Writer and Analyst ACC Forecasts

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
It just seems funny to me how some of our fans are so high on FSU's improvement but are pretty negative about GT. I just want to know what about FSU says they should see significant improvement.
FSU has recruited much better than us the past three years, and hit the transfer portal even harder than we did in the offseason. They are ranked #19 in the returning talent index on Football Outsiders for 2021. They were ranked 16th (2nd in the ACC) in the talent composite on 247 in 2020. In other words, they have the horses. They shouldn't be as bad as they are. Alot of it will come down to QB play. A healthy Milton or Purdy could make them a pretty good team. While I think Travis can be decent, I think his ceiling is lower than the other guys.

For the record also, I think we can be pretty good this year and could win more games than they do. Both of our teams have brutal schedules.

slugboy

Staff member
Here’s FSU’s schedule.
Notre Dame
Jacksonville State
at Wake Forest
Louisville
Syracuse
at UNC
UMass
at Clemson
NCST
Miami
at Boston College
at Florida

Their schedule is easier than ours. It has some hard teams on it (Florida, Notre Dame, Clemson) and they should be underdogs against UNC and Miami. They stand a pretty good shot at being 4-1 going into the UNC game, so they probably won’t melt down like previous seasons.
Having Miami, Louisville, and NCST at home should be a big advantage for them. They should go bowling this year, and I think they’ll probably have 6-7 wins. I think we’d have 6 or more wins with this schedule, maybe as many as 8 or 9 if we got rolling.

I think we have a shot at 6 or even 7 wins with our schedule, but everything would have to fall the right way. Our schedule looks harder than theirs. Having quality depth if a key player is out is key to a couple of wins for us.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think a realistic best case is 7-8 wins and a realistic worst case is 4-5 wins. I think the difference between the two is going to be confidence, chemistry, and things clicking for the younger guys. I think our OL will be much improved and our interior DL will be improved.

I think if we get a couple of big wins, the whole attitude of the team will solidify positively. I saw this happen in 1989 and 1997. That '97 team went 7-5, 3 losses to ranked teams (#5, #11, #14) by a FG and @UVA by 4 (blown out by #3 FSU). The following years were both special. If things click, I look for us to go 7-6/8-5 this year and have a special year next year. If it doesn't happen this year, I expect it to happen next year.

Now all this being said, I think we're going 15-0 and bringing home some mad hardware for that empty trophy case...wait, that's that other "tech" school. Here's looking to No. 5 in 2021.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It just seems funny to me how some of our fans are so high on FSU's improvement but are pretty negative about GT. I just want to know what about FSU says they should see significant improvement.
It was not that long ago the Criminoles won a national championship. That has to count for something...for a while anyway.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Here’s FSU’s schedule.
Notre Dame
Jacksonville State
at Wake Forest
Louisville
Syracuse
at UNC
UMass
at Clemson
NCST
Miami
at Boston College
at Florida

Their schedule is easier than ours. It has some hard teams on it (Florida, Notre Dame, Clemson) and they should be underdogs against UNC and Miami. They stand a pretty good shot at being 4-1 going into the UNC game, so they probably won’t melt down like previous seasons.
Having Miami, Louisville, and NCST at home should be a big advantage for them. They should go bowling this year, and I think they’ll probably have 6-7 wins. I think we’d have 6 or more wins with this schedule, maybe as many as 8 or 9 if we got rolling.

I think we have a shot at 6 or even 7 wins with our schedule, but everything would have to fall the right way. Our schedule looks harder than theirs. Having quality depth if a key player is out is key to a couple of wins for us.
Their problem is similar to ours, they have a difficult cross divisional rival that they play every year in Miami. Of course, we play Clemson and Miami as well as UGA every year so I am not shedding tears for them. Last year they lost convincingly to Louisville, Miami, Pitt and Notre Dame and they lost to Tech. Hope springs eternal in Tallahassee I guess.

slugboy

Staff member
The bookies in Vegas have us forecast at 2.5 ACC conference wins for 2021, so somewhere between 4-5 wins for the season:

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
The bookies in Vegas have us forecast at 2.5 ACC conference wins for 2021, so somewhere between 4-5 wins for the season:

Interesting. I wonder which of the UVA, BC, Pitt and VT games they like us in? Considering Duke is one of the projected W's.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Here’s FSU’s schedule.
Notre Dame
Jacksonville State
at Wake Forest
Louisville
Syracuse
at UNC
UMass
at Clemson
NCST
Miami
at Boston College
at Florida

Regarding the two most challenging schedules in the ACC, FSU and ours, I don't think there is any question that ours is more demanding even if they do open with the Irish.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
That's why it's 11.5 and not 12...
Yeah, but that line is making them a favorite against Georgia and a lock against everyone else. Note: they lost regular season games to unranked opponents in 2016 and 2017, 2 years out of their 5 year playoff stretch.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yeah, but that line is making them a favorite against Georgia and a lock against everyone else. Note: they lost regular season games to unranked opponents in 2016 and 2017, 2 years out of their 5 year playoff stretch.

They are favored against uga this year, and while they lost to unranked opponents, it was the first two years of their playoff seasons. The last three years have been pretty much flawless.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
more disrespect at 4 wins
Here's CFN's 2021 preview
Not entirely relevant, but I checked, and the only 2 times we have worn Gold helmet, White jersey (black numbers), and Gold pants were 2019 against VT (first scoreless at home in 60+ years), and 2020 Syracuse (multi-score loss to otherwise winless ACC team).

GT_EE78

Banned
Not entirely relevant, but I checked, and the only 2 times we have worn Gold helmet, White jersey (black numbers), and Gold pants were 2019 against VT (first scoreless at home in 60+ years), and 2020 Syracuse (multi-score loss to otherwise winless ACC team).
Wow,crappy results but the uni looks decent