Which would you rather have?

• Stellar athlete

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • Seasoned TO QB.

Votes: 41 58.6%

• Total voters

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
In these trying times, no practice, unis 2 months from launch, and with the heat right around the corner, I want to hear your opinion on this matter.
At this level of football, would you rather have a QB that is an exceptional athlete that has never taken a snap from under center? Or a good athlete who has run a version of our O. What is more important? Having that speed and fluidity that can’t be taught? Or coming in with a knowledge of footwork and the mesh point at the BBack read?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My initial thoughts
In these trying times where we hope to be good enough to beat Duke and Virginia in the same year, it's clearly a seasoned qb.

Then my thoughts say - is that what we are - Duke beaters? If the guy that touches the ball on every play is a stellar athlete, surely he can learn the system and we can actually be very good.

I vote Both.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Is "Cam Newton in our system for 3 years" not a choice?!

In all seriousness, GT actually has signed and played a recruit that fits each of your parameters with varying success:

Would you rather have a QB that is an exceptional athlete that has never taken a snap from under center?
Tevin, JeT, Vad were all recruited from a High Schools that took snaps from the shotgun with little (if any) experience under center. Tevin may be the best technician of CPJ's offense of all the QBs that played for CPJ at GT, but probably the least physically gifted QB. Vad had the athleticism and physical abilities, but not the passion for the offense. JeT, we all know how that ended.

A good athlete who has run a version of our O.
Synjyn Days ran almost exactly the same offense in HS. Like all QBs we have recruited, Synjyn was most definitely a good athlete as his QB/AB/BB days will attest to (on a sidenote, he would have been a REALLY good safety). From reports and his HS coach, Lucas Johnson played in a very similar offense his first two years in HS.

I think the biggest thing with this offense isn't where you come from (though it certainly helps) but the ability to process information and execute at this level. That Tevin, who was arguably the least physically talented QB, was able to hold off 2 of the more physically gifted QBs (Vad and JeT) tells you that running this offense if more between the ears than what's below the neck.

You never know with QBs at this level...you just put them behind center and see how it plays out.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer

In all seriousness, GT actually has signed and played a recruit that fits each of your parameters with varying success:

Would you rather have a QB that is an exceptional athlete that has never taken a snap from under center?
Tevin, JeT, Vad were all recruited from a High Schools that took snaps from the shotgun with little (if any) experience under center. Tevin may be the best technician of CPJ's offense of all the QBs that played for CPJ at GT, but probably the least physically gifted QB. Vad had the athleticism and physical abilities, but not the passion for the offense. JeT, we all know how that ended.

Synjyn Days ran almost exactly the same offense in HS. Like all QBs we have recruited, Synjyn was most definitely a good athlete as his QB/AB/BB days will attest to (on a sidenote, he would have been a REALLY good safety). From reports and his HS coach, Lucas Johnson played in a very similar offense his first two years in HS.

I think the biggest thing with this offense isn't where you come from (though it certainly helps) but the ability to process information and execute at this level. That Tevin, who was arguably the least physically talented QB, was able to hold off 2 of the more physically gifted QBs (Vad and JeT) tells you that running this offense if more between the ears than what's below the neck.

You never know with QBs at this level...you just put them behind center and see how it plays out.
This is why I find this conversation so intriguing. And I appreciate your input.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer

Another interesting point is does level of competition make that big of a difference? Jaybo Shaw was outstanding in this O, but JfnN was the better athlete. It may not be fair to say Jaybo couldn’t have succeeded at this level, but he went to GS(U) and balled tf out.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Ahhh. At first I thought the pole referred to QB type to choose as a starter. But appears the poll was geared more toward recruiting. With that in mind I’ll change my vote to stellar athlete now.

It is an interesting question but the simple answer is you want a QB who can operate the offense. This is true no matter what offense you are running. But as we have seen, it is not all about the QB. Yes in our current world of football every one looks to that position but case in point, we had a great athlete who knew how to run the offense in JT5. And what was our record in 2015? Without a good line, good running backs who know how to block, etc. Football is an 11 man game.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
It is an interesting question but the simple answer is you want a QB who can operate the offense. This is true no matter what offense you are running. But as we have seen, it is not all about the QB. Yes in our current world of football every one looks to that position but case in point, we had a great athlete who knew how to run the offense in JT5. And what was our record in 2015? Without a good line, good running backs who know how to block, etc. Football is an 11 man game.
Yeah, where did you gather that I assumed the success or failure of this team falls on the QBs shoulders? Both qbs could operate this offense.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
In these trying times, no practice, unis 2 months from launch, and with the heat right around the corner, I want to hear your opinion on this matter.
At this level of football, would you rather have a QB that is an exceptional athlete that has never taken a snap from under center? Or a good athlete who has run a version of our O. What is more important? Having that speed and fluidity that can’t be taught? Or coming in with a knowledge of footwork and the mesh point at the BBack read?

We are talking about recruiting one or the other is that correct? In that case, I will go with the "stellar athlete" IF he understands that this is not high school where he was the best player on the field and gets the idea of distributing the ball. Of course, none of this matters if the blocking is not there. In this offense, more than any other I have seen on the Flats the line is absolutely critical and it is a really hard position to play especially tackles. Marshall really took a beating last year but some of that was self inflicted. We need improvement in just about every phase of the game but I will say I am comfortable with quarterback, B back, and guard on offense. On defense, well... we will see. Special teams? I like our punter and that's about it.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
I prefer a QB that is big, not necessarily the best athlete on the team but a good athlete none the less. He must be proficient at reads, the mesh, and the pitch as well as an accurate and strong armed passer. When and if it it is necessary to run himself, he should be hard to bring down.

A happy go lucky, if you can't beat them you might as well join them attitude towards our most hated rival ( that's UGA for those that haven't figured out yet or have gone squishy) would be an automatic disqualifier.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I’m really torn on this. I picked seasoned TO QB, but if the stellar athlete has a pretty good understanding of the TO and can run it with maybe less plays than the seasoned QB, I’m probably taking the stellar athlete. AKA JT in 2014.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I didn't imply it was your opinion, however when listening to pundits......QBs are all they talk about.
I’m really torn on this. I picked seasoned TO QB, but if the stellar athlete has a pretty good understanding of the TO and can run it with maybe less plays than the seasoned QB, I’m probably taking the stellar athlete. AKA JT in 2014.
im glad you understood the reason it’s a cool debate, thanks for your opinion.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I want the athlete. He’ll either train into a good QB or will become a decent player at another position.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

Jt actually had a pretty open playbook in 2014 we just rarely had to run anything beyond inside veer