WR Coach - Kerry Dixon

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Interesting that he was hired to coach WR since he has not coached that position for the past five years and only one time in his coaching career. However the article notes that he was rated as a top 25 in recruiting. The article also says that he has story ties in FL.
Anyone got any inside information not mentioned in the article on this guy?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
WR coach at Florida.

“Before coming to Toledo, Dixon was the wide receivers coach at Florida from 2015-17. Prior to that he coached running backs at Montana State (2010-11), FAU (2012-13) and FIU (2014).”

“ In 2016, Dixon was named a Top 25 recruiter by Rivals.”

So far a pretty young staff too. This also tells me he is not tied to Temple’s staff.

https://utrockets.com/coaches.aspx?rc=481&path=football

Last edited:

sc jacket 22

Jolly Good Fellow
WR coach at Florida.

“Before coming to Toledo, Dixon was the wide receivers coach at Florida from 2015-17. Prior to that he coached running backs at Montana State (2010-11), FAU (2012-13) and FIU (2014).”

So far a pretty young staff too. This also tells me he is not tied to Temple’s staff.

Doesn’t surprise me that he’s a great recruiter. I have a hard time seeing CGC hiring anyone who isn’t.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
From FootballScoop:

Georgia Tech: Source tells FootballScoop Toledo running backs coach Kerry Dixon is expected to join Geoff Collins’ staff likely to coach receivers we hear. Prior to joining the Toledo staff for this season, Dixon spent three seasons as receivers coach at Florida.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
WR coach at Florida.

Thought the same thing about his Temple staff. People are making rumors, but so far CGC is being smart and going out to get good young coaches who should be able to recruit.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I can imagine hiring a coaching staff in a videogame would look something like this:

Name......Kerry Dixon
Overall...82
Route running...73
Catching...78
Blocking...82
Recruiting...95

Hire that dude!
We have been under the assumption that our present position coaches are good at coaching up the players. Watching Armies OL makes me doubt this. I wish we had gone after that guy along time ago.

Also - if we Recruit TALENT and not coach up by year 2-3, I hope we make changes in position coaches. I believe in loyalty, but not to a fault. GOT TO HAVE MORE TALENT.

Like the hire

slugboy

Staff member
My impression of Florida in those days was “loaded with potential” + “not well coached or used on offense”.

I’m hoping a lot for the first impression and that we see the opposite of the second.

Looks like Collins puts a premium on recruiting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
We have been under the assumption that our present position coaches are good at coaching up the players. Watching Armies OL makes me doubt this. I wish we had gone after that guy along time ago.

Also - if we Recruit TALENT and not coach up by year 2-3, I hope we make changes in position coaches. I believe in loyalty, but not to a fault. GOT TO HAVE MORE TALENT.

Like the hire
We actually had put together a pretty good OL for the option offense. But we spent 4 years trying to find the next Shaq Mason before we had some success with that physical mold. That's the thing: why do some people think recruiting higher rated recruits to Tech is any harder than trying to find the Andrew Gardners and Shaq Masons, who outperform their rankings?

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
We actually had put together a pretty good OL for the option offense. But we spent 4 years trying to find the next Shaq Mason before we had some success with that physical mold. That's the thing: why do some people think recruiting higher rated recruits to Tech is any harder than trying to find the Andrew Gardners and Shaq Masons, who outperform their rankings?
You need both. You can't hang your hat on securing only top rated recruits but you can't consistently win with a roster full of players with high upside. Staff needs to recruit at a high level to secure the former and do a great job coaching up the latter.