Wright and Alvarado Pre-Draft Activities

LibertyTurns

Banned
Just make the roster. The minimum salary used to be over $600k plus shoe contract and that was several years ago. A smart kid can be set up for life if they invest it wisely.
Minimum for 2021-22 will be $925K. I'll take it.
Glad Moses and Jose have a chance here but unless they have a 6-10 year career they likely will not be set.

You guys are too funny. $2-3 million is not going to “set you up for life”. Let’s say you got some sort of great annuity that was willing to pay you 10% annually on the balance. S&P averages about 11.5% over a couple decades. That’s $300k/yr NOW. Over time, likely 20 yrs from now (could be less) it’s the equivalent of $150k. By the time they hit 60 it’s only worth $75k in today’s earning power. Then Uncle Sam has his hand in your rich pocket. Hardly “raking it in”. Good money no doubt that early in a career but not enough to mail it in.

Tadams6599

Jolly Good Fellow
Glad Moses and Jose have a chance here but unless they have a 6-10 year career they likely will not be set.

You guys are too funny. $2-3 million is not going to “set you up for life”. Let’s say you got some sort of great annuity that was willing to pay you 10% annually on the balance. S&P averages about 11.5% over a couple decades. That’s $300k/yr NOW. Over time, likely 20 yrs from now (could be less) it’s the equivalent of $150k. By the time they hit 60 it’s only worth $75k in today’s earning power. Then Uncle Sam has his hand in your rich pocket. Hardly “raking it in”. Good money no doubt that early in a career but not enough to mail it in.
What a downer

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

That's why I don't do annuities.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
It is risky chasing hoop dreams. If things aren't happening after 2-3 years, you can pull the plug and start a career in your degree field. If you wait too long, many companies may be reluctant to hire a 30 year old into an entry level position when he is 7-8 years removed from college. This is why many former college athletes are hawking cell phones in the T-Mobile store.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
From what I’ve seen, most companies love hiring former college athletes. The ability to grind and compete is something that college athletes excel at.
After a couple of years playing overseas, many companies look at that as a positive experience (learning different cultures, working as part of a team, etc.). After 7-8 years, it becomes less appealing. I know two cases, one where a guy held on too long and one where a guy got out after 2 years. Admittedly, this is a small sample size, but both have told me stories of others.