World Travel Discussion

It is not looking good for ATL trip this year. Was hoping to catch either the Pitt or Louisville game.....but the scheduling gods saw fit to put them early in the season.....and my little guy has CYO football games.
Missing out on a fraternity reunion for the same reason during the B.G. game.
Add to that the Iceland portion of our vacation really blew the travel budget for the year. :arghh::arghh::arghh: $20 for a bowl of soup, $15 for fish and chips at a gas station.....$100 to fill up a VW Golf. (Though I did run into a few Tech grads there) .....also just got plane tickets to spend 4+ weeks in Australia next summer.
Yikes on the food costs in Iceland. I just got back from a trip to Greece, Crete, Albania, and Macedonia. I was on a tour, and fortunately, most meals were included in the cost of the tour, but even those we had to pay for were not overly expensive. And all were VERY GOOD. Sorry you won't be able to make it down this year.

Animal02

Banned
Yikes on the food costs in Iceland. I just got back from a trip to Greece, Crete, Albania, and Macedonia. I was on a tour, and fortunately, most meals were included in the cost of the tour, but even those we had to pay for were not overly expensive. And all were VERY GOOD. Sorry you won't be able to make it down this year.
Food was costing over $250 a day....and breakfast was included with the B&Bs / hotels. We flew Iceland Air taking "advantage" of the free layover in Iceland.....in hindsight, would have only done 3 days max. We spent two weeks in Ireland as well.....it was normal there, and good. I love Greece, though spent way too much $$$ back in the day on rugs and antiquities. :eek: Santorini was is one of my favorite places worldwide.

Food was costing over $250 a day....and breakfast was included with the B&Bs / hotels. We flew Iceland Air taking "advantage" of the free layover in Iceland.....in hindsight, would have only done 3 days max. We spent two weeks in Ireland as well.....it was normal there, and good. I love Greece, though spent way too much $$$ back in the day on rugs and antiquities. :eek: Santorini was is one of my favorite places worldwide.
Fortunately, I have all the rugs I need, and I have never bought any antiquities. In fact, the only souvenirs I buy on my trips anymore are t-shirts. I took a cruise several years ago that stopped at Santorini. It really is a beautiful place.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We did the same (layover in Iceland) some time back... I loved it like crazy but you are not kidding at how expensive it is. Just got back from Zurich - Rhine - Amsterdam - Brussels and it did the same to my pocket. Would like to do the trip that @Supersizethatorder-mutt just mentioned (Greece et al), it looks insanely beautiful. With my oldest off to college this year I won't be doing much travelling for a while though!

Animal02

Banned
Fortunately, I have all the rugs I need, and I have never bought any antiquities. In fact, the only souvenirs I buy on my trips anymore are t-shirts. I took a cruise several years ago that stopped at Santorini. It really is a beautiful place.
Greek rug merchant offered me some homemade wine......2.5 hrs later I was having a couple or rugs shipped back to the states ;)
I collect "pots" and alcohol in my travels. Try to pick up a piece that uses the local traditional methods....Stumbled across a shop in Athens that was licensed for export...:whistle:
As for the alcohol...I pick up an interesting bottle of something local.....never drink it....it just goes on the shelf as more memories.....though the bottle of Amazonian Liquor has to be shaken every once in a while because settles....looks liek red mud on the bottom and clear on the top. My favorite is a bottle of 'Vlad the Impaler" brandy from Romania. ;)

We did the same (layover in Iceland) some time back... I loved it like crazy but you are not kidding at how expensive it is. Just got back from Zurich - Rhine - Amsterdam - Brussels and it did the same to my pocket. Would like to do the trip that @Supersizethatorder-mutt just mentioned (Greece et al), it looks insanely beautiful. With my oldest off to college this year I won't be doing much travelling for a while though!
If you like organized tours (SMALL groups), that go to pretty cool places all over the globe, I HIGHLY recommend Overseas Adventure travel (www.oattravel.com). I have taken 13 trips with them over the past 8 or 9 years and loved everyone of them. The main incentive for me to use them is that I travel solo, and they don't charge a single supplement.

Greek rug merchant offered me some homemade wine......2.5 hrs later I was having a couple or rugs shipped back to the states ;)
I collect "pots" and alcohol in my travels. Try to pick up a piece that uses the local traditional methods....Stumbled across a shop in Athens that was licensed for export...:whistle:
As for the alcohol...I pick up an interesting bottle of something local.....never drink it....it just goes on the shelf as more memories.....though the bottle of Amazonian Liquor has to be shaken every once in a while because settles....looks liek red mud on the bottom and clear on the top. My favorite is a bottle of 'Vlad the Impaler" brandy from Romania. ;)
I have bought rugs in Turkey, Uzbekistan, and Iran. I definitely don't need any more. LOL I don't buy any booze to bring home on my trips, but I drink plenty of beer, and as of last year shots of brandy. The Raki in Greece is STRONG !!!

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I have bought rugs in Turkey, Uzbekistan, and Iran. I definitely don't need any more. LOL I don't buy any booze to bring home on my trips, but I drink plenty of beer, and as of last year shots of brandy. The Raki in Greece is STRONG !!!

Persian rugs???? In Iran????? That godless mooslim country????? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Damn, I may have to come to Augusta and bid for those rugs!!!!

Animal02

Banned
If you like organized tours (SMALL groups), that go to pretty cool places all over the globe, I HIGHLY recommend Overseas Adventure travel (www.oattravel.com). I have taken 13 trips with them over the past 8 or 9 years and loved everyone of them. The main incentive for me to use them is that I travel solo, and they don't charge a single supplement.
Some countries you needed the guided tours......Egypt, Turkey, China, etc. Most of Europe you can self guide.....but i would have been hopeless lost i Greece with their weird alphabet. I did drive all over Jordan in a rental car.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Bell Helicopter. I know. Yours was just the last post in the chain, and the most interesting!! Left 8 days before the Shah.

Damn, cut that a bit close!!! I got to know a lot of folks that fled before the Shah's fall but had to get out for a variety of reasons. Pains me to see what has happened between the US and Iran since.

Some countries you needed the guided tours......Egypt, Turkey, China, etc. Most of Europe you can self guide.....but i would have been hopeless lost i Greece with their weird alphabet. I did drive all over Jordan in a rental car.
Lots of English speaking Greeks in Greece, and throughout the Balkans, but at my age, a guided tour is the only way to go, regardless where. I did the EuRail pass thing in 2000 and earlier, but I probably wouldn't now.