WR Coach - Kerry Dixon

slugboy

Staff member
Boy, that’s a short article. For the online versions, I’d like more content than that.

It does tell a few things.
1. It’s hard to find time at slot with McGowan there. It sounds like a player or two are locking down that position.
2. We have a lot of potential at WR. Players should need to give 100% to be ATL.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
With the portal I don’t think years matter any more. The days of building a team with a target of looking 2 or 3 years down the road are over. We are now in the era of having to recruit your own players week after week. And we all know the #1 reason is playing time followed by #2, usage. Brown left not because of playing time but due to usage. Right now we all feel good about our RB room. But what happens if someone gets in Gibbs ear and he bolts to Clemson after this year to get the marquee slot. And Griffin leaves due to playing time. And Smith leaves, etc. What if Sims turns legit and UF calls? I think it’s going to be a crazy system and something none of us are even contemplating. Right now the portal has been our friend because the players using it are looking for playing time from bigger programs. But it won’t take the factories long to start poaching from the masses. Could you imagine Gibbs in an Etienne type role with that OLine and QB? I’m just saying now that it’s been officially passed by the NCAA that the recruiting of players is just getting started.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
With the portal I don’t think years matter any more. The days of building a team with a target of looking 2 or 3 years down the road are over. We are now in the era of having to recruit your own players week after week. And we all know the #1 reason is playing time followed by #2, usage. Brown left not because of playing time but due to usage. Right now we all feel good about our RB room. But what happens if someone gets in Gibbs ear and he bolts to Clemson after this year to get the marquee slot. And Griffin leaves due to playing time. And Smith leaves, etc. What if Sims turns legit and UF calls? I think it’s going to be a crazy system and something none of us are even contemplating. Right now the portal has been our friend because the players using it are looking for playing time from bigger programs. But it won’t take the factories long to start poaching from the masses. Could you imagine Gibbs in an Etienne type role with that OLine and QB? I’m just saying now that it’s been officially passed by the NCAA that the recruiting of players is just getting started.
What if the whole team transfers and we have no one and can't field a team?!?!

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
While I think we’ll definitely see more transfers than before, it’s still ultimately easier to stay at the same school than to transfer. Some players may transfer due to playing time and/or usage, but there are other factors that play into choosing a college. Collins’ ATL/Competition is King culture may actually help with retaining players, as it puts extra emphasis on giving snaps to players who have earned them. Even before the transfer rules change, it seemed that Collins was targeting players who fit into his culture.

slugboy

Staff member
Football still has the 25 in one year but no more than 85 in 4 years limit. Basketball just has a 13 scholarship limit.
In other sports, you could turn over an entire roster in one year. In Football, it’s more difficult because you have to match years plus academic progress.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
What if the whole team transfers and we have no one and can't field a team?!?!
I get it, but we all see it coming. Nothing to stop Clemson, Bama, Oklahoma from poaching the top 2-3 players from other teams year over year. Brown left and I think we can all agree no one saw that coming until he posted it. Nothing to stop other guys. It won’t be 85 or even 10 but loyalty no longer exists in the world of AAU hoops and the elite football world. If Sims shows a pulse this year and Lincoln Riley needed a QB you don’t think Sims would listen? Heck, if it were my son you’re darn right he would listen and I’m a GT family. But business is business. Right now, the transfers have been for playing time or better situations for the player not the team. Soon, the elite players like Gibbs will be offered opportunities hard to turn down. But, I could stick my head in the sand and assume players would rather play noon games on ESPNU than 3:30 or 8pm time slots. I’m worried about our next Joe Hams and Dwyer’s.

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
What if another ship blocks the Suez again, or even the Panama Canal?

What if another freeze takes down a swath of renewable power?

What if there is a computer chip shortage? (Oops)

What if there is a second or third wave of pandemic-related shutdowns?

What if there is another shortage of... (wait for it) toilet paper?

What if, what if , what if....

To quote someone famous “don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I get it, but we all see it coming. Nothing to stop Clemson, Bama, Oklahoma from poaching the top 2-3 players from other teams year over year. Brown left and I think we can all agree no one saw that coming until he posted it. Nothing to stop other guys. It won’t be 85 or even 10 but loyalty no longer exists in the world of AAU hoops and the elite football world. If Sims shows a pulse this year and Lincoln Riley needed a QB you don’t think Sims would listen? Heck, if it were my son you’re darn right he would listen and I’m a GT family. But business is business. Right now, the transfers have been for playing time or better situations for the player not the team. Soon, the elite players like Gibbs will be offered opportunities hard to turn down. But, I could stick my head in the sand and assume players would rather play noon games on ESPNU than 3:30 or 8pm time slots. I’m worried about our next Joe Hams and Dwyer’s.
We should just stop playing football, you clearly have it all figured out.

Brown left because he wasn't getting used the same way as his freshman year and he thinks he should be the #1 receiver.

Its sad that you are that starstruck and would be disloyal to your own school like that, but your son isn't college football material so we don't have to worry about that. And last I checked, coaches still cannot contact a player on another team until they are in the portal. Would you tell your son to give up his spot as starting QB at GT and throw away that scholarship to enter the portal, just to have a chance at maybe being the guy Lincoln Riley decides he wants and then hoping you beat out the 4 and 5 star QBs already there who have been learning his system since they left high school? Because that is a horrible business decision. Even Jalen Hurts only left Bama because he was a senior and had gotten benched for the new guy.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Dude, if you really believe players aren’t contacted until they enter the portal then you must also believe bagmen don’t exist. This system is corrupt to its core. And yes, if my son had the chance to be the QB for a top 3 team as opposed to a 3-5 win team you better believe he’d transfer. And leaving a full ride scholarship for another full ride scholarship doesn‘t change any decision. And using Hurts as an example going from Bama to OK is funny. He wins either way. But that’s just a distraction to the bigger point - recruiting for current players was just given the green light by the NCAA so let the games begin. Just remember my position when we are all “shocked“ by one of our studs in the future. I’m definitely not losing sleep over it just like I don’t lose sleep when another 5 star signs with UGA over GT. I understand the world of big business.