, and Bostic. The other two incompletions were an intentional overthrow and a hot shot underthrow to Laskey. Maybe one or two of the a-back completions was check-down?

So, I don't have any complaints about our WRs. I'm actually really excited about having Waller and Summers as both legitimate threats deep. If I were a DC, I might even be tempted to put man coverage on Waller rather than Summers (if I have to choose) given how well Summers adjusts to passes and looks them into his hands.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
We will see what Waller does this weekend.

I think Smelter will play well.

Looking for the A backs in the passing game.

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
I doubt we have any WR over 100yds tomorrow.

Probably rip Duke pretty well in the run game and leave little reason to air it out. I would like to see Sims break the 100yd mark though.

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
In the past, the only way any of the receivers got to 100+ yd receiving in a game was that they had 2 catches that went for big gains. Usually we don't have any one catch more than 3 in a game. I don't think we'll have anyone catch for over 100+ yds but I would expect at least 3 guys to have 50+ yds receiving. I would say Summers, Waller, and Bostic would be the three most likely to get 50+ yds.

Our receiving group is still unproven in my opinion but they shouldn't have any problems against Duke.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't be surprised by 150+ receiving yards for the game, however, I have trouble seeing any one target dominating to the tune of 100+ of them.

First, I think that Vad is better at checking down and not fixating on a primary target which will make 100+ yd games less frequent given our number of pass attempts.

Second, for the QB to keep throwing to a prime target or CPJ to call for more passes to a specific receiver we have to have someone prove they deserve that like Bebe and then Hill basically did. Maybe Waller does that but I would think it may take him a couple games to be able to make that case.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
First, I think that Vad is better at checking down and not fixating on a primary target which will make 100+ yd games less frequent given our number of pass attempts.
disagree on this. I think it's something he needs to work on. Remember the wide open receiver he missed in the FSU game cause he was watching Waller?

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
DCS, true he has done that occasionally. I liked how in that one Process video or maybe it was that AJC interview video? He broke down that play and mentioned that he threw to the wrong guy. He clearly does try and improve and learn so I tend to have shorter memories with those kinds of guys (that includes Tevin btw).

I actually left out a clause though. I was thinking "better than his predecessors" at checking down but did not write that in. The exception would be that Tevin had greatly improved in that area his last season, while Vad in his first season was better at it than his predecessors in their first seasons. But, maybe the difference is more about how his predecessors spent more time with a BeBe or Hill out there and CPJ would tell them to just get those guys the ball more?

Anyway, it seems to me that Vad is improving on that aspect faster than his predecessors seemed to from my memory, and that is why I think he "is better" at it.
I know my main proof is just one game, against Elon, but I think that kind of distribution to WRs and A and B-backs will be the norm with Vad.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
he doesn't start due to different WR positions...how much he plays reflects how good he is.

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
He means their isnt a left wr and a right wr. I don't know what tech calls their wr but you typically have an x, y, and z. I would guess summers, smelter, and Waller are x.